Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im moving out to the United Arab Emerites to a place near Dubai so i've decided to get a bike out there since ill be able to drive it all year round. So my question is.. what do u think the maximum amount of cc's on a bike i will be able to get in order so that i can still get insurance on the bike would be? bearing in mind that when i get my license and bike i will be 17 and will have no prior experience in owning a bike. cuz like i doubt i would be able to get insurance on a bike with 1200cc's u know like the kawasaki ZX-12R. lol.

and one more thing.. do u have to have ur own personal bike in order to do and get ur M2 license? (just making sure)

Anyway thx guys. peace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
have you thought about a scooter? might be a safer option

just an idea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a scooter?... funny im not here for jokes mate i just want an answer to my question. Secondly, the ZX-12R thing was just an example of what i obviously couldn't get insured for, i was never planning on actually getting it...

so if anyone actually has the knowledge of knowing the answer to my question then i would appreciate it a lot. thx.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually, it's not that much of a joke, depending on what you need. There are loads of people in my city who have them. I'd imagine you're looking for a "real" motorcycle though, like I was. I started out on an EX250, it was a great starter bike. I would've kept it, I think, if not for a few reasons: It was too small for me to ride in a tuck for very long, it ran at like 8k-9k when I was going 65-70mph, which is a little high for my comfort. Also the shocks were horrendously soft - although after riding the EX500, I appreciate the cushy ride those shocks gave... two bad you can't have both. Anyway, if you're looking for a starter bike that won't embarass you or require you to upgrade (ever, really) I would recommend the EX500 - with a 0-60 time of 4.0 seconds, you'll probably never find a car that can outrun you (unless you live next to a Ferrari dealship that sells a lot of F50s) and it's very comfortable, good windscreen, position somewhere between relaxed and aggressive, endlessly modifiable, good gas mileage - the list goes on. Make sure you buy your safety equipment before you get your bike, though. Full body leathers with armor are best but it might be too hot for that where you're going. An excellent alternative to leather are the mesh jackets by Joe Rocket, you'll see them everywhere. Gloves are a must, helmet (duh) boots... blah blah blah. Look at some of the safety threads. Other recommendations - buy used if you can, provided the bike is in good shape (and was broken in properly). Insurance will be lower for a 500 than a 600 by a drastic margin I believe, and an older bike will be less as well, despite the fact that the bike hasn't changed since '94 (or around there...)

·
Registered
15 Posts
New bike...

I strongly suggest the Ninja 500 R. Its a stock model with 500ccs. It has plenty of get up and go power and speed. (great for carrying 2 people, where the 250 really struggles). It is fun to ride and forgiving also. Its not radical and its a very controlable (and cost efficient!!!) bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx a lot Daekar for ur opinion and ill make sure i get my safety stuff before i start riding the bike. Just another question.. i've been looking around and reading threads n stuff so i was thinking of maybe getting the Kawasaki ZX-6R. Although i have read its a lot better to start off on a 500 instead, like is the 100cc jump that much of a change not to do it? and u said that the insurance between a 600cc and a 500cc was drastic.. so im not sure, i dont really think money is too much of an issue to be honest, its just that i know of 18,19, and 20 year olds that own 600cc bikes and even 650cc bikes and have never had any kind of problem or accident, so i dont really see a problem with starting off with a 600cc (in my case a 636cc or w/e) bike as long as u are sensible about speed and acceleration which i believe i am.

Just wondering what u guys opinions were on my view about my first bike.

Thx bros.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is a huge difference between a Ninja 500 and a ZX-6R...And the insurance will be a lot higher. The Ninja 500 produces 50~60HP. The ZX-6R makes 90~110HP. (Not sure of the exact HP, too lazy to look :lol:)

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
I guess another question is----Do you even need insurance in that country?? Or is insurance even offered there??

Maybe a Nin 500 and good lock????

·
Registered
134 Posts
You will probably need to do some country specific research about insurance in the UAE. I know a little about insurance in the U.S., but I wouldn't be able to hazard a guess about other countries' insurance requirements, availability or rates.

The first question about what kind of bike to get is: "What kind of bike do you want?" Go from there with safety and costs in mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Me again :) They're right, there are a few things to consider when going to another country: Emissions - this may not be an issue, I'm not familiar with the regs in UAE. Signals/Lights/etc - their requirements may be more or less stringent than the one in your country. Fuel - I know that even from state to state and season to season, the fuel in the pump varies in the US. Find out what kind of fuel will be available in the UAE and what kind of additives you bike needs to be capable of handling. Road quality - In most of the developed countries, the roads are good, some more and some less so. In the UAE, it might be inappropriate to own anything but a dual-sport, depending on the quality of the roads you'll be riding on. Try to find out... will post if I think of anything else...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just to confirm, could a 17 year old with no experience riding a bike get insured for a 636cc Kawasaki ninja ZX-6R?? like im gonna be in the United Arab Emerites, but could i get insured for it in the US or Canada? cuz if i can in those places then i must be able to in the UAE.

thx.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Insuring a 100hp+ sportbike for a 17 yr old beginner is going to cost you big bucks, several thousands a year probably.

We definitely don't recommend that much power for any beginner 17 or 37. Not just the power but the power delivery on what is essentially an actual racebike. You need experienced hands to handle a supersport bike effectively and safely, the controls are sensitive and can be unforgiving.

Any beginner mistakes you make will be magnified by this type of bike. Of course you can't go by CC's alone depends on what type of bike, what type of engine. A 750cc V-Twin cruiser will have less than half the power of a 600 Ninja.

If you must have 600cc's or more, then other bikes classified as sport/tourers would be a better choice, Suzuki Katana comes to mind. Much rather see you on a ZR-7S than a ZX-6.

My vote is however for a Ninja 500, pleny of bike to keep you amused for years to come and a great learning tool.
Suzuki makes a 650cc scooter capable of reaching 100mph so don't be too quick to lump all scooters together as toys for tots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts