Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Vn900 Classic. Yesterday I rode my bike really low on fuel. The needle was right on the E and even dipped lower sometimes. My low light never did come on. I'm wondering if the bulb is burned out. Can someone tell me is your low fuel light supposed to come on when you first turn the key to the on position? Mine doesn't. If it's supposed to then I'll know it's the bulb.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Unfortunately, the VN900's fuel gauge isn't that accurate. However, the low fuel light is. I often ride my 900 to E on the gauge without the light on. My light comes one with 1.2 gallons left in the tank the gauge shows E at 1.6 gallons left in the tank. I usually go by miles on the Odometer - I try to fuel up at 150-180 miles - I have gotten 200 miles on a tank but I was a nervous wreck by the time I got to the station.

How many miles did you have on your tank when you were at E?

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
The low fuel light does not do a bulb check on start up. I notice the light will come on slowly as it starts to get low (about 180-200 miles) and initially it will go away on acceleration until the fuel level gets low enough that the fuel slopping in the tank allows it to stay on constantly. With a 5.3 gallon fuel tank at 45 mpg, you should get up to 240 miles before running 'out' of gas.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had never seen my light come on also. I did the resistor mod and now the gauge is just above "E" when the light comes on - right around 195 miles.

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
Unfortunately, the VN900's fuel gauge isn't that accurate. However, the low fuel light is. I often ride my 900 to E on the gauge without the light on. My light comes one with 1.2 gallons left in the tank the gauge shows E at 1.6 gallons left in the tank. I usually go by miles on the Odometer - I try to fuel up at 150-180 miles - I have gotten 200 miles on a tank but I was a nervous wreck by the time I got to the station.

Same here. My needle is on empty way before I need gas. My low fuel light came on the other day from the first time. Based on the amount of gallons the bike took, it came on with 1.4 gallons left in the tank. I used to get about 45 mpg around town and 55 - 60 mpg on the highway. Just installed new pipes and my highway mileage dropped to 45 mpg. Big difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This was my first ride with the bike which I got with about 1/4 of a tank. The plan was to run it down until the light came on, then do the gauge mod with the resistors, but the light hadn't come on. Now that I've filled it up and done the mod I'll have to try again to see if the light works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had never seen my light come on also. I did the resistor mod and now the gauge is just above "E" when the light comes on - right around 195 miles.
That sounds about right. I think the mod is the way to go but after the mod I think empty is EMPTY.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ya... when you refilled with the gauge on "E" and the light off, how much did it take? I'm betting 3.5 gallons or less.
That's a 5.3 gallon tank... about 5 usable.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Not sure why everyone complains about the fuel gauge being off. Personally I like that when the light comes on I know I have 1 gallon or about 40 miles before I'm sitting on the side of road. I really don't want the light coming on as the bike starts to sputter. That's a little too late if you ask me. Mine comes on at about 180-190miles

·
Registered
141 Posts
The bottom line is - I paid for a fuel gauge and I have a reasonable expectation that it will be accurate. Are there other methods to know when to fuel? Of course there are, but I shouldn't have to monitor the trip odometer or fuel light when the gauge should be properly designed. Why bother putting it there if it's useless?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
It's a GAUGE... it's not a meter.
By virtue of the design of motorcycle tanks, it is impossible to make a gauge that will be totally accurate. The tank is basically two tanks split by a wall. As the bike leans, fuel sloshes back and forth. This will significantly impact the level that the gauge reads.

Be happy that you have SOMETHING. Even today, very few bikes have gas gauges. Most fuel injected bikes DO have a low fuel light, but that is since they no longer have petcocks and thus have no reserve... the low fuel light is your reserve.

Personally, I'd rather have a gauge that was on "E" by the time (or before) the light comes on. Treat the "E" as "Reserve" and the light as "You're gonna' push"

The 1600 has a "gauge", but it's only 5 LCD segments...
(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)
Each segment is ROUGHLY 1 gallon, but the bottom segment never goes out, even when the tank is empty. The light comes on with a little under a gallon remaining.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
+1 Rich. I think the whole point of the light is to be the same as the 'reserve' on bikes with reserves. My old bike that was how I knew when to fill up when I switched to reserve. Reserve on most bikes is also a gallon same as the low fuel light on our bikes. Personally I like to know I got 40 miles left when the light comes on as the remote stretches here in ND the fuel stops are really far apart. I've also noticed my gauge reads lower than it is when on the highway so that added security is nice.

The dummy light on my car comes on with 2 gallons left in my tank. At that point my gauge is on the red right next to the 'E' Does this mean the gauge in my car isn't accorate as well? No. Do you expect the Low Fuel warning in car to come on right when your empty as well?

·
Not A Wild Hog
291 Posts
My fuel gauge used to be way off, like most every other 900 I have heard about. The dealer replaced the sending unit and now I have a little over 1 gallon left, when my gauge hits E. My low fuel light also comes on precisely when my gauge hits E now.
The dealer told me they had to call Kawasaki to get the part number for the sending unit assembly, because it wasn't listed in their catalog (at the time mine was replaced). They also said the float arm was at a different angle, than the original they pulled out of my tank. Kawasaki knows there is a problem, but don't want to broadcast it.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
The VN900 fuel level monitoring system certainly is an improvement over the old petcock system. Rolling along at 70mph and suddenly losing half the engine, and then fumbling with the petcock on that side to move it to the reserve position while maintaining control was no fun, especially if the petcock was on the throttle side of the bike. But I would like the VN900 gauge to be more accurate. It was disconcerting to have the gauge go to "E" the first time while being some distance from a gas station. I pulled off the road to have a visual look at the tank and there was quite a lot of fuel left. At fill up it took about four gallons. It is a bit too easy to figure that one can basically ignore the gas gauge, which isn't a good idea here where towns where one can fuel up are 30 miles or much more apart.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
just use your trip mileage, and fill up every 200 miles around 190 your fuel light will come on, usually I put in around 4.3 and 4.4 at that point

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do you expect the Low Fuel warning in car to come on right when your empty as well?
I expect the light to come on when I hit "Reserve" level ... but I DON"T expect the gauge to read "E" when I still have half a tank of gas left. That's why I did the resistor mod - the light comes on when the gauge is just above E and I still have a bit over a gallon left, when the needle gets to E .... it is EMPTY.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I bought my 900 custom the fuel guage never registerd to full, even after I filled it to the brimm. The low warning light never came on either, even when the needle went below E. I had the dealer replace it under warranty, after that It has worked perfectly.

·
Registered
661 Posts

It is if you get it replaced with the new improved version which the dealer should do under warranty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts