Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 5.2' and i just bought a NINJA 636r (2004)... I was wondering how many inches can i drop my bike and what kind part do i need to get to do this... Much oblige :D .. :)

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Since its an 04 it should should 10mm shims on the rear suspension, you should see it near where the shock and frame meet. I'm going to ask the dealor down the road from my house tomarrow about it, see what comes up. Here is a great site from info on all kinds of bikes. :

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Kawasaki/2004/ZX-6R/

ther it says it can go down to 28.5. I put my bike to that the other day, man its really low, I mean LOW. May just keep it there. good luck with the ZX-6R and you might wanna check out these carbon fiber wheels, they'll make it 1. faster off the line 2. faster top end 3. better handling

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/18-BST-13

they aren't cheap, they'll set you back about $3300, but you get what you pay for I guess. Good luck with the 636 and please post some pics/videos. I'll be getting the ZX-6RR maybe, and I love the styling of the new Kawas.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
I just found something on the ZX-6R on the Kawasaki website here is a qoute

"- Ride height adjustable with 1mm shims"

so, the new ones are pretty cool. I'll see if i can get some pics of the shims tomarrow.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LOWERING

I'd try to find a boat shop that will custom make you a closed cell seat cushon...not only will it be more comfortable bt you can get just about any color boat interior seat color that you want. it will lower the seat cushion a little and be a lot easier on the butt. Lowering brings you closer to the ground and when you start getting into corners you will start dragging components like the centerstand...not good as they not only spark but you slide on them when you are doing this...been there and it is not an easy feeling...you ever catch a metal grate and you are finished riding till you replace the bike!

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Hey, I just sent a message to kawasaki, hopefully they will take me more seriously than the dealor (I'm 14, so its hard to convince poeple i know what I'm talking about). Anywho, I'll post some info as soon as I can. In the mean time, how about some pics of your bike?

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
hey here is what kawasaki sent me about lowering the ninja 636:

Ride height shims are sold as a kit, P/N 92026-1586. They are indended
to
be added to affect handling and weight bias, and will not have much
affect
on actual seat height. There are none installed in the motorcyle from
the
factory.

there you go, your gonna have to buy them, have fun.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Shims

Shims will affect the front/rear weight ratio like a see-saw/fulcrum...cheaper than buying lower profile tires, but that too is an option going to a lower profile rear, and a lower profile front as well. I suppose that if you wanted to have a soft ride you could adjust the sag so that once you were on it would lower enough for you...the mechanics are the set up guys, not the salesmen...spend some time in the shop asking...

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
Good info. When I looked at a 636 this year, I too had a problem with the hight. I asked the mechanic who was acting like a sales guy for their open house if there was a way to lower it about 1-2 inches, he told me "No". He was telling me to soften the rear shock up all the way to get the bike to sag lower. No thanks.

If they said they could have lowered the bike so that it's seat hight was 30"-30.5", I would have bought the bike.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ZX-6R/RR

If you can afford the bike then go for some shorter profile tires...you can get them pretty sticky...better to wear them out than to drop the bike...and it's nice to lower the profile of the tires....

·
Registered
191 Posts
careful

Be very careful when changing the geometry of a bike. There are a few companys out there that make custom linkage, i will be one of them shortly:) but when you lower the rear you have to lower the front also. by lowering the rear you increase your rake angle making the bike more stable at speeds but will turn slower. there is more to it but thats the simple answer. I would opt for a seat. but if you do end up lower the rear drop your fork in your triplle clamps the same amount. but you will end up with less lean angle as was said above. In my opinion as long as you can touch one foot to the ground you are okay. i mean you only have to reach the foot pegs:)

matt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ONE FOOT

I remember when I used to take off on my big bike with a wooden pop box and I couldn't stop until I got back home to the box, or found a curb tall enough that I could mount and dismount from...but that ws long before we had stoplights in our housing communities, and we were allowed to ride on the sidewalks. Smaller profile tires, are the best resource available right now, but like you said to much rake and you either oversteer or severly understeer...it has to be an even drop from front and rear axle to the ground...it's a fine balance, and 1/4" is enough to make things change enough to be felt by the casual rider.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts