Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I live in New Jersey and i found a great Ninja 500R. The only problem is that the bike doesn't have a Title. What would i have to do to get a title for this bike. I don't know if the guy lost it or what. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Andrew9578

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well it has to go to the state DMV HQ and can take time, generally a month or two. Look up your state DMV on the internet and look there. Here in Florida it's pretty easy, aside from the waiting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
See if you can get the VIN and have it run to see if it's stolen. Ask the dude where the title is. Also with the VIN you should be able to see if it's a salvage title or not. Me, I'd just steer clear of it. If it has no title and it's a great deal there's probably something "strange" about it (stolen, salvage, etc).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i talked to the guy today about it. The guy was repainting it for someone. after the job was done, the owner wouldn't return his calls. After three years of trying, he's given up. He is selling the bike to recoup his losses and because he doesn't have the time to get it running again. He told me there is a place online that i could get a new title for it. He also said the title is clean.

Andrew9578

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i ndon't know how he knows about the title, but the guy is a custom painter, it was being pearl coated. The real question would be if i could get a title for it. I looked at my DMV's website but it said nothing about it. If anyone knows a webstie that might give me some info about this would be great.

Andrew9578

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I don't know how it is in NJ, but here in NY a friend of mine had a similar problem with a car he bought. Someone left the car and then skipped town. My friend bought the car from the people that housed it for 4 years and had to try to get a title. First thing he did was try to track down the previous owner. With no success he talked to the DMV. He was told that if a dealer could get a new title for it just as if it was repo'd or if someone passed away.

But, IMHO, stay clear of the bike unless the guy your buying it from get's his hands on the title. Don't let it be left up to you.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

generally speaking bikes without titles are worthless, but you never know,sometimes
you stumble upon something but often it lead to a dead end :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
even if i can't find a title, for 500 bucks it would be a great parts bike. It even has K&N pods and a full vanes and hines exhaust on it. so thanks for the info.

Andrew9578

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Definatly stay away from it, even if the Painter is on the level, there must be some legalese to complete before he can legally sell it. Even just for parts it would be a risk since you wouldn't want to have any problems with stolen parts found on your bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm going to run the VIN number tonight to see if anything comes up (like if it's stolen or something and go from there). I can see where your all coming from.

Andrew9578

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one other thing.... does anyone know where i can get a history report for a motorcycle.... i thought carfax would but they don't

Andrew9578

1 - 17 of 17 Posts