Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried the windvest windshield on a mean streak or found a windshield that looks good and also works

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hidalgo came with a Memphis Shades wind shield. It is the narrow type and I believe it is the 17" variety. The wind hits my head quite a bit, I am 5'10" so I took it off this weekend. I must say that the bike changes looks and personality, but on a 30 mile windy ride my shoulders did complain. I am trying to figure out if a shorter one or a longer one will do better.

What I did like bout the Memphis shades hardware is that it makes it a snap to remove and mount the windshield. Took me less than a minute.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Kawi windshield

I have had the Kawi wind shield on mty bike about two years. I am quite satisfied with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the Memphis Shades. If you purchase the quick release mounts, you also have the ability to adjust the hight by a few inches.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I've got a Memphis Shades 17", the same as JeffQ. I like the look of it on the bike and like others said it's a quick job to remove it if you want.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just got a F&S windshield yesterday. It's kinda short but looks GREAT. Gonna go try it out today if it doesn't rain. Supposed to be 73 today!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the Memphis Shades Alley Cat in the Solar and the quick release kit. The kit gives you both vertical and tilt adjustments and I was able to get it set so the stream just hits the top of my helmet. I haven't seen a windshield that looks as good as the bike does without but this one works well for me when I need it (long highway runs).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I looked at a lot of screens before deciding to have a custom screen made similar to the one in the photo of a screen available in the UK. From previous experience I did not want a screen that buffeted or vibrated at speed, nor one that was too big or spoilt the lines of the Mean Streak. My custom screen should be fitted next week, I hope. :razz:

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is a nice looking screen, Oz. I'd be interested in hearing the effect of the screen that you put on. At sub-60 mph speeds, I don't find the lack of a windscreen to be much of a factor. I'm 5' 6" and the wind catches me in the shoulders without much buffeting to speak of. I can see where having a screen on extended rides at highway speeds would be a plus, though.

The proportions of that screen seem to be just right to suit the lines of the MS/Marauder 1600, but I'm curious as to where the wind might be displaced to. Of course, that may be as much a factor of rider height and riding position as of the screen.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ozmeanie that windscreen looks really good i would like to know how it works for you and where i could get one

·
Registered
23 Posts
The screen in the photo is from the UK Kawasaki website: http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/category.asp?Id=FEBECB884&CGA=1
The screen I am having fitted to my bike, while similar, is custom made here in Melbourne Australia.
It will be a lot cheaper and hopefully look even better.
As soon as I have a photo of it fitted on my bike I will upload it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would like to thank all that have responded to my questions about windshields i still haven't decided i would like to see a picture of flynsouth's alley cat on his meanie and any others that are different
thanks again
jnk

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Ozmeanie said:
I looked at a lot of screens before deciding to have a custom screen made similar to the one in the photo of a screen available in the UK. From previous experience I did not want a screen that buffeted or vibrated at speed, nor one that was too big or spoilt the lines of the Mean Streak. My custom screen should be fitted next week, I hope. :razz:
as said, that is a good looking screen!

·
Registered
806 Posts
jnk, I noticed that the pic's on this thread look exactly like my windshield "Mean Streak Travel Logs and pics ". I'm traveling so can't get a pic up but there's a couple different views that should give you a good idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
jnk-
I'll tell you one windshield to stay away from--The Memphis Shades Pop Top. I selected it because I wanted a small shield that would give some degree of protection but still look good on the bike. It fullfilled the appearance requirement, but the amount of buffeting behind it is intollerable. I tried making every adjustment I could, but nothing worked. It's so bad I finally removed it and am riding without it. I wrote Memphis Shades about this problem, but only received a idiotic, undeciferable reply that must have been composed by a 3rd grade drop out. I've thought about trying one of their larger shields, but am afraid to take the risk of buying another one and ending up with the same problem.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ouch, all I can say is I'm 6'0, 200lbs and have their Alley Cat. I wish I had their Big Shot to compare it against in terms of air flow, at max vertical the AC is fine, be interested in how the the BS managed in comparison. To be honest I'd rather avoid a windshield (and I ride 95+% without it) and what I've learned is that if I'm going to buy/use one on the freeways and long trips the bigger the better, personal choice.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zero260 i rode one with the kaw shield before i bought mine and i felt the same way about it it seemed to keep the wind off my chest and put it all on my head.
you might want to check out the pics that flynsouht talked about

flynsouth
thanks for the info on the pic's have a good and safe trip

jnk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts