Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

maintenance books

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kyhick1 
#1 ·
Its my first post here, I only just came across this site, and as a '99 Vulcan Classic owner I thought it would be only fitting for me to pop in and say g'day from Australia!

Now my question! My bike is due for a service, and I was thinking about buying a maintenance book (Clymer in particular) so I can try doing some of it myself. I can't find this book anywhere in Australia, so I would have to buy the book unseen. Can anybody please tell me if its helpful to someone who is reasonably handy with a screwdriver but a novice when it comes to mechanics.

#2 ·
aussie_biker72,

Welcome to the forum.....You will have a lot of fun up here!!!!!

Clymers manuals are OK...don't like Haynes at all (they assume too much knowledge on the part of the reader)....but the best are the Kawasaki repair manuals... they are much more detailed and more accurate. I have Kawi repair manuals for both of my bikes and it has helped us alot.

I am a share tree mechanic myself, but my husband does most of the maintenance. I know the basics, but the more I do the better I get.....have learned alot of stuff up here on the forum.

Heather

#3 ·
I have a Clymers and it's very frustrating using it. For example, to change a tire it says

1. Remove the wheel as described in this chapter or Chapter 12
It gets worse when you have to remove a couple of parts as described in a couple of chapters. It never references a page number or index number. I spend more time looking for removal instructions in other parts of the manual than working on the bike.

kyhick1

Is the Kawi manual like this? Do you need the supplements?

http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default....VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

#4 ·
Don't know about the supplements. I just have the straight manuals...no supplements. That might depend on the model of your bike...Kawi made soooo many different models its mind blowing. I was at my salvage part shop looking for a part for my 750....there were almost two pages of models just for 750's!!!!

I would say only buy the supplement if there is info in them you need. My basic manuals have all of the major stuff.

Heather

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.