Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to loosen the bolt for the clutch basket on a 89 yz125 that i'm going to part out. I took a small gear off the transmission to stop the transmission from turning so i can loosen the bolt. It seems to be on really tight i'm using a 1/2 breaker bar...

What is a good less expensive air impact wrench to buy? Does that work good for loosening tight stubborn bolts?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Sears sells an electric impact driver that worked wonders on my 1600.
If you don't have access to a compressor, that's the only way to go... probably be able to rent one for $20 or so, you're only going to need it for about 30 seconds.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I had limited luck using air tools with my 1.5hp compressor... they simply don't have the CFM to operate anything much larger than an air ratchet. Mine wouldn't even spin a die grinder.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If your regulator is set anywhere @ 90psi or higher, any gun will zip the nut right off. A good basic air tool kit is the Campbell-hausfield kit from Wally-world; 1/2" impact, 3/8 ratchet, and some other stuff. Just be sure to use a good 6 point socket to avoid slipping or stripping the nut.

DO NOT use it to put it on. Just use a dab of blue Loctite and get it as tight as you can by hand using a 3/8 drive ratchet, not a 1/2 drive or use a Tq wrench to specs. Have a friend help. He can hold the basket by wrapping it with a rag to keep from tearing his hands up and get a better grip. Or you can invest $60 for the tool. (I use the friend mod).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my regulator is set at 110 right now and that seems to put out a pretty good burst of air. I haven't used any air tools with it but i'm going to try out an impact driver i need a better way of breaking tight bolts loose...

from what i can tell if you get a 1/2 with 230 or 250 ft/lbs on up it will probably do ok...

·
Registered
175 Posts
from what i can tell if you get a 1/2 with 230 or 250 ft/lbs on up it will probably do ok...
That will be more than enough due to the fact of the hammering action the gun uses. I have many pro tools like an IR that has 1000ft-lbs-reverse but turn it down to it's lowest setting, and a large compressor still regulated at 90psi and it still rips off any nut on a bike.
If you run any air tool at high pressures, it's actually bad for them. Always use an air tool oil, WD-40 if nothing else. There's lots of moisture in compressed air and your tools will rust inside.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice...i'll set the regulator at 90psi and try it out. I've read that the IR 231 is a good impact wrench for the price. I'll probably try out one of the cheaper northern tools that has 250 ft-lbs since it has good reviews...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a craftsman 1/2 impact wrench 340 fl/lbs max got it on sale for half price $19.99 and it worked great to loosen all the bolts. My compressor is a 10 gallon 1.3HP [email protected] psi and it worked good. The impact wrench has 3 torque setting for both forward and reverse which is nice...here's a link to the wrench i bought for half price it's a great deal

Craftsman 1/2 in. Impact Wrench - Model 19982 at Sears.com

·
Registered
895 Posts
I got a snap-on 1" air impact wrench for £25 but its useless on my 20gal 1hp compressor (OLD compressor) its worth if you can getting an idustrial size compressor like my work have (undoing wagon wheel nuts with a 2"1/4 is main job)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts