Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Mean Streak 1600 Questions

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  qskaw 
#1 ·
I am considering an '04 Mean Streak 1600, and was curious as to what kind of aftermarket seats are available for this bike. The stock seat doesn't allow much padding for me to take my wife along and I would like to get something a little more suitable for her in case she wants to ride along. Nothing for long haul touring, but something that would work for rides of less than 100 miles or so.

Also, I would like to get a nice set of aftermarket pipes (2-2) for the bike and would like to know what is recommended for the Mean Streak 1600.

Any Mean Streak owners out there have any ideas/suggestions?

For the 1600 Mean Streak owners, any comments on the performance of this bike? Is there much difference between the 1500 and the 1600?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated :)

#2 ·
Nitro, There are a couple of options available for seats. The two that I like best for what you are looking for would be the Mustang seat or Kawasaki F&S seat. I've sat on both and they are good. Both seam to provide a good seat for the rider and passenger. Mustang and Kawi both give a couple of style options. I've had 3 Mustang seats and currently have approx. 31K on my Nomad seat and it still looks like new. I have a Corbin Young Guns on my 04 Streak with approx 5K and love it but your passenger isn't going to like it more than a couple miles. I believe they also have a seat for the Streak simular to the Kawi F&S but I've not sat on it. The riding position on the Corbin seems be just a little deeper and further back than the Mustang. Mustang comfort can't be beat. I've made several 500 mile days on the Nomad with the Mustang. Longest ride on the Streak/Corbin is 250 and it was comfortable all the way. Sorry about the long post but I've got something over 45K setting up in a Mustang seat in the last 4 years and the only thing I can say in the negative is that the seat is just a little thick (wide) in the front. That is partly because of the 30" inseam (short legs). Good luck in your choice. John

#4 ·
Hi Dave :) Yeah I guess I might be a little smarter than I look :lol:

Still looking though. I'm hoping to be on a bike within a couple weeks 8)

#5 ·
nomadrider1 said:
Nitro, There are a couple of options available for seats. The two that I like best for what you are looking for would be the Mustang seat or Kawasaki F&S seat. I've sat on both and they are good. Both seam to provide a good seat for the rider and passenger. Mustang and Kawi both give a couple of style options. I've had 3 Mustang seats and currently have approx. 31K on my Nomad seat and it still looks like new. I have a Corbin Young Guns on my 04 Streak with approx 5K and love it but your passenger isn't going to like it more than a couple miles. I believe they also have a seat for the Streak simular to the Kawi F&S but I've not sat on it. The riding position on the Corbin seems be just a little deeper and further back than the Mustang. Mustang comfort can't be beat. I've made several 500 mile days on the Nomad with the Mustang. Longest ride on the Streak/Corbin is 250 and it was comfortable all the way. Sorry about the long post but I've got something over 45K setting up in a Mustang seat in the last 4 years and the only thing I can say in the negative is that the seat is just a little thick (wide) in the front. That is partly because of the 30" inseam (short legs). Good luck in your choice. John

nomadrider1,

Thanks for the information :) I'll take a look at the seats that you mentioned.

#6 ·
Nitro, There are a number of pipes available. I like Muzzy pipes because they have been rated higher by some magazine comparisons and they provide good hp and have a very good sound. I am running the Muzzy 2-2 Drag Style pipes and like them a lot. They are relatively quiet at idle and cruising but bark with a good roll on the throttle. I run them with the ForceWinder air intake and TFI set up. I got the information from Sherm's Cycle Products in Oregon. Steve, the owner, drag races a M/S and he made the recommendation and the TFI set up.

#7 ·
seats and pipes

I bought the dual touring Corbin and love it. My daughter and I ride a lot and she loves the seat too. Got both of us a back rest so it works out great. As for pipes, I got the HK Stippers. The sound is AWESOME. The neighbors don't need an alarm clock throughout the week when I get ready to take off for work...LOL

Good luck!:lol: :lol: :lol:

#8 ·
The Meanie is a great bike. I just added a set of Bub Jug Huggers to mine a couple of weeks ago. There's a sound clip of them in that thread too. I need to record a better one sometime. I like the looks and sound of the Jug Huggers a lot. They're a bit pricey though. That's not a problem if you have a good Sugar Momma (wish I did, ha)! :D

As for the seat, I've got a Danny Gray Plain Raven Seat on mine. It's not too bad on the longer rides, but I don't think your passenger is going to enjoy it all that much since it's a little narrow and thin back there.

#10 ·
I put a Mustang seat on mine. I like it because I can pull the pillion off. I only put it on when my GF rides with me. Also, she told me that it sits better than any seat she had rode on, well until I bought my Nomad. LOL
You will find a dozen different companies who make pipes. Just look at them all online and on other people's bike and make your decision. Personally I have used HKs and V&Hs. I like the V&H Big Shots that I have now, they have a nice look, deep sound and somewhat of a power boost. The set of HKs I had before were good pipes too. And my brother has a set of HK 3" staggard straights on his, they really look good and have a nice sound.
The difference between a 1500 and 1600? Ah, about 100 ccs. LOL But seriously, there is a noticable power difference between the 2. When I bought my 04 it was about even with my brothers 03 with hyperchager, pipes, and PC. After I added a pro series hypercharger, pipes and PC3 I could take him off the line and also pull away on rolling starts.

#11 ·
I would have to cast my vote for the mustang saddle. I recently returned from Florida and my wife said the seat was great. With the stock seat she was only able to ride about 50miles before she was ready to call it a day. This trip we had a 495 mile day and she was still able to smile about it. As for the pipes, I have the 1500 Meanie and the HK staggered straights are perfect. They purr while you cruise and roar when you accelerate (to wake up the cellphone-makeup artist weaving into your lane.)

#12 ·
I have an '05 Meanie and as others have said, its an awesome bike. I can only tell you about my own personal experiences, but I have the 2 piece Mustang classic seat with a set of Vance and Hines BigShots exhaust. The exhaust looks nice, is well built and provides good performance. 2-2 exhausts typically dont provide the power gains of a 2-1 exhaust unless you get one with a crossover pipe like the Bigshots have. I think the Bub Jug Huggers have a crossover too. The crossover acts like a 2-1, with the look of a 2-2.

As for the seat, I like the Mustang two piece because I can remove the passenger seat and make it look like a solo saddle when I want, or add the passenger for riders. Its the best of both worlds. I am in the minority who never really had a problem with the stock seat. I rode on the stock seat 580 miles from Chicago to Pigeon Forge, TN in one day and my butt wasnt any worse for the wear (I was physically drained, but that was due to the ride).

The Mean Streak is an awesome bike in all ways. It looks good, it has great power and great handling, but still has the characteristics of a cruiser.

You will not go wrong with it!

#13 ·
I have an '05 Meanie and as others have said, its an awesome bike. I can only tell you about my own personal experiences, but I have the 2 piece Mustang classic seat with a set of Vance and Hines BigShots exhaust. The exhaust looks nice, is well built and provides good performance. 2-2 exhausts typically dont provide the power gains of a 2-1 exhaust unless you get one with a crossover pipe like the Bigshots have. I think the Bub Jug Huggers have a crossover too. The crossover acts like a 2-1, with the look of a 2-2.

As for the seat, I like the Mustang two piece because I can remove the passenger seat and make it look like a solo saddle when I want, or add the passenger for riders. Its the best of both worlds. I am in the minority who never really had a problem with the stock seat. I rode on the stock seat 580 miles from Chicago to Pigeon Forge, TN in one day and my butt wasnt any worse for the wear (I was physically drained, but that was due to the ride).

The Mean Streak is an awesome bike in all ways. It looks good, it has great power and great handling, but still has the characteristics of a cruiser.

You will not go wrong with it!
Hey Constrictor,
just wanted to give a big "thanks" for the work you did on the Caddman tutorial. I studied it forward and backward before trying the mod on my Meanie. I must say, you made it simple to follow and the photos helped me follow what you were talking about. I've recommended the mod and the tutorial to a few of my friends. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.