Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weve been having trouble getting the bike started the past couple of days. It clicks really loud everytime I press the starter, so tried it with the choke off and nothing...So finally after about 5 or 6 trys it starts. Well today it was the same thing finally got it started with the choke up half way and a little gas. The same loud clicking before it started. Turned the bike off went inside for a little bit. Came back out and tryed to get it started again and it clicked really loud again then sounded like something snapped and now it sounds as if its just spinning but not even attached to the engine...
Sorry about sounding like an idiot but its the only way I can describe it. Any help would be apreciated.
The bike is an old 91 zx7

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
May be your idle gear that spins your starter. Don't know for sure without taking the starter apart.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
The clicking noise might be coming from the starter relay. Clean the contacts & cables rear good on the relay, as well as the cables/posts on the starter.

If you are experiencing any intermittent connectivity pull the throttle housing apart, and clean the contacts to the starter button and kill switch. I clean where I can with a wire brush and then spray electrical contact cleaner in there.

You might be able to replace the idle gear - I don't know why not but I'm not sure either. Here is the starter. The entire starter is a bit pricey but I've gotten used ones off eBay for as little as $25.

Good luck.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Defiantly get any parts you need off e-bay if you can. When the starter went on my old FJ600, Yamaha wanted to charge me something like $200, getting it rebuilt would have cost me about a $100 or so. I ended up finding one on e-bay that worked perfectly for $30

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, we finnally got it all taken apart today. The starter seems to be ok but the starter clutch is what finnally gave. Got it ordered along with the gasket today, so it should get here in about a week. Will keep ya posted with the outcome. Thanks for all your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts