Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at putting a new exhaust on my Mean Streak. I was thinking about either a Cobra or V&H short shots. Which are the better exhaust to use? Which are the better quanlity?

There aren't many Mean Streaks around here and very limited experience on using these after market exhaust plus I need to import them. I am planning to put on a Power Commander to retune the bike for the new exhaust so I need to buy an exhaust with a Powercommander map.

Whats your opinion?

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I'd like to be the first person to welcome you to the board. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Welcome Drewboy. Try this place they race meanies an know alot about what what you want to know. You might want to call them as well because they can answer any of your question's about performance, an pipes. www.shermscycleproducts.com

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome Drewboy! If those are the only two pipes you are looking at, then I would go with the V&H. I think they are better quality, IMHO. However, do a quick search in this site for mean streak exhaust, you will find that we have talked a lot about that topic with a lot of great info. Some guys even post their HP and Torque gains along with how much they paid for all the mods. I have a 2004 Blue Mean Streak. Personally, I am waiting for the Hard Krome 2-1 Accelerator II's to come out. I would have just put on the Muzzy pipe on by now, but I am just waiting for the HK to come out to make sure I don't regret it in a few months. Wish you luck and ride safe. -- Tony

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome..have a look at the DG hardkrome range from DG performance, I have a pair of 3" Big straights on for more than 12000km, quality is exceptional and sounds perfect.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i second h/k pipes :wink:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Hardkromes here also. I LOVE the sound they make!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Had a set of H-K 3" long straights on my 1500 Mean Streak. They looked and sounded great, but they proved just a bit too loud for me. Supposedly H-K is working on some quieter baffles, but no idea how soon.

I recently moved into a townhouse community and the way the buildings are placed causes any sound to reverbrate between them. I have some elderly people who are wonderful neighbors, and they watch my place while I'm gone. As I keep much later hours than they do, I put the stock pipes back on ... and put the H-Ks up for sale on eBay.

BTW I found that there is a vast amount of knowledge on this forum.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the boards, Drew!!!! Check 2 or 3 pages back there are a lot of good info in here, happy shopping.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
tschrnr said:
Had a set of H-K 3" long straights on my 1500 Mean Streak. They looked and sounded great, but they proved just a bit too loud for me. Supposedly H-K is working on some quieter baffles, but no idea how soon.

I recently moved into a townhouse community and the way the buildings are placed causes any sound to reverbrate between them. I have some elderly people who are wonderful neighbors, and they watch my place while I'm gone. As I keep much later hours than they do, I put the stock pipes back on ... and put the H-Ks up for sale on eBay.

BTW I found that there is a vast amount of knowledge on this forum.
tschrnr....You sound like a great neighbor! :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Believe me, I'd much rather be running the H-K's ... :)

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
403 Posts
Believe me, I'd much rather be running the H-K's ... :)

In fact, if anyone knows of some after-market pipes that are somewhere in-between, I'd sure like a lot less restriction and a little more noise.

Thanks,
Tim

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
welcome

welcome to the forum. i am just going to second what every one else is saying. if cobra and V&H are your only choices, then go with V&H. if you are open to new choices, then Hard Krome is supposed to be one of the best. good luck.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I guess I'm odd man out on this. To me, the stock pipes are absolutely sweet-sounding. Beautiful V-twin lope at idle, and while cruising, they sound like the old big-block, stick GTO's I used to own. I don't know what they sound like to people who are not on the bike. but where I sit, they are melodious & authoritative-sounding. The sound does my soul good. The Honda Spirit 1100 I owned previously did absolutely nothing for me. It didn't have the "soul", like the Meanie.
Regards

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
I have the Cobra Speedster Shorts. They look sharp and sound good, but the HKs sound even better than mine!

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Didn't want Steve to be the only odd man, does that make us even? I too like the sound of the stock exhaust. When I bought the Mean Streak my short list included the Victory Kingpin. It was a more powerful bike and handled really well. I have to admit that I like the look of the Kingpin better but the reason I didn't buy it was because it was too "in your face". The mean streak has all the performance I need (more than I need) and it runs flawlessly so I'm happy to not mess with it.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I'll have to go with Steve and Bross also. I like the rumble and sound of the stock exhaust on my mean streak also. Quiet enough to not bother the neighbors but that nice loping rumble on the road. It all comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I was happy enough with the stock pipes but they are a bit quite. I was chasing a few bikes back from a country pub the other weekend. The road is very tight with lots of corners and hills and I got a bit too low in some corners and scrapped of the cover plate on the bottom exhaust.

The replacement is cost for this bit is NZ$250 so for a bit more I thought I would buy a whole new set of exhausts. Yes it’s the small cover plate that hides the lower pipe where it goes into the cat converter. It made my knees weak when I was told of the price.

I was only looking at the V&H and Corba as they had good web sites and had maps on the power commander site.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very nice pipes but very pricey, are you running that pipe, looks real cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts