Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Saxman
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching tailbags on the internet. I wish I could see them all before purchasing. Thanks to Bama Biker on his advice on the tourmaster Nylon II and also thanks to idmtchris for hi advice on the Kuryakyn. Both look like a good choises.

Before I buy one, I'm wondering if anyone on this site has any experience with the following bag -

The SBS002 from Biker Access. This one is made of PVC450 which is supposedly better than leather. Just looks like leather.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
We used T-Bags when we had cruisers, and wouldn't hesitate to either buy their products again or recommend them to anyone.
Don't cheap out when buying a tailbag, you want one made of good construction, had strong tie-down points, that doesn't loose it's shape over time, one that has multiple storage pockets for big and small items, has good zippers, and comes with a decent raincover.

You can even find tailbags that have rollers and pull handles built in these days...which would be perfect for hauling your stuff to and from a hotel room.

Ours were similar to these, and came with the ever-useful toproll.
T-BAGS® SUPER-T :: Detail

·
Registered
716 Posts
You can even find tailbags that have rollers and pull handles built in these days...which would be perfect for hauling your stuff to and from a hotel room.
Bernsax, I should have mentioned that the one I have has a some straps to help carry the two pieces, I think one is like a backpack strap for the toproll, can't remember if the bottom part has one or not, or maybe that WAS for the bottom part. It's at home so I can't check right now. I didn't bother with them so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well I went through this a little over a yar ago. I to was looking for luggage for the bike. I ended up buying a bag off e-bay that is made by a company called emgo (I think thats right) It is an almost direct copy of a Dowco Ralley pack. It has a lower bag and then a roll bag that secures to the top with straps. It has a lot of straps, clips, velcro to secure to just about anything. Then a few months later I ran across a fieldsheer roll aboard suitcase type bag. Man is that thing nice. If you try to buy one new they are way high like $300 or something crazy.
So I think from what I have seen and what my friends have the fabric bags work best. IE Dowco, Tourmaster, T-bags etc. Make sure you either get a rain cover with them or you can buy one that will fit. Look out, some of the cover are just a cover and not really made for cruising down the highway with it on @ 60 mph. Also a little trick I did with my bag when I bought it was to buy a spray can of 3M scotchgaurd and spray a good healthy couple of coats of it on to help rain resistance. Shop around for shure ther are some good deals out there. I bought a magnetic tank bag like 22 or 24 liter job double tear its a cortech/tourmaster bag. It sells for over $200 I bought it off craigslist for $30.

·
Saxman
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always been a little concerned that a magnetic bag would scratch the paint on my gas tank. Yes? No?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You know I was too. But the bag I have has very good thick rubber where the magnets are. From what I have read if the tank is clean when you put it on it limits your risks there. I also took some advice from some other posts I read and they recomended trial fitting your tank bag then covering the area in clear packing tape. So I did that too. It worked like a champ. When I returned off the trip I peeled off the tape and then for the residule tape gunk I just used a paper towel and some WD-40 to get resdue off. Then re-wax bike.
This is pretty much what it is.

Here is the link.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I'm looking for a bag that will fit nicely on my rear luggage rack too. I already have a large size T-Bag, that I use when I go on trips when that are more than just a weekend. However, I want a bag that will be more of a permanent daily/weekender type bag. So far, I'm really liking the looks as well as all the positive consumer reviews on this bag, which is only $117.00 --> Tour Master Cruiser Iii Medium Nylon Sissybar Bag - RidersDiscount.com Free shipping to the US and Canada to boot.
That said, I also like the Kuryakyn cargo bags too, but they're a bit too pricey for me. Gonna make a decision soon. Any suggestions out there ?

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nice looking unit. They had some saddle bags there that looked nice if you wanted hard bags.

·
Saxman
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Saxman
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a trunk that I took off. It doesn't hold near as much as the bag set I just bought. The tailbag is easy to put on and then remove.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I was riding Sportsters, I tied a tank bag to the luggage rack. It wasn't perfect, but it was a place to put a bottle of water,a tube of sunblock and a pack of gum. Now I have the Nomad with hard, lockable bags, and the list of stuff I need seems to grow to fit all available space.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Nice looking unit. They had some saddle bags there that looked nice if you wanted hard bags.
Yah I saw them there too, but I found them too narrow looking for my taste. I think my leather saddle bags will look OK with the hard trunk. I'll know more when I install it in a few weeks, when I take my bike out of hibernation. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the Saddleman 3500, too, but haven't really had a trip to really pack it full on. Dennis Kirk is showing it at $154 in the new catalog.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also like the Saddleman styles the best. And after pricing around...Dennis Kirk does appear to have the lowest prices on them. Good call Greg!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts