Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I hate them and it pisses me off. What are all your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Extremely annoying. There is absolutely no need for some of the pipes out there.

There is a line, though. Something like a Muzzy is ok passing by (not revving through a neighboorhood or idling for 20 minutes). I hate to stereotype, because I'm sure there are sportbikes that are just as bad, but the Harleys with the straight pipes are just obnoxious and I can't believe they get away with it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree there is a line in the sand-

i don't really mind it if the rider doesn't abuse it , i have drag pipes on my harley but i don't rev the bike in areas where you know it would be improper-schools,churches,tight city streets etc. i did'nt install them to be cool either,i did it for performance,in fact all my bikes and cars have modified exhaust and they can all be loud,i guess it depends on the individual.i don't buy the loud pipes save lives thing-smart riding does that

can't say i haven't blipped the grip a few times going thru underwater tunnels though :twisted:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think I can be a pretty easily irritated person, and I like peace and quiet, but it's funny that loud pipes really don't bother me. I don't know why.

But I want my pipes to be as quiet as possible. Noise doesn't impress me.

My vote says "different strokes for different folks" on this one.
Curt

·
Registered
134 Posts
mpoertner said:
Personally I hate them and it pisses me off. What are all your thoughts on it?
I think loud pipes indicate a sad need for attention. :eek:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
PIPES

I'd like to have a dial for this question ad for my bike...In the CITY I'd keep them perhaps normal to somewhat loud, interstate louder, between cities loud (because it's all behind me), in my own neighborhood, or in my small town, around the senior citizen centers, hospitals etc, WHISPER MODE. I think something as quiet as a hummingbird would be nice...we have horns, lights...and ears, that don't need to be abused!

·
Registered
128 Posts
some stock pipes can be loud too... i know that on my 500R it gets fairly loud above 7000 rpm... for that reason i keep it below 5k in neighborhoods, and near schools and such... but yes there is a line.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Well, i always say, If you can't hear it before you see it, whats the point? lol, but seriously, My neighbor has a vulcan 1800 (I think.... :roll: ) with striaght pipes. I hate getting waken up in the middle of the night by it. Of course i live next to a free way, so at night i can hear the sport bikes sreacming through. There is a limit, like me neighboor LOVES to whind his bike out on our street, its so annoying. Its the sound it gives, its like a hundred gun shots every minute, sport bikes aren't so bad, because they release a sort of whine instead of the scream i get from that 1800 (If there is such a thing.... :roll:) striaght pipes are annoying when you let loose in a friggin neighboor hood. "MAFUGGA woke me up!", that's EVERY night for me. Its so old.

Peter.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've got loud pipes, but I keep it on the down low when I'm gonna be disturbing other people. I know there are many times people heard my bike when they didn't particularly see it. I do loud for performance, but I've seen some harley guys with louder pipes than any D&D system on any sportbike I've seen.

·
Registered
837 Posts
:? most cruisers like semi to loud exhaust...sport bikes have their own sound as dirt bikes do also...personally...i like my vance and hines straight shots with the baffles in ..its loud enough when gettin on the throttle and yet its toned down when just cruisin around.....keep it toned down where need be but ride like i want to the rest of the time :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRUE!

True "bud8fan" but what are you running, that you like!!! Little endorsement here...

·
Registered
395 Posts
After giving this post some thought, I'd like to throw out a something that happened to me several years ago.

My wife and I were driving up a hill in the Vega (remember those???). Along the side of the hill was road, also a hill, that was hidden by trees. This road almost Y'd onto the road that we were driving on. To clarify, he was coming downhill, blind, into a Y, where he would have been headed up hill. What this guy was thinking is beyond me. I heard him coming down the hill, changing gears as he went. Needless to say, when I got to the intersection, I knew he wasn't going to stop, so I did. He hit the dip in the intersection, the bike lowsided and spun around about four or five times with him still on it. Damage to him and the bike was minimal under the circumstances. Needless to say, if I hadn't heard him and stopped, he would not have walked away. Do loud pipes save lives? In this case, yes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
your a helluva man jonesie to admit to owning a vega :shock: :lol:

but i do remember they built some GT versions of that car that had cast iron cylinder
sleeves that lasted awhile-and those cars are rare now :wink:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I too must admit to it. My very first car was a most unimpressive 1976 Chevy Vega with the flat side 4 cyl engine that to my understanding was built by GM as a compressor motor, on this point, I could be wrong..... . :oops: :oops:

But there is one redeeming factor in that car for a teenager, that is, the backseat folded down to make a great horizontal area, if you catch my drift. To this day, I hold just a little fondess for the classic vega.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Hey Jonesie,

you and I should start a ex-Vega drivers forumn, we could all get together and discuss the excellent engineering, the rust off the showroom floor and the plentyful power of the classic vega.

what do you think?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the D&D show and go pipe on my 500 and I will admit, it is too freakin loud for my taste, but I'm only gonna have this bike for another year or so then it's 636 Ninja time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts