Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to lower my 2K about 2-3". Seems to me I saw a thread about someone doing this. Is there a lowering link available out there, or did this individual fab the link himself?

I definately don't want to pay the money for an air suspension, just need to drop the bike a few inches. Need suggestions or to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
give trikebubble a ring

·
Not there yet
286 Posts
Jeez dude, you only going in a straight line! How can you afford to lose 2-3"?

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Believe me, there's a lot of air between the tire and fender. Besides, if a person's interested in carving canyon's... this isn't the bike to get. Not that it doesn't handle well, but no one's dragging a knee on this bike. From what I've heard, it doesn't affect the handling on this bike much anyways. Waiting to here Trike, Jay and a few others weight in on this who've already dropped the rear end.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Believe me, there's a lot of air between the tire and fender. Besides, if a person's interested in carving canyon's... this isn't the bike to get. Not that it doesn't handle well, but no one's dragging a knee on this bike. From what I've heard, it doesn't affect the handling on this bike much anyways. Waiting to here Trike, Jay and a few others weight in on this who've already dropped the rear end.

I took my V heavy into the Beartooth pass switchbacks this past summer and dragged the floorboards more than once. The V is quite capable in this area, tho ispeed on his meanie was clearly the better rider on a better suited bike for the task...

Trikebubble sent a link once to a lady's V2k that was lowered 2" and she said it was fine with no issues at all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought my 2K at Britts (my neighborhood dealer) and they do great work. All of their custom stuff is top notch. Highly recommended.

Thanks, Chris

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I made my own. Dropped it 1", but you could modify the linkage i made to drop it 2". Any more than 2" and you will likely have to heavily modify the underside of your seat.

I'll try to find the thread I posted about it earleir this year.

By the way, the bike is working great with my lowering kit installed. It definately scrapes in the corners a lot earlier, but I'm used to it now.

·
btob
1,264 Posts
I made my own. Dropped it 1", but you could modify the linkage i made to drop it 2". Any more than 2" and you will likely have to heavily modify the underside of your seat.

I'll try to find the thread I posted about it earleir this year.

By the way, the bike is working great with my lowering kit installed. It definately scrapes in the corners a lot earlier, but I'm used to it now.
There really isn't much to modify under the seat. My 4" drop was rubbing the foam under he seat quite a bit. I let it rub for an hour or so, then took it off, flipped it over, and used a drummel tool and ground it down a bit for the neccessary clearance. I've had no trouble since.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
There really isn't much to modify unde the seat. My 4" drop was rubbing the foam under he seat quite a bit. I let it rub for an hour or so, then took it off, flipped it over, and used a drummel tool and ground it down a bit for the neccessary clearance. I've had no trouble since.
Well there you go then. Good to know.

·
btob
1,264 Posts

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bumpin' this thread so I can find it over lunch...

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
bumpin' this thread so I can find it over lunch...
Todd, I started with 2 pieces of aluminum (easier to work with as a mock up part) and drilled holes in various lengths and positions until I got the lowered height I was looking for. It wouldn't take you much to get a 2" drop figured out, then you can get some decent pieces of steel and make proper linkages.

I know that their is a "mod" some of the Road Star guys (i think them?) do where they space the rear fender down slightly as well. Gives the bike a lowered look, wihtout comprimising quite as much cornering clearance. i don't know if we can do this on our 2000's, but i'm gonna take a look when I pull my rear fender off this winter.

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took my V heavy into the Beartooth pass switchbacks this past summer and dragged the floorboards more than once. The V is quite capable in this area, tho ispeed on his meanie was clearly the better rider on a better suited bike for the task...

Trikebubble sent a link once to a lady's V2k that was lowered 2" and she said it was fine with no issues at all.
Well, that's the thing. There are countless situations where husbands have lowered their wives bikes to reduce seat height. If it was dangerous to drop the rear a couple of inches, I doubt they'd put their women at risk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts