Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about shipping my Mean Streak over to the USA and spending 3 months touring around between July - Oct. What are the best states for motorbike touring? Are there any good web sites with road info and motor bike event on them?

PS
I live in New Zealand so I am use to winding roads and lots of hills. Its the big motorways the frighten me.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I'll start this thread off with my opinion then the other's will follow. First 3 months won't be enough to see every place that's great to see in this country. With that said if you want to avoid most of the population stick to the west side of the mississippi. 2/3 of the land in the lower 48 is on this side while 2/3 of the population is on the east side. If you want hill's an mountains stick to the rockies from New Mexico to Canada. plenty of twisties an alot less crowds. The ozarks in Arkansas an Missouri are also a good starting point. While the desert in Arizona an Nevada would be a good stopping point in Oct. When you finally decide where your going to start an stop ,post it on the forum and I'm sure a few of the member's (me included) would be happy to show you around our own riding places.

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Hey DrewBoy,

To reinforce something Woodchucks800 wrote, some of the best roads I've ever seen were in the Colorado Rockies. Sounds like a cool trip you have planned. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Scott

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
we'd be glad to have you tour the country and if your in my neck of the woods let me know. This link was posted on here previously and has a lot of good hwy descriptions and mileages for the states..

http://www.motorcycleroads.us

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

don't let my tarheel buds see this but the roads of the western USA are
some of the best roads you'll find :wink:

·
Registered
806 Posts
The Motorcycle roads website is a great place to map out a bunch of paths and alternatives. Maybe it's because I'm a Blue Devil fan but I have to agree with bikeaholic and say stay out west. The NC mountains are great to play in for a few days but if you really want to cruise it's hard to beat the west, from the plains to the Pacific. The east is peppered with freeways and crowded compared to the western states. If you're going to try and hit some of the big National Park's try and avoid summer. July and August can be worse than a NYC traffic jam is alot of the parks.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
bikeaholic said:
don't let my tarheel buds see this but the roads of the western USA are
some of the best roads you'll find :wink:
That may be Biko but after looking at some pic's of Deal's Gap ,that's one road I've got to ride someday.<BG> Plus the blueridge parkway look's pretty good also.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yea. the blue ridge is absolutley worth riding and the dragon is awesome
even in a sportscar :grin:
there is no place quite like the great smokeys even out west :grin:
but the pacific coast hiway is something everyone should do once

·
Registered
19 Posts
My two cents

All of these guys are right, there are somany excellent places to ride. I grew up in and around the Ozark country and now I live in Michigan. Something well worth your tour would be at least seeing some of the great lakes. I find the upper peninsula ( UP for locals) of Michigan wonderful. Lake Superior is breath taking and I swear the best beaches are not on the coasts but on the east coast of Lake Michigan (not alot of crowds and yes, white sand). The water can be cold though. July August and Sept are the best months. Weather is usually perfect for riding.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
well, it sounds like these guys have you covered. i think i will just jump on board with woodchucks' post, i think he laid out some pretty good stuff. seems like he started something, everyone is aiming in that direction ! definitely let us know what and where your plans will be. i may be taking my road trip in late July, so maybe we will have to cross paths.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking of doing the Easy Rider thing and just crusier off into the sunset but it does pay to know the places to keep away from and the nice areas to go to.

I have told not to go in July as everyone in the USA is on holoiday so I was thing Aug - Oct.

The easiest port for me is LA so I'll start there and head up North.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts