Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Peterbilt or death
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 96 VN800A to death, but feel the front sits too high (chopper like). Is it possible to easily (read cheaply) lower the front a couple of inches to give it a "custom" look? Maybe just by trimming the collar in the fork down? Or would this cause the forks to bottom out to harshly causing damage? Would the bikes geometry be upset enough causing unsafe cornering?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You can add in some PVC pipe or buy Progressive Springs for it. Both are cheap and easy.

Personally if I was going to lower the front I'd do the rear to. By lowering just the front I think you'll put even more weight on the front which could effect your braking.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I would think you can just slide the fork tubes up a bit to lower it. I've never done that so I'm not sure.

That would not cost any money though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would think you can just slide the fork tubes up a bit to lower it. I've never done that so I'm not sure.

That would not cost any money though.
Yeah, that is an old trick we road racers used to use in the 80s. You just loosen the triple tree clamps and slide the forks up a bit in the triple trees. Cost $0. I don't have an 800 sitting around to see if it will work on it, but on a lot of bikes it will.

·
Peterbilt or death
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate everybodys input. Especially the link to Tweeks site. HOLY COW! Everything I need is right there! Thanx all.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
That won't work on a Vulcan.
Yes it will, but you can only move about an inch unless you have aftermarket risers . I lowered my wifes, but it does funky things to the steering geometry, it wants to turn quicker with less input. I raised hers back up about ¼" at a time over a period of several weeks and she never complained, she just adapted.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes it will, but you can only move about an inch unless you have aftermarket risers . I lowered my wifes, but it does funky things to the steering geometry, it wants to turn quicker with less input. I raised hers back up about ¼" at a time over a period of several weeks and she never complained, she just adapted.
Yes, an inch in front causes a lot of change in steering geometry actually quickens the response a lot and can make a bike "twitchy". Small changes are preferable. We typically wanted to make the bikes steer more quickly for track use but seldom lowered them much as high speed stability would keep you on your toes for sure. Vulcans steer so slowly to begin with you could probably lower them more though. I was amazed anyone would suggest it would not work on Vulcans as they have pretty standard triple trees, but as I said I don't have an 800 sitting around to look at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts