Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today I freakin' wiped on my bike doin' about 5 mph in front of a cop. All because of some supid gravel/dirt on the road. It was right in the middle on an intersection, I was making a left had turn on to the main drag when suddenly wwhhhoooop! There goes the bike and it spun around on it's side once.
So, my question is, has any body else out there seen, heard of, or had this happen to them frequently? The reason I ask is because it's the second time this year and it's already getting old. I'm extrememly pissed that my state's D.O.T. is wasting my tax dollars and can't even street sweep once in a while. And yeah maybe the dirt/gravel hasn't been there for more than a day or two. But that's not the freakin' point. IT IS THERE!!!
Sorry for venting at you guys/girls ( gotta be p.c. ), but like I said I just crashed about 30 min before this posting. So please humor me and tell me if this kinda thing happens often enough that I don't think it's me ( and I don't think it is ).

·
Registered
91 Posts
My front wheel slid a bit on some gravel a week or so back. I did not lay it down though. Scarey feeling

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yeah, I had that happen only I hit it on a fast curve. I went down doing about 40mph and that was not good. Luckly a curb stopped me from sliding into the other lane of traffic. You just have to watch the pavement on corners. Get in a habit of doing it, especially if you havn't been there in a while.

·
Registered
487 Posts
we have alot of gravel roads that intersect the pavement around here so I'm always on the watch for loose gravel. the best thing to do is look for it, keep the bike as straight as possible and be going slow.

·
Registered
487 Posts
another thing that gets me is, people around here blow their grass clippings on the rode. I dove into a curve at 60mph and right in the middle there was grass. I was able to straighten the bike out a little before I hit it, but ended up doing a power slide into the on coming lane. thank God there wasn't any traffic coming. managed to keep the bike on its wheels but my azz was sore from sucking up half the seat into it. :lol:

·
Registered
447 Posts
We have a lot a of gravel on the roads around here also. :shock:

I have learned to watch out for it and when I'm coming up to an intersection (that's where gravel seems to gather up from gravel side roads) I try to stay in the wheel marks of other cars. That seems to be the cleanest part of the road.

Anyway I hope your bike is OK! :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, I do live in an area that always seems to be under construction so I'm usually on the lookout for gravel and what-not. I know it's extremely frustrating to lay your bike down for a stupid reason. Part of the ride I guess...

Hope it's not too bloody expensive to fix...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Front cowling scraped up and scratched, lower left fairing scraped, left mirror scraped, meter bracket holder broke, left bar end scraped, left fairing decal scraped, left foot peg ground down, and crank cover scraped. A lot of money for a 10mph accident!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Gravel and Road debris

Kawiben,

That is a very frustrating thing to happen. Many of us have had the same thing happen. I live on a country road and everytime it rains, gravel washes across several sections of the road. Just need to watch out of it....I drive on I65 down the middle of KY...they have construction going on everywhere and plus big gapping holeson the zipper lines that a bike tire could fall into...Bikers are busier than 4wheeler drivers. We have to watch out for everything, including the road!!!!!

Glad you are OK..Ride Safe

·
Registered
102 Posts
That happened to me last summer.

About 10mph, making a left turn from a stop, and the rear tire hit a patch of dirt and just spun out from underneath me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts