Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this problem has came and gone, but now it constantly drains gas out as fast as possible. It is coming out of the bottom of the carb in the back, the line that comes out there. I also have a problem with the bike bogging in first gear. What would be causing this? Could the problems be related? Thanks alot for the help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where can i order a new one? any place online that is better then the next? and where can i look up the part number? do you think that my bogging problem could be related? thanks alot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well just called them and ordered a new float needle (pin) 8 bucks later and i should have it within a week. Hopefully it takes care of the problem. can i take the carb apart and try to clean the needle for the time being?

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have a conventional dirtbike carb, and have replaced the needle and seat, and still have a gas overflow problem......then you might want to check if the float is moving freely inside the carb.
Open the carb, and with the bottom off, gently push the float up and down.
You should be able to see it pushing the needle into the seat with no resistance.

You may also want to check the float height whilst it is open.
It took me a long time to get mine set correctly after purchasing the bike secondhand. Mine was overflowing same as yours.

Also, when re-installing the carb to the bike, make sure it is in the correct vertical position (mine has small markings on the carb and rubber boot to line up).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i took the carb off today again to just check it out...the float moves freely and everything is clean as can be. After i did that i just put it back together and now it runs fine(1st gear still doesnt open up) but its ok, and no fuel is running out. Why would the bowl be gettin so full that it reaches that overflow thats way at the top of the bowl? The needle and seat should be here next week. How do i go about putting that in?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Needle and seat are easy to install. Just push the pin that holds the float out with a very small screwdriver. Check your old needle "spring" by pushing the plunger on the top, in and out. My old one was jammed (no spring action), that was causing my overflow problems. Old gas sitting in the carb can do this, as it turns to varnish over time.
Seat can then be replaced, and pin is held in with the "tang" on the floater bracket.
Whilst the float is off, you may want to adjust the angle of the "tang" to give you less gas in the bottom reservoir of the carb. If the level is too high, it can cause bogging in 1st gear....did with mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what do i need to do to adjust that angle? i know that the bowl was full to the top when i took it off...so mabye that has something to do with it??

·
Registered
62 Posts
You need to bend the "tang" slightly, so that the float comes all the way up to horizontal position when it pushes on the needle, and cuts off the gas.
With the carb open (bottom off) you can see the float hanging down at an angle, and the needle in the open position.
Look at the "tang" and you will see that if it is bent slightly upwards (towards the needle), it will close the gas supply off earlier.
I use a small pair of needle nose pliers for the job, or a small screwdriver to get underneath it and bend it slightly. Be careful. If you snap the tang off your in deep s***.
Bending the tang with the float off the carb would be safer to avoid damage.
Small movements of the tang have a big effect on gas level, so go easy, 1mm adjustments only.

Heres a link with info from a KDX site, but the principles are the same for all conventional carbs - Float Level Adjustment

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have done all that is said in the replys and yet still having fuel running out , new needle , adjusted the tab so stops for a few hours of use and then will start pooring out the over flow again not sure what else i can try .

·
Registered
5 Posts
yea done that , i am able to stop the fuel running out for a few hours with the tab bein bent slightly but a few hours later after heavy riding and it will be doing the same thank you for your help

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mine also was running out when the bike was running...and it was coming out of all three hoses...i cleaned the carb again and now it doesnt leak at all but its still bogging..and my needle and seat wont be here for a while because i lost my debit card and it got canceled before they ran it through...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts