Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Beach invasions by appt.
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
Since my 600 mile service on my 900 Custom, I have had to add a quarter of a quart of oil to the girl in the last 1500 miles. Is this normal? There are no visible leaks. Maybe it's just my paranoid self and maybe the engine is not completely broken-in yet.
How much oil have others added and what seems to be "normal"? Any info is greatly aprreciated.
Thanks, and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I usually need to add a litre of oil between oil changes to my '05 1600 Classic. Seems to burn oil mostly on highway runs. Otherwise, runs great - just have to keep an eye on the oil glass.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not to sound like a smart a**, when you changed the oil, did you check your oil level when the bike was level (not on the kickstand)? In almost 11,000 miles and 4 oil changes, I have never an to add any oil to my 900.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Not to sound like a smart a**, when you changed the oil, did you check your oil level when the bike was level (not on the kickstand)? In almost 11,000 miles and 4 oil changes, I have never an to add any oil to my 900.
My Nad is the same, never needs extra oil between changes -no noticable oil drop.

Again not to be a smartarse, but simple things like changing the filter and forgetting to do the initial oil level check after running the motor a bit -could be the source of the apparent oil loss... :(

·
Beach invasions by appt.
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil level was good after change. I added 1/8 quart 600 miles ago and another 1/8 this morning. I bought an inspection mirror ($15 at Sears) to check oil while holding the bike level. Also works great for checking coolant level. I don't have a jack yet, (Christmas?). I will keep monitoring oil level as time goes by. If this continues, I guess she will be going to the stealr for a check-up.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
I never noticed any loss when I ran dino oil up to the 2500 mile mark. Then I switched to Mobil 1 Racing 4T and have had to add almost a 1/4 qt in 2000 miles. No dripping, no visible burning at the exhaust, plugs look good.

I've heard that this is normal for big V-twins, especially since nearly all my riding is highway cruising.

I'm gonna run it to the 5000 mile mark and then decide if I want to stay with synthetic or go back to dino.

·
Thats a Kawasaki?
220 Posts
I do a lot of high rev riding on my 800 and she never needs more oil. I take two or three 400mi round trips a month in the summer usually going about 80 indicated, sometimes more.... Scootworks for Christmas for some sprockets i am thinking

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
600 miles you are not broken in yet! Give her 1500 miles and you should see little or no oil consumption. You are just starting to see improved mpg at 600 miles. Everything needs to break in and seat. If it continues talk to the man.
IMHO

Keith

·
Registered
388 Posts
You should expect some oil consumption during the interval between oil changes, it is designed into the workings of the internal combustion engine. If no oil is being consumed then the parts are not doing their job. You do not want excessive consumption. I have an "06" Nomad with 18K and I change the oil every 5K with Full Synthetic Amsoil. I start out at the top of the full mark and at 5K my oil level is just below the top mark. You do not need to add oil until it hits the bottom of the mark, if you want. The manufacture will tell you if you have to add more than a quart between scheduled oil changes then you have a problem.

Have you ever been around some BMW riders? They are always adding oil.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
600 miles you are not broken in yet! Give her 1500 miles and you should see little or no oil consumption. You are just starting to see improved mpg at 600 miles. Everything needs to break in and seat. If it continues talk to the man.
IMHO

Keith
I've posted about this before, but I never saw any oil usage till I switched to synthetic at 2500 miles, and then not for the first 800 miles after switching. Figured if it was gonna lose oil it would have started before that. It's not enough to bother me yet, though. The first time I noticed it my level had went from the middle of the glass to right above the bottom line on the site glass. That was on a run that was a little over 200 miles. I have not seen it use as much since, but have had to add some to get back to the middle of the glass again after about 800-1000 more miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts