Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1978 Kawa KZ650 Custom and I'm wondering where the key code is or where I can find a replacement key? Thanks!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Take the ignition out, then find a reputable locksmith. He will be able to make you a new key. If that fails, buy a new ignition switch, they come with 2 new keys.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
guess that covers it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some old Kaws have a four number code stamped on the ignition switch.
When you remove the switch, check to see if there's a code (the KZ650-CSRs & 750-Ltd-4s have it).
The numbers are often times hard to read. JMK.
bingo........;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Looks like you should have a eighthundred series key. Possibly #801 or #845. What is the correct name for your 650 custom ? C2 ? D1 ? D1A ?

·
Registered
792 Posts
The 800 series code will be on either the seat lock or Ignition switch. In plain site, where anyone can see it. So once you've got yourself a new key, file off the numbers.

A locksmith can cut a key by the code number, or you can also order them online.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A word of caution,,,,,, when the new key is made for the ignition make sure it will work the gas cap,,,,,,,,,, I learned the hard way.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
A word of caution,,,,,, when the new key is made for the ignition make sure it will work the gas cap,,,,,,,,,, I learned the hard way.
I thought most KZ gas caps can be opened with any key? I don't think the gas cap lock is very advanced, a screwdriver or knife blade will open it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Its not only the old kawa's that have the key code. I took my helmet lock off to get the code to get 2 factory keys made. I only got one key when I bought my ninja and its twisted ><. So I wanted new keys so I don't fk up my ignition or even worse, break the key off in it lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts