Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1980 LTD 440 a few months ago. I was a little skeptical at first, but for $700, I couldn't pass it up.

It had an idle that would jump REALLY high, and stay there. I got it a little better tinkering with the carbs, but couldn't get it right. Took the carbs to this old boy my dad had known for years as a Kaw mechanic, now they are PERFECT. Starts right up, it's snappy and responsive, and the idle kicks down immediately.

I used to have a Honda 750 which I loved, but ended up selling it to pay for damages which happend to my car last year. But I'm really surprised by the acceleration of the 440. I never though I would own anything smaller than the 750, but the price was right. May be due to my weight though, I'm 6'0" and 165, I really outta find some highway pegs for it though.

Anyway, enough blabbering :) . I'm having problem finding a few parts I would like to have. Turn signals for one. It has the indicator switch, and the wires. But it looks like the original turn signals were removed. Does anyone know where I can get some that will work well? The dealer said they didn't have anything listed, which wasn't surpising.

Also, the exhaust. It doesn't look stock, which doesn't bother me. It's only on the right side, and from photo's it looks like it came with pipes on both sides. But the bell has a hole in it, and it sounds annoying. I would like to get either a new bell, or even just new pipes if it's not really expensive. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Z1Enterprises.com may have turn signals & perhaps an aftermarket exhaust system for your bike - they for sure have most of the maintenance items. Also, ebbaayy is a good source for parts. Be wary of the prices, though, particularly new items. Check elsewhere first. One seller was trying to pawn off new aftermarket mirrors for 49 bucks... That same set is available at Z1 for less than $20.

Kawasaki.com has parts diagrams in the Owner Info section.
Yeah, I got a second set of carbs for parts from ebay... and they weren't even worth parts. It was pathetic. He described them as clean, just hadn't been ran. When I got them, I assumed this bike had been parted and buried in dirt and grime. Metal parts BROKE off, it was pathetic. I was very, very displeased.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The signals are available from denniskirk.com, but they are about $27 each, plus shipping. If it were me, I'd try ebay for them. You might get all 4 for that amount.
You probably have a MAC 2 into 1 exhaust like I do. These run about $225. A stock setup, if you could find one, probably 4 times that! Remember, any used exhaust is going to be 30 years old and will probably look it.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
These run about $225. A stock setup, if you could find one, probably 4 times that! Remember, any used exhaust is going to be 30 years old and will probably look it.
When I got ready to replace my 4-1 and go back to stock pipes I started watching ebay. I saw several sets sold over the next few months. Some were pretty bad and some looked OK. I finally found a set that I won the bid on for $197 plus shipping. Other than a dirty crossover pipe and some very minor surface rust on the rear mount bracket they looked like new. I cleaned the dirt and surface rust off then installed them. All my friends that saw and heard them thought I had purchased a brand new exhaust and asked where I found the NOS exhaust. They looked and sounded absolutely perfect. I don't know the mileage of the bike they came from but it was obviously very low. I've been running them now for almost 3 years and they are still so quiet that I can't hear the engine running at 50+ mph with or without a helm on. So with time and patience, you can find some good exhaust on ebay at a reasonable price.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Ebay can be a good source for parts as I have picked up a few things for the low low on there. But my last purchase was for a speedo cable and drive where the ad said it worked fine. I got it and noticed the cable would not turn so I took it loose from the drive to lube it only to find it had rusted in two just like the one I already had. I emailed the guy and he said he would check to see if he had another and if not he would refund my money. That was saturday and yesterday he refunded my money so I am still in need of a cable.
Anyone have one lying around? :biggrin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A brand new cable can be had for maybe $10-15, so why fool around with a used one?
Agreed..

Question though, why do you think the original owner would swap to the single sided exhaust? It seems like people are usually doing the oposite of that with other bikes.... My guess is, with a new bell, this exhaust would be very quite anyway. hmmm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The reason I swapped was that an original exhaust 2 into 2 with a crossover pipe (if available) would cost more than the bike was worth. My choices were a MAC 2 into 2 with no crossover or a MAC 2 into 1. I felt that without the crossover it would not get the scavenging that the factory exhaust provided, or why else would they have gone to the expense of installing it in the first place. The 2 into 1 gives the scavenging effect.
I don't know if a new muffler is available separately. Remember it has to fit onto TWO pipes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason I swapped was that an original exhaust 2 into 2 with a crossover pipe (if available) would cost more than the bike was worth. My choices were a MAC 2 into 2 with no crossover or a MAC 2 into 1. I felt that without the crossover it would not get the scavenging that the factory exhaust provided, or why else would they have gone to the expense of installing it in the first place. The 2 into 1 gives the scavenging effect.
I don't know if a new muffler is available separately. Remember it has to fit onto TWO pipes.
Well my guess is that this had to be done quite a long time ago for it to get a rust hole all the way through larger than a quarter. Considering how clean the whole bike really is. I do find the new exhaust and missing turn signals very odd though.... My guess is someone laid it over and damaged them, but not scuffs even to the tank.

Oh!! I also bought a bar(the one to the rear of the seat) on ebay, but it's wrong. Guy said it came off a 440 LTD, but the spacing is all wrong. It's slightly too narrow. And the spacing with the slots for the shocks, and the bolt holes further back don't match up with the bike. =/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ebay is definitely a way to go for parts for your 440. Here's a link to where I go.

KZ440, buy and sell Parts Accessories, Motorcycles on eBay Motors

Here's a link to another forum that specializes in Kaw twins. There are some really learned and helpful folk there, like there appears to be here.

THE KAWASAKI TWIN OWNERS FORUM :: Index

Some parts you can still buy from the Kaw dealer but they are getting harder to find. The rebuild of my 440 came to an end when I discovered Kaw had discontinued the rod bearings for it. That's one thing I haven't been able to find anywhere.

All the best with this.

RVC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yo flamethrower, if that was directed at me I need rod bearings. I can get by with two (one rod) but I would rather buy the set. From what I can tell from the marks (or rather lack of marks) on my crank and rods I need Kawi number 92028-1098.

Thanks.

RVC

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
The Kawasaki Twins forum is definitely the place to be for 250 through 750 Kawasaki Twin owners. kz400.com is sort of an archived site in memory of it's creator who died a while back, but it has any info you could possibly need on the 400/440 models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, kz400.com is a great site. It leans more toward the 400 but has a lot for the 440 too, as steell said. It's where I downloaded the factory service manual for my 440. It is definitely worth a visit.

RVC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.