Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a left-over, "Low and Mean" engine cover for a really good price. I did a photo mockup to see how it might look on my bike..... What do you think?

I need help finding a company to chrome plate it. It's made of fiberglass. It seems chroming fiberglass is tougher than other plastics. If I decide to install it, I want it chrome. I found a company in Miami that does good work but it comes with a price of $350. I'm thinking $150 to $250 if possible. Maybe not, but it's worth asking.

Anyone have a suggestion for a non metallic chrome plating source? Anyone have any experience with these covers? Any know of any potential problems? They are more popular in Europe. Haven't noticed may in the USA.

The quality is very good. It's very rigid. I've alway been intrigued by the look. They are a not available for Mean Streaks from Low and Mean at this time. May never be again.

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an option I had not considered. Quick math puts the material cost at about $80.00. Maybe less. That's not bad. By chance, have you seen anything finished with it. Has anyone used or seen anything finished in Mirra Chrome Paint. There is a video on YouTube. It's hard to really tell the true finish. Looks good on the video.

I have a quality HVLP gun so I'm halfway there. I'll keep that option open.

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts
I remember seeing it on a website where it was used..if I can shake the cobwebs from between my ears where, I`ll pass it along..

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found another one. Eastwood's Liquid Chrome. $99.00 for the kit.

Watching there video got me to thinking.... It may be a long shot, but I think I'm going to try something off the wall. Hear me out before you laugh. Krylon has a chrome spray paint. Krylon is pretty tough paint. We use it quite a bit though I've never use that particular paint. To test it first, I'll use a scrap piece of plastic. I'll spray three or four good coats, let it dry. After it's good and hard I'll wet sand it real smooth. On top of that I will spray a durabable urethane satin clear that we have here at my business.

I did something similar once with a metallic urethane copper paint. It didn't come out real shiny because it wasn't that kind of paint. What I remember is it didn't look like paint because the wet sanding took out all the spray texture and the clear brought back the metallic finish. It looked like real copper.

It just might work. To find out is less than $10.00 and some sanding time. Time I got. Money.... not so much.

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts
You might want to clearcoat it with Krylon GLOSS clear..a lotta coats. Then wet sand it with 2000 or 3000 sand paper to get the dust pimples off...compound the heck out of it with a fine compound and make it shine like glass..I think it might give the results you`re looking for..
I would do it with a test panel first to save time and effort.If you don`t like the results you won`t be having to strip the new part again..

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I dunno. I think you ought to photoshop that in the bike's tank color and see what it looks like...

...or black-out it and the shaft cover and see how it looks.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to clearcoat it with Krylon GLOSS clear..a lotta coats. Then wet sand it with 2000 or 3000 sand paper to get the dust pimples off...compound the heck out of it with a fine compound and make it shine like glass..I think it might give the results you`re looking for..
I would do it with a test panel first to save time and effort.If you don`t like the results you won`t be having to strip the new part again..
That's pretty much what it comes down to. Paying to get it plated or a bunch of sweat equity sanding and componding. I started a test panel yesterday. It's going to take time to get results. I will share what I find, good or bad. Side by side to chrome, chrome is going to look better. If I do the shaft cover too then It might look good enough to pass as chrome with a casual glance.

Painting the engine and shaft cover black looks good. I've seen it before on red an black SE's. What bothers me some is that the right side on my bike would still be all chrome.

Still wouldn't mind hearing from anyone with experience with any of the chrome paint kits like the Eastwood's Liquid Chrome.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DGM Chrome looks like a great referral. Do you know them personally? I called and spoke with Don, the owner. He was very helpful. He gave me a lot of his time. I'm going to have him chrome the sissy bar for sure. He's also going to quote the engine cover.

Many thanks for referring them.

·
Sick Puppy
3,210 Posts
He grew up down the street from me and I saw his work (metal and plastic coating) when it was his fathers shop. You should have seen his 442.

Rick Szafranski

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a black mockup. I have to say it looks good too. I'm still partial to chrome. A lot has to do with the right side of the engine still being all chrome. It would sort of be like a mullet hair cut on motorcycle. The red was a big no! Too much red.

Did I mention that the intake filter cover is going to go. Just haven't bothered to remove the crossover tube yet.

Still working on the Chrome paint experiment. Report back later on that.

·
Hangin' by a thread.....
619 Posts
I think the black looks good. Maybe just do the round center section in chrome. Or do the right side lower covers in black also.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the black looks good. Maybe just do the round center section in chrome. Or do the right side lower covers in black also.
Painting the right side would be a major undertaking to do properly. Probably involve splitting the case. A satin black to match the frame would look good on the left. Chroming a piece to fit the circle would begin to tie the two sides together. The "Panther Mean Streak" is black on one side and chrome on the other. I noticed it right away and thought it odd. I'm just not sure about it. The chrome circle does have some merit. I'll give it some thought. Maybe a place for me to get my own creativity going.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have it worked out. It's going to be cheaper too. Black has to be the new chrome. Most comments leaned to black. I'm going to go with bikersfun's suggestion and do it black with just the circle chrome. The chrome circle brings a enough chrome to the left side to balance out with the chrome on the engine's right side. Sissy bar will still be chrome. It will balance with all the chrome on the top of the bike.

Thanks to those that helped me work this out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts