Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kx250 2 stroke will not kick over. Last time it was running, it was in 5th gear and the motor just cut out and the back tire locked up. Afterwards trying to kick it over it just made a really weird almost scratching like noise, I don't know its kind of hard to explain. Then you couldn't kick it at all it was rock solid. Now its freed up but still won't run. Have asked quite a few people and no one has any idea whats wrong with. The bike is in pieces right now, its been completely taken apart. Checked the spark plug and put a new one in, checked and cleaned the carb, checked the pistons and rings, ordered a new gasket because it got wrecked when taking it apart. checked out the motor and everything looks fine. Completely confused no clue what the problem is. I'm hoping maybe someone might be able to help. Thanks!!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
hows the crank ? sounds like bottom end bearing went bad.. does the rod have UP/DOWN MOVEMENT ???? ANY UP/DOWN is bad bottom end bearing.... side to side is OK/NORMAL....
does crank spin free/smooth ? could be crank bearings in case went bad ?
no gouges/scratches in cylinders ?
no gouges/scratches in piston wall ?
tranny spins free ?
chain in good shape ?
what color is the old/locked up sparkk plug ?

·
Registered
407 Posts
kx250 2 stroke will not kick over. Last time it was running, it was in 5th gear and the motor just cut out and the back tire locked up. Afterwards trying to kick it over it just made a really weird almost scratching like noise, I don't know its kind of hard to explain. Then you couldn't kick it at all it was rock solid. Now its freed up but still won't run. Have asked quite a few people and no one has any idea whats wrong with. The bike is in pieces right now, its been completely taken apart. Checked the spark plug and put a new one in, checked and cleaned the carb, checked the pistons and rings, ordered a new gasket because it got wrecked when taking it apart. checked out the motor and everything looks fine. Completely confused no clue what the problem is. I'm hoping maybe someone might be able to help. Thanks!!
You siezed the engine plain and simple. Either the piston siezed, or the crank. If you have no visable damage to the piston and /or cylinder, then it's the crank bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for your help!! Its much appreciated. The spark plug was black, there isn't any scratches or anything on the piston or cylinder. The bike kicks over now and runs but sounds terrible. I agree that its probably the bearings but haven't taken apart the bottom end.. kind of nervous to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks alot for your help!! Its much appreciated. The spark plug was black, there isn't any scratches or anything on the piston or cylinder. The bike kicks over now and runs but sounds terrible. I agree that its probably the bearings but haven't taken apart the bottom end.. kind of nervous to.
I would leave that to a shop to do because you need to know how to do it and have special tools.It would save alot of trouble.If you know how to put a top end on a bike then you should just have a shop rebuild the bottom end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
not trying to thread jack but i have kinda the same problem. 96 klx 250. when i go to start it the kick start binds every other kick, and just like SnowAngel mention when the engine turns over it sounds rough. this occured i was puttin the bike in my garage for the winter, going real slow in first and the bike stalled for no reason. didnt think anything of it. but when i went to start it, thats how it felt. but it started up again, so i didnt think anything of it. but spring is here now so i wanna get this issue cleared up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
not trying to thread jack but i have kinda the same problem. 96 klx 250. when i go to start it the kick start binds every other kick, and just like SnowAngel mention when the engine turns over it sounds rough. this occured i was puttin the bike in my garage for the winter, going real slow in first and the bike stalled for no reason. didnt think anything of it. but when i went to start it, thats how it felt. but it started up again, so i didnt think anything of it. but spring is here now so i wanna get this issue cleared up.
Kick starter gear is broken , or the spring for it broke... same thing happend to a kdx 200 i was working on...

·
Registered
10 Posts
oh makes sense, if i pull that cover off and investigate it shouldnt be a big deal right? im mechanically inclined, although iv never worked on bikes before, just kinda wanna know what im getting into before i pull it apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts