Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While getting ready to mount a Kawasaki black highway bar (p/n K32000-036) on my 1999 Drifter 1500, I was struck by how dimensionally similar it was to the chrome Cobra highway bar I have mounted on my 2006 Mean Streak. I immediately thought that the black Drifter highway bar might fit on a Mean Streak and would look particularly good on the SE/LE models.

I unbolted the Cobra bar from my Meanie and tried to mount the Kawasaki Drifter bar instead. The two bolts into the footpeg brackets fit perfectly. The bracket at the top of the bar has two holes for the two bolts that hold the horn bracket on Meanies. When you install the Cobra bar, you remove the horn and bracket and, using a cobra supplied bracket, relocate the horn to the left side of the frame neck. The Kawasaki Drifter bar would require a simple mod to be able to mount using the two horn bracket holes. The top bracket is too tall, but if you cut down the bracket and drill two replacement holes, it will fit just fine.

Many dealers are clearing out their Drifter accessories since the Drifters are no longer sold. The retail on the Kawasaki highway bar is $200, I think I paid about $160 from an online Kawasaki OEM part supplier SpeedSupplies.Com. SpeedSupplies.com no longer has the black highway bar listed in stock, but Rick Roush Accessories lists it at $154. Do a web search on the Kawasaki p/n K32000-036 and you'll find other sources.

So if you're looking for a black power-coated highway bar for your SE/LE Mean Streak, consider getting one for a Drifter 1500 and using it. I thought it looked pretty nice on my black Mean Streak and I would have put it on there if I didn't already have a chrome highway bar. This same mod might work easily on a 1600 Classic too. You'll have to come up with your own idea for a horn relocation bracket, but that's really simple because there are holes on the left side of the frame neck that you can use to attach a simple bracket.

The V notch in the top bracket is for the Drifter's speedometer cable. Since the Meanie's speedometer is on the triple tree, not on the tank, this notch isn't needed. If you try this mod for a 1600 classic, you'll need to cut a notch.

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Mike....that is excellent detailed information. I said something to Todd about it. Since it looks like the mount will work on my SE Meanie, I'm going to order them. Heck, not only are they less money to start with but I'll save a bunch on NOT having to pay to have them painted! Thanks a bunch.

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Ok....I couldn't wait....I just ordered it!!! Thanks again Mike.

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
There's on on ebay motors right now. Shipping is excessive, but total price might not be bad at all!!!

eBay Motors: ENGINE GAURD Kawasaki VN1500 Vucan Drifter 99-00 NEW VN (item 370016503121 end time Jan-30-08 13:05:38 PST)

Looks like the bottom brackets might be bent, so you should double-check with the seller...
I ordered them two days ago. The price was right and they were already black (big bonus). Todd said he can do the mods you suggested so it was a no brainer. Thanks again Mike.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
I'm going to have to put this up over on the Meanie Forums. :) But, I still like my H&Bs a helluva lot more (but I don't have them black, either!). :)

Ha ha! Wow...this isn't new at all! I wonder if there was a spammer bringing it back to life? Oh well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts