Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well worked on my bike today and checked the float level and noticed that every one was high. So I pulled the carbs and adjusted the fuel level and this time checked it on a bench with the clear hose trick. Got them where I wanted which was about 4 mm from the top as per manual.

Carbs back on and she still only runs when I rev it. Now mind you I am filling the carbs by hand as the tank is off. I install air filter and she does a little better but still starving for gas it seems. I cover the air inlet almost completely with my hand and it runs even better.I am going to fiddle with it a little tomorrow and if it does not straighten out I am yanking the carbs and bringing them home and cooking up some lemon juice recipe.

Having checked holes 3 and 4 monday I decided to do a compression check on the other two. For an older bike this is as close to the same readings as I have seen. They both showed 176 and then I remembered to check wto which brought it to just past 180. My manual says 162-191 is standard with service limit 124-191 so I am happy there. Also I cleaned the electrical connections and am getting a nice blue spark across the board. I still plan to check the imput voltage to the coil just to be thorough.

What am I overlooking? I cleaned the carbs a couple months ago so now my mind is a bit fuzzy on the details. I do remember spraying cleaner through all the passages I saw and then air. I should have checked them again today when I was adjusting the floats. :confused:

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
The way I see it there are 1 of 2 things wrong here. Either you are not getting enough gas or you are getting too much air. The only thing that gets me is that if you put the choke on, you should be seeing it run better...

I would seriously consider taking the carbs back off and cleaning them with the lemon juice or something. It could be that there is gunk built up in the passages that spraying didn't quite get.

Also, how do the diaphrams look on the top? Any tears or cracks? That could cause some strange problems. The choke issue makes me think you should look these over closely.

The next step assuming neither of these is the problem would be to check for vacuum leaks. With the bike running, spray some WD-40 around the boots and see if it changes the way the bike runs. If it starts running better, then you may have a vacuum leak in the boots or some other part.

Lastly, how are the valves? Have they been checked for clearance lately?

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Do you have the airbox boots and filter installed?(I know,questions answering questions) Im just trying to understand too. Its late, Im tired, Im going to bed! Your first in the morning,.....I only showed up cuz you said u was cookin. Im alone for a week, gramas in st.louis,goodnight you two

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not think of an air leak. Will check that first thing. The diaphrams are good and working well. I really did not consider an air leak on the back side to be that big a deal. I pulled the intakes and sealed them with permatex aviation form-a-gasket. Will check the box side among other things.

Thanks for the ideas all. I need to get this baby rolling by the weekend. It is supposed to be 70 and sunny.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In your dreams maybe. :lol:
I like to dream big. :biggrin:

Yeah they change it every day. Last I saw it was supposed to be a 30% chance of rain friday and the rest of the week showed mostly sunny. I get up this morning and it is raining. :frown:

Just checked there site and now they are calling for flash flood watch today and 100% chance for rain tomorrow. Clearing out by sunday and temps mid to upper 60s.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
Yea I think the only thing we might get to do this weekend is practice our backstroke. I think if it ever dries out and we get a day with decent weather I'm going to wash/wax the bike and prep it for winter storage. :icon_frow

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Yea I think the only thing we might get to do this weekend is practice our backstroke. I think if it ever dries out and we get a day with decent weather I'm going to wash/wax the bike and prep it for winter storage. :icon_frow
Yeah, its still raining up here too, bummer!

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

They are saying here sunday the sun is coming out and it is going to be rather pleasant. Supposed to be nice most of next week. We will see.

No way I am putting mine in storage for the winter after being without for years and not even remembering what I was missing. We get enough nice days to where I can pull it out every now and again.

Oh and regarding the reason for this thread...thanks Mike. You hit the nail on the head with that air leak. I started it this morning and noticed it was revving too freely to be the pilot jets or slowspeed circuits. Everyone I ever dealt with with that issue would bog off idle but this one was revving freely and taking the gas as fast as I twisted it. Still would not idle so I got to looking at the boots and one had light around it so I put some masking tape around it to check it. Ran better but still not right. I would cover most of the air inlet and it would idle pretty as you pleased so I grabbed the wd40 and found the boot beside it was leaking a bit. I really need some new ones but right now $50 is not in my budget so I plan on sealing it until I can buy some new boots.

She started out smoking pretty good but I figured it was just from that atf and pb I had dumped in the plug holes what I got it. After awhile it seemed to quit smoking. Still I got to sync the carbs and a few odds and ends. So gonna run to home depot and get some clear tubing and a yard stick. :-D

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And it just goes on and on and on. Now they're saying 6-8 more inches by end of tomorrow for us. Looking at the movement on radar it looks like it might miss you Paul.
I looked at the radar a bit ago and you area is not looking good. We got rain today and they were calling for 100% tomorrow but you know how that goes.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
Yea I know all about that one. The event and origin of that song was from a time when he was growing up 13 miles from here.

It also looks like the front has jumped the big ditch and getting you now too. :lol:

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update.

First time on the road today. Bike was having trouble idling and I was sick of messing with the carbs so I decided to ride it out and see what happened. Ran some Berryman B12 in the carbs and dumped some more in the tank and set out riding. So I have probably put around 25 miles on it and she is doing much better at idling. Still needs a lot of little things taken care of but I am going riding tomorrow. I am going to find a quiet country road because it seems like a stallion wanting to gallop and all I been able to give her is a brief trot so far. Sweet music when she comes on the cams only to be told to tone it down. :icon_frow

Oh and mike...the weatherman says it is looking pretty all week. :biggrin:
Expanded View - 7 Day Forecast - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.