Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
sully1
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, thought I would pass this on.
Thought I would lube my clutch cable and purchased one of those fancy cable lube tools, placed it on the cable and preceeded to find out they don't work as advertised. I got looking at the cable and realized there is a fair amount of space between the cable and housing and I was trying to think of a better way to get the lube through the cable when my 6 year old came in the garage with a balloon. Bingo, I got a balloon, small size, shot a lot of the lube from the can in it, blew it up about half way and slipped the end of the balloon over the cable end. I then sealed the balloon tightly around the cable housing with my fingers. Tilted the balloon up so the lube would be forced into the housing by the air and began letting the air go. You can hear the air come out the other end. The lube comes out black at first from the dirt etc. When the lube started coming out clean I put it all back together. I then rewarded myself with a beer for my discovery! Anyone need a worthless $15.00 lube tool?

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I didn't even know you have to lube the cluth cable. Dang it, more maintenance :(

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
I didn't even know you have to lube the cluth cable.
You don't lube the cables. On modern cables the outer is nylon lined, the inner is coated, lubing them is not helpfull and just makes them drag. Don't believe that? Just lube your throttle cables. When they've been used long enough to have worn thru the lining of the outer cable you replace them. The cable lubers and creative techniques are a remnant from from when cables inside were metal on metal.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
So, I'm supposed to ignore page 2-44 of the service Manual sunder Periodic table - Chassis, lube and check?

Makes me feel better that I've forgotten to do it, but according to the table I'm supposed to do it every 6000 km.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
...and as we all know, a little lubrication is a good thing...8)

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
So, I'm supposed to ignore page 2-44 of the service Manual sunder Periodic table - Chassis, lube and check?

Makes me feel better that I've forgotten to do it, but according to the table I'm supposed to do it every 6000 km.
You do lube the cable end (barrel) in the lever so it rotates freely as you pull in the clutch and the clutch lever pivot.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Another way is to just take one plastic baggie and rubber band it to the end of the cable housing and then pour or spray lube in the funnel you created.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
Another way is to just take one plastic baggie and rubber band it to the end of the cable housing and then pour or spray lube in the funnel you created.
Do you just ignore your throttle cables? When you lube your clutch cable don't you think you should lube your throttle cables too?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi All, thought I would pass this on.
Thought I would lube my clutch cable and purchased one of those fancy cable lube tools, placed it on the cable and preceeded to find out they don't work as advertised. I got looking at the cable and realized there is a fair amount of space between the cable and housing and I was trying to think of a better way to get the lube through the cable when my 6 year old came in the garage with a balloon. Bingo, I got a balloon, small size, shot a lot of the lube from the can in it, blew it up about half way and slipped the end of the balloon over the cable end. I then sealed the balloon tightly around the cable housing with my fingers. Tilted the balloon up so the lube would be forced into the housing by the air and began letting the air go. You can hear the air come out the other end. The lube comes out black at first from the dirt etc. When the lube started coming out clean I put it all back together. I then rewarded myself with a beer for my discovery! Anyone need a worthless $15.00 lube tool?
VERY good idea!!!Thanks for sharing.I usualy remove the cable from the clutch lever,and drip some syn,motor oil into the cable untill it runs out the other end.But I think your idea is faster.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Good thinking.

·
Too late smart
92 Posts
Genious! I have some Mule ebrake cables that are rusted nearly solid. I also have the fancy cable luber that is useless! going for the balloon trick! Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts