Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Lowers

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  NCDave 
#1 ·
ok guys....I'm going to break down and FINALLY get some lowers for the vulcan. I need some input. My intentions with getting the lowers is to reduce or eliminate the "updraft" while riding the bike. I assume that bigger (wider) is better. Anyone have any suggestions on what brand will work best? Should I just go with F&S?

I am much more of a function over style type of person. I don't care what they look like as long as they work. Hmmmm...perhaps I should get them studded though??? :D

#3 ·
Good morning Dave. My Memphis shades lowers have given me no problems at all, and work very well. They cost less than the F&S lowers. When you install them, you have to take your time.

The steel that the forks are made of, is designed to take preasure from the wheels, but is pretty thin, and easily bent, so you don't want to over tighten them. You put them on, line them up by turning the wheel to make sure they don't hit the freeway bars, make any adjustments, and then tighten them down.

I can get you some pics later if you want? There is a pretty good picture of them, on the scoot works site, also on Meancycle.com.

D

#4 ·
I just put the memphis shades on mine...the look good but made NO difference with the buffeting, I can tell that the air flows around my legs now, good on those 25* mornings, but they'll come off for summer, I think I'm going to have to make a bigger set from some lexan as I think these are just too small

#5 ·
My memphis shades lowers attaches to the fork cover.
The left one stays still but the right lower slowly moves toward me at interstate speeds.
Hi Yooper, I hope all is well. There is a solution for the loose lower. You will have to loosen, or take it off, and slide a thin piece of rubber gasket in to act as a shim. That should solve the problem.

D

#7 ·
Hi Yooper, I hope all is well. There is a solution for the loose lower. You will have to loosen, or take it off, and slide a thin piece of rubber gasket in to act as a shim. That should solve the problem.

D
Hi David,
Things have calmed down a bit right now.
I like your solution.
I'm going home on R&R late Feb.
Think I'll try it then-if I can handle working in my garage in -0 temps that is.
Thanks,
roger

#8 ·
A dab of Household Goop between the lower mount and the Fork cover will keep the lower from rotating. It stays rubbery so if you ever take the lower off, you can peel the Goop off. It's in adhesives at your local hardware section of Walmart or hardware store.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Are there any brands that are wider than the Memphis Shades? How well did they do at eliminating the updraft?

Crew, where are you experiencing buffeting from?
I actually think most of mine is coming from my windshield being too short, the lowers did a decent job of moving the air off my legs, the chaps are keeping the air from coming underneath, the main issue I think is what comes between the lowers and the windshield and what is coming over...I'm not sure if there is a lot more I can do with the lowers, I don't want to turn the whole front end into something that looks like a riot shield on wheels, but again, it would be nice when you DD it and the morning temps are in the teens and 20's

#12 ·
I'm actually getting more buffeting behind the huge factory windshield on my '07 vn900 LT than I used to get on my '02 vn 800a with the smaller Memphis Shades Fats -- no lowers.

I was looking at least three inches over the Memphis Fats with little buffeting. I've got the Kawi LT windshield all the way down and still can't look over the top without standing a little on the running boards and the buffeting is noticeably more than on my old bike.

I feel the problem is with the design -- large size, curvature, and angle -- of the LT's factory windshield. The air must be swirling around the shield, filling the vacuum, and blasting the rider.

#14 ·
NCD... Save your money. Although they are much balleyhooed by some, they are worthless. They will not solve any buffeting issues or noticably reduce airflow. Like you, I prefer function over form. I have had lowers on several bikes and none were even close to being worth the cost..... and they are ugly.

#15 ·
NCD... Save your money. Although they are much balleyhooed by some, they are worthless. They will not solve any buffeting issues or noticably reduce airflow. Like you, I prefer function over form. I have had lowers on several bikes and none were even close to being worth the cost..... and they are ugly.
as far as reducing buffeting, thats one thing, they are greatly reducing the overall flow however, this is pretty apparent at 75mph when its 25-30* out...
the flow pattern has changed quite a bit...very obvious

#16 ·
Deep, I think you're the first person I've ever heard that said the lowers didn't help with the wind problems. I understood that it would reduce the airflow that comes up around the tank from below. I've never ridden one with the lowers on them though.

#17 ·
I have the F&S's on my 2K and they made a significant difference. I don't think it's so much about the size, but how their positioned on your specific bike. The ones I have are smaller than some but work exceptionally well. I've ridden other bikes with bigger lowers (and shields) with more buffeting.

#18 ·
I am defininately with ImpactG on this one. Lowers are not for buffeting, but rather for the air flow which seems to come up. The air flow that seems to ride up your legs and come under your chin. I had a serious problem with this when I rode the 900LT. Once we installed the lowers there was about a 90% decrease in wind coming up the front of me. Even the wife will tell you they work great.:shock:

#19 ·
I am defininately with ImpactG on this one. Lowers are not for buffeting, but rather for the air flow which seems to come up. The air flow that seems to ride up your legs and come under your chin. I had a serious problem with this when I rode the 900LT. Once we installed the lowers there was about a 90% decrease in wind coming up the front of me. Even the wife will tell you they work great.:shock:
Well, if your wife says so, then I'm good to go! :wink:

#20 ·
I have the F&S's on my 2K and they made a significant difference. I don't think it's so much about the size, but how their positioned on your specific bike. The ones I have are smaller than some but work exceptionally well. I've ridden other bikes with bigger lowers (and shields) with more buffeting.
+1 ---lowers are like real estate, location, location, location:lol: All jokes aside, they really cut down on the wind hitting my chin. The air flows over my legs now.

D

#21 ·
I'm getting a set of Moxy loweres ---> index
I'll let ya'all know what my feelings are about them once I have them installed and give them a good trial. They are larger and thicker than any other lowers out there I'm told. My friends seem to swear by them...we'll see.

#24 ·
I ordered mine last night. I went with the F&S ones. I'll report my findings back. Plastic is pretty cheap at the local Home Depot, so I can always design my own since I'll have the mounting hardware and brackets! I like that idea! Maybe have various size sets for different seasons and needs. Hmmmm....

thanks all!

#25 ·
I'm getting a set of Moxy loweres ---> index
I'll let ya'all know what my feelings are about them once I have them installed and give them a good trial. They are larger and thicker than any other lowers out there I'm told. My friends seem to swear by them...we'll see.
I've been riding for 3 seasons with Moxy's on my 800. Big difference! On the highway I can cruise along at 120KM/HR with much less head buffeting. And yes, they are larger and thicker.

#26 ·
I have the F & S lowers. They helped a little, but they are too small.

I increased the size of the lexan and it made a huge difference. With a 3/4 helmet and the face shield down there was so much buffeting that I couldn't hear the motor. Now with the oversized lowers on I can hear the motor and my GPS as well.

They just touch the MC Enterprises highway bar when full turned

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.