Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I don't watch major network TV due to thier obvious bias against all things that I like. It will be the obvious hit piece.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the "heads-up" . It might be wise to see what we have to argue about.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I just bought new pipes, I dont even have them on yet. I hope they are louder!! LOL Guess I will keep watching fox.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My pipes have kept pedestrians from walking out in front of me and cars from weaving over in my lane because they knew a bike was in the vicinity. There is no doubt loud pipes increase a bike's "presence" in the 'steel river' of the nation's highways and byways. The folks who say loud pipes do not save lives are basing their opinion solely on the fact that cross traffic and pull-outs AHEAD of the oncoming motorcycle will not hear the pipes whether they are stock or not - while that is true, the previous issues stated above outweigh this point.
To stop the "Janklows", we need to be as visible as possible (light bars and/or modulating headlights) as well as a justice system that is fair. For the lane-changers/drifters and folks with blind spots, our loud pipes will give us a presence.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Gee, complaints and opinions from the mainstream on something they neither participate in or are personally familiar with, how different :shock: Picking on SUV's must have been hitting too close to home.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Biker's get a bad rap no matter what it's all bull**** .
A bunch of do gooders with nothing better to do .LOUD PIPES FOREVER.....................

·
Registered
233 Posts
love the part about the car alarm ...LOL a guy just down the road has an ancient trans-am that he thinks is a master piece .any time i ride by I "test" his alarm for him.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
TimR said:
love the part about the car alarm ...LOL a guy just down the road has an ancient trans-am that he thinks is a master piece .any time i ride by I "test" his alarm for him.

Does the guy with the TA look a little like the dude in this picture?
"Run Bandit Run"
lmol

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

if he owns the same car as that little guy - it is a masterpiece :lol:

·
Registered
459 Posts
We need to understand why this is happening. Years ago, you would hear the occasional loud-piped bike. No big deal, except if the guy came roaring in at 3AM to wake up all 50 houses on the street. Usually, in a neighborly fashion, this was dealt with privately. This is going back to the 60's and 70's. Since then, a lot has happened. Millions of bikes have been added to the streets. And millions of bikes now have loud pipes. People are finding out that this is all they hear all day and night, and they're getting tired of it. They are starting to press legislators to start legislating. Most people are tolerant, but only up to a point. When it becomes excessive to the "reasonable man", things start happening. I know I would have a problem with someone waking me up at 3AM every night. And I've been riding on and off since 1970, so I am sympathetic with motorcyclists. But we all see what is happening.
I agree that under some circumstances, loud pipes can be an assist in saving your hide. But if one regularly rides in a car's blind spot, one is asking for trouble. I either speed up or drop back some, whether on the highway or regular 4-lane roads. Ride like you're invisible, because you are.
Another thing, wait until the "new" inspections come to your state. This is where they plug into the bike's computer to see if all the engine codes are OK. They started this in NH Oct 1, 2004. The dealers were notified that bikes would now be included in this. A dealer told me this on Wednesday. You better get used to swapping the stock pipes & cat convertor, in place of any aftermarket pipes, every year in order to pass. I hope the length of this missive is OK with you folks. I just wanted everyone to see why this is happening.
Rode safely

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Ok, loud pipes can be irritating, but what about those **** boomcars, where's the story on them. They are way more obnoxous than pipes on a bike. I get woke up about 10 times a night by the window rattling assholes. That's the main reason I want loud pipes, so when one of the boomcars pulls up side of me at a light, I can rattle his windows.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
bluestringer said:
Ok, loud pipes can be irritating, but what about those **** boomcars, where's the story on them. They are way more obnoxous than pipes on a bike. I get woke up about 10 times a night by the window rattling assholes. That's the main reason I want loud pipes, so when one of the boomcars pulls up side of me at a light, I can rattle his windows.

BOOM...BA...BOOM...BOOM...BA...BOOM...See....even in here I can hear them! LOL

I agree....you can pick on alot of different things in todays society in just about all communities and find "noise makers". Where's it going to end? I don't know....but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they start with boomcars! This has become a "right of passage" for the people involved in it....and of course they think it's cool to have the loudest "noise" booming as they ride around the neighboorhood. Some day I can see these people all wearing hearing aids. I haven't heard of this about people who have loud pipes. ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
You have proven my point. You are voicing your displeasure exactly the way non-bike people are talking about loud pipes. There are several communities in NH that have outlawed boomcars. There are stiff fines for those drivers. Too many people have complained, which forced legislators to legislate. That's the equation in almost any circumstance. When anything gets too excessive, things will happen, and the results are rarely pretty. The pendulum then swings TOO far in the opposite direction. We are seeing that now, and will be seeing more, starting with the "NEW" inspections.
Ride safely

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
SteveA said:
You have proven my point. You are voicing your displeasure exactly the way non-bike people are talking about loud pipes. There are several communities in NH that have outlawed boomcars. There are stiff fines for those drivers. Too many people have complained, which forced legislators to legislate. That's the equation in almost any circumstance. When anything gets too excessive, things will happen, and the results are rarely pretty. The pendulum then swings TOO far in the opposite direction. We are seeing that now, and will be seeing more, starting with the "NEW" inspections.
Ride safely

That's all well and good if it's fair. Boomcars are a problem all over, but you don't see news stories about it. We have a noise ordinance here in my hometown, but it's not enforced on the boomcars.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
SteveA said:
Ride safely

No argument here....I can understand why people complain about anything that makes noise. I would be complaining about loud pipes also if it became a problem here where I live. My small town community seems to be OK when it comes to noise and I haven't heard others complain about noise issues related to loud pipes. When I start my bike in the A.M I know it can be heard as it idles for a couple of minutes until I leave. I never rev the engine at home to keep the issue a mute one. My neighbors have heard it idleing and running and have never complained. I asked my next door neighbor if it's too loud and he said no. I'm sure others may have a different opinion. It just depends on how sensitive of an issue it is in different communities.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I watched 20/20 last night. A lot of hype and not much substance. Seemed to me that John Stossel is runnig out of quality story material. Anyway, loud pipes help keep me (and my passenger) safe and noticed. And that is primarily what I am concerned about.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
...besides, who'd amongst us would like to ride a sewing machine when we can ride on a powerful beast?

·
Registered
950 Posts
My 800a has a computer that a diagnostic-computer can be hooked into!?!

According to the local dealer, they make so much money from cruiser exhaust systems, that to stop selling/installing them would cause the the business to fold. Appearently, these more mark-up on a "pipe job" for a Yamaha cruiser than for the Yamaha cruiser itself!

And what about Harley-Davidson? Is the state supposed to impound every HD motorcycle on the road it encounters (except the three 2003 100th. anniversary 883 sportsters that somebody has in a secret underground storage garage, waiting for his investment to be worth $50,000,000.00) since I dont even think I've ever seen a harley brand exhaust. i think they come with vance&hines drag pipes from the factory.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts