Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a 06 1600 Vulcan Classic. I want to lower the rear. I was told that all I needed was different shocks. Has anyone done this or know anything about this? It it difficult and should be done by a dealer or can one do it at home? What type shocks, how was the after ride? I appreciate any and all comments.
Thanks a bunch.
Mr. Wonderful

·
Crazy as a sh!thouse rat.
2,867 Posts
I don't know that I'd lower a 1600 Classic. At least not very much. You don't have much lean angle available to start with, and lowering the bike will restrict leaning even more.

Having said that... Changing the shocks on a 1600 is a simple, straight-forward task. If you're at all handy, you should have no problem doing it at home.

A bike lift will definitely come in handy. Remove the mounting nuts at top and bottom of the old shocks. Raise the bike just enough to unload the shocks completely, then remove them. Place the top mounting eye of one new shock on the mount post, then lower the bike on the lift VERY SLOWLY until the bottom mount lines up. Put the bottom mount in place, then replace the nuts, washers, and whatever else. Then do the other shock, while you have the bike at that perfect height. Let the bike down all the way then torque the nuts down properly. Now go for a ride. 8)

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I lowered my old Mean Streak by replacing the stock shocks with ones that were lower. They were from Progressive, and the quality was good, but the plushness of the ride sure suffered. It was definatly a "firmer" ride (I installed the heavy duty rated shocks) , and the bike was more likely to bottom out over speed bumps. I liked the look, but as with anything their may be a price to pay.

·
Crazy as a sh!thouse rat.
2,867 Posts
I lowered my old Mean Streak by replacing the stock shocks with ones that were lower. They were from Progressive, and the quality was good, but the plushness of the ride sure suffered. It was definatly a "firmer" ride (I installed the heavy duty rated shocks) , and the bike was more likely to bottom out over speed bumps. I liked the look, but as with anything their may be a price to pay.
+1. I changed the OEM shocks on my Intruder to Progressive 412 heavy duty, so it wouldn't bottom quite so easily when riding two up. Firmer is a good choice of word.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Did my Meanie too. Pretty simple for anyone even remotely handy with a wrench. Search my older posts, and you should find my wright-up I did on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, I think I will do the work myself. Once again I want to thank "ALL" of you guys for taking the time to read and answer my question.

Mr. Wonderful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts