Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a locksmith that they can't make the keys for my bike cause it's too "hard". Is there someplace on the ignition that I can get the number to get a new key made? Any other info/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a LOT!!! Sam...is there someway I can "hotwire" my bike to get it to run???

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know for a fact that with VIN and registration, you can get a car key cut from the dealer. Not sure about bikes. Other option is to replace the ignition. to get it running, bridge the starter selenoid with a quarter or screwdriver.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The kawi dealership should be able to get you a key cut with the VIN and registration, you might not even need registration. but I'd take it with you anyway. Or you can find a locksmith that will cut you a key, they can do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
speaking from experience.. bad experience I can tell you a locksmith can make you a key if you bring him your ignition, some are just not good enough to do it.

When I first started riding I "lost" my ignition key. I would suggest unhooking the wiring harness, should be just a few inches away from the ignition just far enough away the harness is out of sight. And don't have a 250 anymore but my fzr had torx screws to unscrew and then it was easy from there.

Just remeber if you do get another ignition make it the last resort it was such a pain to have seperate keys for the ignition and tank/seat. Oh and buy your ignition from dennis kirk, my dealer charged me $80 for a ignition I could have bought in DK for $25!!

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
KEY!

Beartooth...the sponsor of this forum can give you the straight skinny...
They have a toll free number, too! The bad thing is that a "Real Locksmith" can make a key for anything...some of the equipment is expensive...but it is available...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most Kwaks (well ok some, and I know my EX500 does) have a anti-hotwire circuit which means if you short round the ignition switch you don't get a spark from the CDI.

Not sure what the general consensus is over saying what the solution is (its on the web elsewhere as that's where I found it, and I can confirm having had my switch apart that its true). On the other hand, don't want some kiddie reading this and riding off with my bike :-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem. I took the Ignition off and dropped it off at a locksmith, and had it back in an hour. Gotta find a good one though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your Ninja when new had a small metal tag that would have been on the key ring with the two keys supplied this is the key number needed to get a new key from a Kawasaki dealer.

In the front of the Service and warrenty book also supplied new with the bike there is on the second page a box to write the key number in as a back up if the tag is lost.

If you have neither the tag or the number in the book then i am afraid it is as others have said a good locksmith..

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes...call every locksmith around....we get people driving more than an hour to have us make keys for their motorcycle. In fact, if a locksmith is good enough you will not have to take in your ignition, just bring in the bike...truck, trailer, etc. Heck we have had them brought in a mini-van...tight squeeze! get prices too...we have had people drive further to come to us, because we were half the price.

Call dealerships and see who they use for keys. Chances are they will have a name for you and someone who is good, and reasonably priced. I do alot of work for a dealership whom is the biggest dealership I know of. Last, I checked, they said they kept 1000 units on hand(new and used), and that was before they filled the warehouse with shelves having 2 shelves...bikes 3 high counting the floor. Prolly 1/3 of our work is referrals by them.

I can tell you we are in a medium city and we usually charge $35 for the first key. If you can take the ignition off, then 23.50, but if you can bring the bike in whole, then it is prolly not worth the effort to remove the ignition. We usually charge within the city limits 75 to come on sight and make the key.

I will tell you this, most manufacturers do not keep records according to VIN, except Harley Davidson.

This dealership also acts as a distributor, and I have been there to make keys for bikes fresh from the manufacturer, because keys were lost between the factory and their warehouse.

·
itching to ride
2,229 Posts
Aww hush. :wink:
I thought it more a plug for locksmiths. :lol:

In related news I decided to get an extra key for mine and went to a local store. After searching through their blanks the lad said 'we don't have anything close to it'. Then it dawned on me why I see so many key blanks on ebay.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts

·
itching to ride
2,229 Posts
You gotta know how to deal with ebay's search. It was designed by retarded kids I think. Not anything against retarded kids but ebay could do better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had to get the blank from KAW dealer and take it to an "old" hardware store to get it cut. Dealer couldn't do it. Wallyworld and big box stores couldn't do it. Works fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts