Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

just got a 05 ninja 250 several days ago and already low sided it by running into a curb while trying to avoid an object while making a left turn. :mad: anyways... nothing was hurt except my pride and my bike, thankfully, and it was pretty close to my home, like a mile so i just parked it on the side of the street, went to work, and pushed it all the way back home just now.

anyways, now the gear lever is somehow rearranged so that so it's touching the foot peg. by this, i mean that it's not bent back, but instead, just got placed into a new position. also, the bike won't start. i did have the bike on its side for like 30 seconds or so and the engine was running, and then it just died. i tried turning it over lots of times using the choke in every position possible. also, i tried push starting it like a car, ie while rolling it down a hill, quickly letting go of the clutch in what i assume is first gear, but can't tell cuz the shifter is so bent, but the engine would just sputter. it sounds like it wants to engage, but just doesn't. could it be dead cuz of flooded carbs? as for the transmission, i think that all i need to do is unscrew the frakkin thing and make sure it is facing the proper way, and straighten out the shifter too? iono, anyways here's some pics of the transmission. i already contacted a mechanic who might come over later to look at it, but just wanted some initial thoughts and stuff. i'll post some more pics later when the light is better.

thanks for any input

Tommy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Yep looks like your shifter is bent backwards, The rose joint (Knuckle joint) should be facing down not up as it is now..

Unscrew the pedal retaining bolt and swivel the pedal forward and bolt back up.

When a bike goes over and continues to run you stand a chance of what is called Hydraulicing which means Oil or Gas gets above the pistons into the combustion chamber forming a solid block, This will prevent the motor from starting but also can in some cases bend con-rods and i have come across this nasty phenomenon..

The Gas will eventually drain back past the Piston rings into the crankcase but the oil will prove more difficult to evacuate.

I usually remove the plugs and cover the area with rags and crank the motor to blow the oil out, You can do the same with the Gas "BUT BE AWARE THAT CRANKING CAUSES SPARKS AND MIXED WITH GAS CAUSES FIRE.......LOTS OF FIRE"

You may be lucky and it's just flooded and leaving it a couple of hours will do the trick :biggrin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks so much. i got my bike running now. i guess all it needed was some time to drain the excess gas and oil. now all i gotta do is straighten out the shifter...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts