Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with a Mean Streak 1600 fitted with aftermarket pipes please tell me what fits.
I’ve had so many stories from supposed experts that the meanie 1500 pipes won’t fit but V&H Bigshots from the VN1600 classic will fit while others claim the opposite.

I just need to sit down ‘till my head stops spinning and wait for someone here who’s done it to give me the real story
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

now my head is spinning :lol:
chris, almost all the aftermarket folks have pipes for the meanie(15 and 16) so the choices
are plentiful. putting stock pipes off of a classic or something though - i've never seen that done so not sure-would'nt think that would work though without modifying

v&h,hardchrome,samson,bub all have great pipes for the meanie :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, I've owned the bike 4 days now......those stock pipes have to go......wayyyyy to quiet! Do you guys have a favorite vendor that treats people right?(not the brand name of the pipes, just the seller) Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

you might try here first: Call Beartooth Kawasaki at 1-800-556-3098

not sure if they do aftermarket stuff though!

if not -i'll email you a couple of places
:wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
chris, almost all the aftermarket folks have pipes for the meanie(15 and 16) so the choices
are plentiful. putting stock pipes off of a classic or something though - i've never seen that done so not sure-would'nt think that would work though without modifying

:
Bikeaholic
The reason I'm now confused is that V&H themselves told me to use the Bigshots off the 1600 Classic as the Meanie 1500's won't fit.
As far as all the aftermarket folks go yes they supply pipes for the 1500 yet none can confirm or deny that they will fit the 1600.
Logic tells me that the pipes should fit as the stroke is only 5mm longer on the 1600 but 13,000 miles away in Australia is a bit too far away to return the incorrect item.
As I originally requested is there anyone here who has actually fitted pipes to the 1600
Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a statement by V&H on the cruiser customising website
As of 03/01/04, according to V&H these pipes fit all 1500 Classics, the 1500 Mean Streak (not the 1600) and the 1600 Marauder!

Now I thought the 1600 Marauder was a 1600 Mean Streak made for Suzuki.
Totally confused now.

Anyone able to help if they know of anyone who's fitted pipes to the MS1600?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

aussie,i did'nt realize the 1600 was a issue with pipes,i did some checking and the
1600 seems to be a ******* bike concerning pipes right now.
i did find a muzzy 2into1 pipe that apparently fits,still checking though

the marauder is a copy of the meanie but the pipe setup may be different i have'nt
looked that close,i know the rear fender is different ,we'll get to the bottom of this :lol:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

aussie-from what i can find out V&H does make a pipe for the 1600

they have a propipe(2into1) not listed on the website that will fit
and also some guys are running the bigshots although the application may say
for the 1500-there is also an issue with the right footpeg having to be modified
to run a 2 pipe setup.

i may be able to put you in touch with some of these guys if you like-let me know
but V&H should be able to tell you

hope this helps :wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Somebody (don't remember who) told 1500 Nomad pipes would fit a 1600 Classic perfectly by the engine. Somebody else told me there is no way these could match because of the different engine displacement. Maybe it was just an egghead thinking of cubics instead of bore and stroke. The bore is actually the SAME in every 1500 and 1600 Vulcan models. Only the stroke is 5mm longer in the 1600 models.

Now, if we assume that the angle between the cylinders is the same between these models (which it probably is because of the similar crankcases) the difference between the exhaust holes can be counted. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere information about the angle, so let's assume it's about 55° (same as Honda ACE 750). This means, that the difference would be about 8 mm longer in 1600 models. So by spreading each pipe 4 mm out, theoratically you could fit the 1500 pipes. BUT since we don't know if Kawasaki has moved the position of the holes related to the cylinders, we can just guess these things or try with different pipes.

Then again, are there volunteers who'd like to measure their 1500's?? I mean, at least I'd appreciate it very much, since I'm thinking of buying stock Nomad exhaust to my 1600. Please answer if possible. :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

this is what i got so far after all the confusion :lol:

v&h bigshots will fit -there will be a small gap between flange and head once tightened
down ( this is normal)

the PROPIPE form v&h (2into1 pipe) will also fit but the application says for 1500

roadhouse pipes also has a 2into1 for the 1600 meanie that will fit.
:wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Everything I've read says that the 1600 is the exact same engine as the 1500, except that the stroke has been increased 5mm, and the cam and valve timing have been adjusted. This should in no way effect the spacing or fitting of the pipes.

If you contact Kawasaki, ask them what the part number for the stock exhaust for the 1500 and 1600 is. I'm willing to bet it's the same stock pipe. If it is, the same aftermarket pipes will fit.

I'm actually on hold with V&H right now. They've told me previously that the Propipe won't fit the 1500 Mean Streak, but I keep hearing about people who have it. Hopefully I'll get this worked out.

Blackwood

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like 1500 exhaust really fits the 1600 engines :) ... So that's good news for me at least. Now I just need somebody to sell me a Nomad stock exhaust system... But still like to know if somebody could make the measures :) ... Anybody??... Nobody??

·
Registered
487 Posts
ok now I'm confused :? I emailed v&h about their pipes, I was looking at their Bigshots for my 1500 meanie. Their response was that they have no future plans to make any pipes with their Power chamber feature, which the Big shots have :? :? :?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just looked in the Dennis Kirk catalog and they have about 10 different exhaust systems listed for the 04 meanie 1600. They do have different part number for them. I didn't not see one listed for 02/04, most of them list up to 03 and then you have the ones listed for the 04 only. Take it for what it's worth. I'm looking at pipes for mine, I'll let you guys know what I find out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thinking logically, Kawasaki surely won't make two type of pipes with just few mm of difference. That's an economical question. So, I think I'll try the Nomad pipes in my 1600, if I only find somebody who could sells. By the way, I might get some measures from the 1500's, so I'll keep you posted if things work out :) .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's what I got so far. Shogun (Samson) as the full Warlord line available for the 1600 meanie. Hard Krome as 4 different models, Muzzy as a few also. Others are escaping me at the moment but there is plenty of choice already. It can only get better from here........woooohooooo

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yea- pipes are there, but the 1500 stuff is plentiful seems the 1600 isn't
from what i hear hard chrome and muzzy have the best fit :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Hard Chrome 2004 catalog shows different part numbers for the '04 1600. I think that you will find that because of the increased stroke even as little as it is, that the deck height has been raised the same amount. If you work your trig and the 50 degree V, it will add enough distance between the exhaust ports to warrant another part number.

I too have been told alot of things by several suppliers but get the feeling that they are just working from a computer or catalog and may not have alot of mechanical hands on experience.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts