Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mean Streak has logged almost 500 miles. Since the beginning I hear this rattle in the fork area. It can be heard mostly over concrete roads (due to the various expansion slots). I can even feel the rattle un the handlebars. I took it to the dealer and they cannot replicate the problem. They claim everything is to spec. Yet this little rattle is comming between me and my bike. I am not confident on the freway, because i keep hearing this noise. Any similar problem with other owners?

I already learned to live with the balancer noise inside the engine....

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey tranq, welcome to the forum....have you or did theycheck all the nuts and bolts in the front end starting with the head light...you may go thru all that and if you still have the same problem...you may have a out of balance wheel..

·
Registered
487 Posts
tranq, as bud8 said check every nut and bolt in the front end. I also have a meanstreak, actually had two for a while. both of the bikes had what sounds like the same noise you have. I also had the dealer check everything then I checked it myself, found nothing wrong. then had an old mechanic buddy of mine that has been working on bikes since the caveman invented the wheel and he explained to me that do to the angle of the forks that certain type of bumps cause the noise or vibration and it is more noticable in some bikes than other. he also checked my bike and said nothing was wrong. hope this helps, but still check everything. better safe than sorry. also welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
i've experienced this before on weird roads, and occassionally I go crazy and accidentally drive on constructions grooved roads that make even your car move, may be perfectly normal, may be a loose bolt/axle/nut...get out the allen wrenches

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Welcome!! I just received the shop manual. This week I am tearing the front end apart. The noise is more on the shock rebound and it only happens on uneven surfaces. If the surface is good it runs like a beauty. Thanks again for the tips. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ya know those black eyelets that the front brake lines run thru at the fender? Those will rattle like a SOB. Wiggle them to see if that's what you're hearing. There is a little slop in them. I put a piece of saftey wire around the nub on the inside of the fender to tighten them up and quiet them down.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Trailryder42 said:
Ya know those black eyelets that the front brake lines run thru at the fender? Those will rattle like a SOB. Wiggle them to see if that's what you're hearing. There is a little slop in them. I put a piece of saftey wire around the nub on the inside of the fender to tighten them up and quiet them down.
You are right on that one. I noticed it the first week I owned mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts