Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 03 1600 Classic. The bike runs great, plenty of power but the motor sounds like a an old pea picker. It rattles when idling and smooths out when cruising. When I twist the throttle hard I hear something that sounds like piston slap. None of this seems to be getting any worse as I ride. I have heard that Kaws traditionly have noisy engines. Whats making the noises that I hear.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
From your explanation, sounds like you have a perfectly fine Kawasaki motor

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you want to hear noise, trying listening to my ZX-10. I swear when I first picked it up I thought I had a bad motor. The top end of the bike makes all this racket. Sounds like all the valves were having valve lash problems. Then there's that high pitched whine coming from the right side which is probably the high speed generator (alternator.)

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Gotta love those sounds...

·
Air Force Vet
664 Posts
Kawasaki engines rattle and make alot of noise compared to the other big 3. It does not seem to affect the reliablity or life span of the engines though. The 1500 and 1600 have noisey lifters untill they get warm and pumped up. Its normal for these engines to rattle on start up. My 250 engine really rattles. My 250 Virago is air cooled and makes far less noise??????????

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Try a little heavier oil...and synthetic like 15w50 or 20w50. That made mine sound and shift alot smoother. It reduced the valva clatter by alot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't worry you'll get used to it. It wouldn't be a kawi otherwise. Once in awhile I start thinking about the noise but the minute I crank on the throttle I soon forget.

Donna

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't know guys. he said it sounds like piston slapping!!! thats pretty loud.
my 06 1600 is dead quite other then a faint lifter tic when cold..
if the top end is slapping loud it can't be good. maybe a cam chain tensioner that wore out leaving too much play in the cam chain...
tics I don't worry about, but when you are talking about a slapping noise I think I would look closer

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
This is true... it shouldn't be loud... but then again when people worry about their little baby, they tend to exaggerate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts