Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the Mean Streak owners who added risers.

Did any of you have to replace your break and/or clutch cable after installing risers? We just installed 2" risers on my Meanie. The break cable didn't allow for any 'give' and is a tad bit on the tight side. We were able to release a little pressure off the clutch cable so that doesn't seem to be too bad but I didn't know if there would be future issues with the break cable connection. Just wondering what modifications (if any) some of you folks had to make with your cables after adding risers?

·
Registered
875 Posts
when i changed my bars i had to put the clutch and brake lines behind the trees that gave them enough slack without replacing them

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i changed my bars i had to put the clutch and brake lines behind the trees that gave them enough slack without replacing them
Thanks for the tip. My husband just went out and looked at that option. Doesn't look like I have enough length on my cable to reach behind the trees (would be worse in my case). Bummer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Are your risers a true 2 inches? Mine were 1.75 back and 1.50 or so up. My hoses were both stretched pretty tight but have loosened up and are just fine now.

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are your risers a true 2 inches? Mine were 1.75 back and 1.50 or so up. My hoses were both stretched pretty tight but have loosened up and are just fine now.
I stand corrected. They are 2 1/2". A little longer than I thought. Here is a video we took today when my husband took it out to test all the connections. I don't think you can see the cable or risers too well but you'll get the idea. Video of Todd_Meanie - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
875 Posts
i also have a ms it should help here is a pic of mine

·
Registered
297 Posts
If I were you, I would definately pull the hoses behind the tree and see if that gives you the slack you need. If not, you'll have to order some longer hoses.
Good luck!

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This should make it easier to see.

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I were you, I would definately pull the hoses behind the tree and see if that gives you the slack you need. If not, you'll have to order some longer hoses.
Good luck!
Yea...I'm thinking longer hoses are in my future.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does your hubby know how to loosen the triple tree and move the hoses in front of it? I was lucky and did not have to move mine for the risers that I bought.

Have you checked the hoses while you rode the bike in a few turns? Mine loosened up as I rode it a few times.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Meangirl , you should be able to get them behind the tree and get some slack. Might have to remove the bars and then slide each component (brake controls, and throttel) off the bar, then fish them back under the top tree and put them back in place and then replace the bar.

Ride Safe,
Mike

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
MG,

I *had* to move the front brake cable behind the triple tree when I put 2" GenMar risers on. If you unbolt the headlight, you can snake the controls thru the opening between the tubes fairly easily. I also had to remove the clutch cable from the cable holders to get enough slack. The throttle cables are very tight when I put the handlebars at full left lock. I've got a set of +4 cables that I'm going to put on my bike sometime this winter when I take off the 2" risers and put on 4" risers that GenMar made for me.

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does your hubby know how to loosen the triple tree and move the hoses in front of it? I was lucky and did not have to move mine for the risers that I bought.

Have you checked the hoses while you rode the bike in a few turns? Mine loosened up as I rode it a few times.
Yea, I believe he does know how to loosen the triple tree (Todd?). He took it for a test ride and didn't have a problem making turns. A tight turn is when we have concerns.
okiecop Nice risers btw!
Gracie! :D
bucstreak Meangirl , you should be able to get them behind the tree and get some slack. Might have to remove the bars and then slide each component (brake controls, and throttel) off the bar, then fish them back under the top tree and put them back in place and then replace the bar.
Hummm.....Todd?
mkelley
I *had* to move the front brake cable behind the triple tree when I put 2" GenMar risers on. If you unbolt the headlight, you can snake the controls thru the opening between the tubes fairly easily. I also had to remove the clutch cable from the cable holders to get enough slack.
Ohhhh Toooddddd? Does that sound like something you might want to tackle? ;) All the other cables are good. The only tight one is the break. You can see in the pics I posted.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Sandy, I have 6" risers on my meanie.
The stock ones work in a pinch, but its better to have that extra slack.
I replaced all with SS lines and SS cables. Looks good and never have to worry about the short fit.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I installed 8 inch pullback risers on mine and had to purchase longer brake hose and clutch hose. I moved the brake cable in front of the triple tree and it has worked fine for the last 5 years. I assume if you move all hoses and cables in front of the tree you shouldn't have a problem with 2 inch risers. I also removed the cable/hose guides from the MS and used guides from a Classic which keep everything from rubbing on the tank.

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sandy, I have 6" risers on my meanie.
The stock ones work in a pinch, but its better to have that extra slack.
I replaced all with SS lines and SS cables. Looks good and never have to worry about the short fit.
Are you saying initially (before you swapped out the cables) your stock cables snugly worked with 6" risers? :eek:

·
Registered
807 Posts
From my experience, rerouting the cables will give you quite a bit of slack, more than most risers need. I don't think it will be any problem at full lock with rerouted cables.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts