Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2006 Vulcan Classic. I have filled it up about 3 times in the last week. After last fill up with just in town driving my fuel light is coming on with just over 100 miles on it? I will fill up today at lunch to see how much fuel was left, but I find that strange, that it should come on so soon. I also noticed after a took a turn the light went off for a few seconds, and then came back on. Is the low fuel gauge on a certain side of the tank?

Flanman

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
My 900 comes on at 180 miles exactly. When it first lights, if you lean the bike over a lot, or do a lot of stop and go driving, it will go out then come back on as the fuel levels out. I'm sure the placement is on one side and toward the back. I haven't looked in the manual to see where exactly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe you have a loose connection on the molex connector under the gage, or a short in the wire

·
Registered
241 Posts
my 06 1500 classic has same problem. It just comes on way too early. The most frustrating part is that I like to get mine out and cruise through town on every errand my wife sends me on. mileage on mine sucks in town. get it out on the highway and she gets way better mileage. with all the mixed riding i do i cant get a good handle on how many miles i should push her after the light comes on. I have never had any problems getting to 150 or so on the low fuel light putting in around 4 to 4.5 gallons. thus, i simply ride her to 150 per tank and fill her up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just filled it up at the gas station and took 3 gallons. That means I had 2 gallons still in the tank. Very strange as the fuel gauge also was showing me just about out of gas as well with 2 gallons left. Makes me wish these had some type of reserve so I can test it just once and see how far it goes on a full tank.
I also noticed better mileage on freeway driving as last week I hit close to 170 miles before the light came on during a day trip.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The light will flicker a bit when it first comes on... then within about 5-10 miles it'll be on steady. At that point, you should have about a gallon usable.

As for it coming on at 100 miles, the earliest mine has come on has been about 120. Make sure that you are filling the tank with the bike on the sidestand, not upright.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich Lockyer... thanks for the tip. I am filling the tank with the bike straight up. Just curious, but what does having the bike leaning change how the tank is filled?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
When the bike is straight up, the fuel cap is not the highest point in the tank, so you end up with air trapped under the console.

However, do not fill the tank on the sidestand and then pop the cap with the bike upright.

It is recommended to fill to the bottom of the baffle in the filler, but if you have a non-California model and are not going to be immediately parking, you can (and I do) fill well past that and up into the neck.

But by filling the tank upright, you are shorting yourself by probably a gallon or close to it.

BTW: The last segment on the LCD "gauge" never goes out. I've actually put 5.4 gallons (in my 5.3 gallon tank) more than once and the 5th block is still on. One of the guys on Delphi intentionally ran dry to see when the light came on and he got about 30 miles past a steady light.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, will note that when I fill up next. My gauge is not digital and when I have filled up the gauge will show just over the F so I figured that was accurate and full.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The gauges are notoriously "off" (look at the threads about the 900 where the gauge is showing empty LONG before the light comes on).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a '07 900 Classic and my light comes on between 180-200. I can get close to 250 miles on a tank but that leaves me with only about .2 gallons to walk on... I don't know if your's is a 900 or larger, but the 900 is notorious for the fuel gauge being off.

The fuel level sender is under the tank about midway back. It has four screws holding it into the tank. I will have to look it up in the service manual to be more specific.

·
Registered
23 Posts
EFI System you don't want to run out-of-gas

I have the same characteristics of the fuel-low light on my 2003 Mean Stereak.
Remember the bike has a electronic fuel injection system with a filter and fuel pump inside the tank. The fuel pump gets its cooling from the gas it pumps and imersed in. Runing a EFI tank empty will lead to quick failure of fuel pump.
It was a concern at first, but now I just live-with-it. When the light starts blinking just drive it until the light is steady, then expect to put around 3 gallons in. You will notice most autos have a fuel light also, now that most are fuel injected. The carburetor now is a antique for most engines.:biggrin:

·
Registered
552 Posts
my 06 1600 classic did that also when I first got it. light would come on and still had 2 gals left in it. but it seems to have adjusted itself over time and now its fairly good at coming on with around one gal left in it. but I still do the glosh test everytime the light comes on

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
After a year and a half of living with my 'off' fuel guage, I noticed that if I really use up most of the fuel in the tank I end up with a much better reading on my gauge. The most I have put in my almost empty tank was 4.75 gallons.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
My 900 seems to come on with about 2 gallons left....actually my light has never came on,it just reads empty with about 2 left. i just run it for awhile on empty reading and fill up. ive filled up over 4 gallons before and the light never came on....

·
Shifted into first gear
131 Posts
I read this thread yesterday, and having just purchased 08 Nomad, I have not run it until light comes on......until today.
Just happened to be real close to gas station when light flickered. Pulled in and it took 4.22 gals to fill. So, I guess mine is pretty close to being one gallon left when light comes on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does anyone know if the 5.3 gallon published capacity of the tank on the 900 Classic is when the fuel is at the bottom of the filler tube baffle like they say you're supposed fill it? I've filled to the baffle several times when the gauge was at 1/4 tank and never have been able to get 3 gallons in.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The 900's gauge is notoriously pessimistic, and will show Empty LONG before the low fuel light comes on solid (at which point you have a little under a gallon left).
5.3 is to the bottom of the baffle with the bike on it's sidestand.
About .2-.3 is not usable, so you've got a good usable 5 gallons.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My 900 hits "E" on the gauge with about 2 gal left, and the light comes on w/ 1 gal left. Fill up shortly after the light comes on and I can get 4 gal in it.
Right now I'm sitting just to the right of "E" and 150 mi. on the odometer.
I'm usually good for about 45 mpg, or about 225 mi per tank. Always fill on the stand, to the bottom of the baffle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts