Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 600R with a loose cam chain. The stock automatic tensioner seems to not be doing its job. I am getting the infamous loud kawi engine noise. I know its the chain from pulling the valve cover and inspecting it. Its slapping around in there. I've heard mixed feelings about manual tensioners. Alot of people say that it completely cures the cam chain slap.

Anybody have any thoughts on me getting a manual tensioner or not? Anybody ever intsatlled one of these before? Seems pretty easy.

Here is the product (They also have them for the 600R)
ZX Zone - Cam Sprockets and Tensioners

Here is a good thread talking about them.
Cam Chain Tensioner - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
what year bike ? how many miles ? maybe chain is stretched and tensioner cant take up slack ? if its just the tensioner then theres no problem with going manual.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its a 1992 C model. It was a race bike, the owner blew the motor and replaced it with a 600R A model motor. I don't know the year of the motor. The owner said the motor has around 10,000 miles on it. My mechanic took a look at it and said it all looks look great and its a tight motor, except the chain is loose.

I've removed the valve cover and I can tell the chain is loose as well. I cant take a measurement of the chain its self as it is endless and in the middle of the motor between cylinders 2 and 3. I know that the tensioner is set correctly but the chain is still loose.

How can I tell if my tensioner is bad and not my chain?

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
How can I tell if my tensioner is bad and not my chain?
This may not have anything to do with the newer tensioners like your 92, but the older KZ automatic style could sometimes bind, and not extend all the way. Turn the engine to the proper position, and remove the tensioner. Maybe it can be repaired/cleaned/ or rebuilt to operational status. If the tensioner is in working condition, then maybe it is a stretched chain.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check the tensioner again, thanks. If the chain is stretched I'll need to completely dismantle the engine to replace it right? If so, could I get away with using a manual tensioner to run the bike for a little longer?

I do not have money for a complete rebuild, or enough knowledge for it. This is my second bike and I wanted to be able to get as much riding time out of it as possible. However, I do know the consequences for a timing chain to break/skip teeth.

The other option I have is to leave it alone. I know a buddy of mine who had a 750 around the same year as mine with a slapping chain and it ran hard for almost 30,000 miles. He sold it, still running. So I'm not sure of what to do. Apparently this is a common thing?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
This may not have anything to do with the newer tensioners like your 92, but the older KZ automatic style could sometimes bind, and not extend all the way. Turn the engine to the proper position, and remove the tensioner. Maybe it can be repaired/cleaned/ or rebuilt to operational status. If the tensioner is in working condition, then maybe it is a stretched chain.
Or worn guides. The service manual has info on inspecting the tensioner.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ya it should give you a spec for stretch over a certain length of chain which you can check with valve cover off..

i agree you should pull the tensioner first and make sure its working correctly/extending fully... if its bad then replace it with a manual and enjoy...

i personally would NOT run it with a noisey chain but then im a bike tech and hate all those little noises cars/bikes make..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts