Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Lowering Kit if a 1700 Nomad

13K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Scott / Skeeter 
#1 ·
What are all the options for lowering a 1700 Nomad. I know Scootworks makes a replacement shock and i was wonding if anyone has tried it and how do they like it. I also want to know if there are any other option other than replacing the shock to lower the bike.

Thanks any info would be helpful.

#2 ·
Your options are replacing the stock rear shocks with shorter aftermarket shocks. That's it. It changes the handling a wee bit and causes some people to scrape their tailpipes on turns and when going through gutters. Personally, I'd never do it.

#3 ·
You would do it if you could not firmly reach the ground.

I lowered my 08 1500 by replacing the rear shocks with Progressives that were 1 in shorter.

I then pulled the front springs out and cut 1.25 rounds out of each. Would not cut more than that.

Rides and handles great.

#4 ·
You would do it if you could not firmly reach the ground.

I lowered my 08 1500 by replacing the rear shocks with Progressives that were 1 in shorter.

I then pulled the front springs out and cut 1.25 rounds out of each. Would not cut more than that.

Rides and handles great.
No I wouldn't. I wouldn't have bought a bike that was too tall for me.

#5 ·
Am not a very tall person 5'7" and my legs are not that long. I had a 900 and it was tall but i wanted a bigger bike for touring. The Nomad is a little taller then the 900 but because of the added weight i would like to lower it just a little about an ince or so.

#9 ·
Your options are replacing the stock rear shocks with shorter aftermarket shocks. That's it. It changes the handling a wee bit and causes some people to scrape their tailpipes on turns and when going through gutters. Personally, I'd never do it.
No I wouldn't. I wouldn't have bought a bike that was too tall for me.
He's looking for options, not for you to talk him out of it.

HE'S NOT YOU.
Thank you!

#11 ·
I am also looking to lower my 09 1700. Based on my search Progressive does not list any shocks for the 1700 nomads. They have them for 1500 and 1600 older models and other brands of bikes but not for the 09 1700 Nomad. Like syrnix I am only 5'7" with short legs and I bought my nomad mainly for touring and it is fantastic for that but around town it is very difficult to handle. I too had a suggestion of modifying my seat which I have not done. That may help but I don't know if it would give me the 1-1/2" to 2" reach I need for my feet to be flat when sitting still. If I stand up and lean a little forward my feet can be flat with thick soled boots. Do shocks made only for Kawasaki have to be used or could one for another brand work?

#16 ·
There is a progressive shock 412 that will give you 1 inch drop. so I am told. If your a bagger you then have to remove bages to adjust shocks with the 412 version.
So Like the rest I am looking at best options also. Front fork adjustment is also is a possible option for 5/8 inch drop added to any rear drop you do. So I have been reading in order pages. I have not seen a y post a out only doing the front fork drop by itself.

#12 ·
Scootworks offers a mod kit based on Progressive Suspension 512 shocks for the 1700 Nomad: Scootworks - Kawasaki Lowering Kits and Suspension Accessories

I bought these in July 2011 and had multiple problems getting the right hardware kit shipped to me. The kit is basically some shims and short tubing to accommodate the width and diameter differences between the PS shocks and Kawi shock mounts. I had so much trouble getting the right mod kit shipped that I returned the shocks for a full refund. Scootworks is small family run business and supposedly they were having some internal issues at the time of my order. You might give them a try and have better results than I did.

Good luck!

#13 ·
Scootworks offers a mod kit based on Progressive Suspension 512 shocks for the 1700 Nomad: Scootworks - Kawasaki Lowering Kits and Suspension Accessories

I bought these in July 2011 and had multiple problems getting the right hardware kit shipped to me. The kit is basically some shims and short tubing to accommodate the width and diameter differences between the PS shocks and Kawi shock mounts. I had so much trouble getting the right mod kit shipped that I returned the shocks for a full refund. Scootworks is small family run business and supposedly they were having some internal issues at the time of my order. You might give them a try and have better results than I did.

Good luck!

Thanks Randy, I give them a try and see what comes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.