Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So, how about some pros/cons of the early 2000's Meanstreaks and the new 900 Customs. I'm looking at the 900 (finding several used with about 2K on the for a ball park of $6K). But, the Meanstreaks have been catching my eye. Seeing some around '02-'04 with about 10K on them for $6-7K. My wife has an '06 Classic 900 and we both really like it. Here's a little about me: 6'-2" and about 230, broad shoulder build (Norwegian) with fairly long arms/legs. I like the custom looks. I love cruising but now and then don't shy away from giving her a good twist now and then. Either route, I am looking at doing mods. All cosmetic except intake, exhaust and PCIII. So, just curious what you folks could offer me in way of opinions. Thanks!

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Hello Alstensby-
I think you'll find that the taller riders like to change the meany to forward controls for a bit more leg room. The 900 custom comes with factory forwards and a slightly wider bar than the meany. I find the 900 pretty comfortable (the seat sucks) and I'm the same size as you.

I'd go with the meany because it's much faster, it handles really well, and there are lots of options to mod it. You can find them at very good prices as well.

When I bought my 900c, I was also considering the meany, but decided to go with the 900 because the controls fit me better. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the meany and swapped the controls.

my .02 good luck in your search.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I'm sorry, can these two bikes be compared fairly??? One is a mid-sized cruiser and the other a balls-out rocketship. Don't kid yourself, get the Meanie. If you want a change, swap with the wife and ride the cruiser you already have. Why get two of the same?

I dunno, call me crazy I guess...
Daryl

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry, can these two bikes be compared fairly??? One is a mid-sized cruiser and the other a balls-out rocketship. Don't kid yourself, get the Meanie. If you want a change, swap with the wife and ride the cruiser you already have. Why get two of the same?

I dunno, call me crazy I guess...
Daryl
Have an opinion on this? lmao. Yeah...that's kind of what I'm thinking. Does the extra 100lbs make much of a difference for cruising? More stable? I'm relatively new to riding again. Started back up last summer after dirtbikes and 500s when I was younger.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Sorry but the bikes aren't comparable in any way. The ride and feel are daylight and dark. The MS is very popular here but everytime I ride one I walk away very disappointed. Since you have a 900 already, I would strongly suggest you ride a MS before considering buying. You might love it, you might not.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The MS is heavier and has more torque and will be much better two up than the 900 (if you change the seat) but it is very hard to compare the 2 as they are totally different bikes. The meanstreak I would say does have the top class handling and the brakes are I would say the best in its class but not the fastest. I would suggest riding one first if possible. I found it hard to find a demo on one as they are a bit rare in the UK but once I did that was it, choice made !!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hello Alstensby-
I think you'll find that the taller riders like to change the meany to forward controls for a bit more leg room. The 900 custom comes with factory forwards and a slightly wider bar than the meany. I find the 900 pretty comfortable (the seat sucks) and I'm the same size as you.

I'd go with the meany because it's much faster, it handles really well, and there are lots of options to mod it. You can find them at very good prices as well.

When I bought my 900c, I was also considering the meany, but decided to go with the 900 because the controls fit me better. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the meany and swapped the controls.

my .02 good luck in your search.
I'm not gettin' all the hate for the stock 900 Custom seat. I've ridden mine for 2 hours at a time with absolutely no problems. Just sayin'.

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
Turtle Wax Taster...you must have a strange behind. I love my Mustang wide touring seat, although it pinches the left jewel at times. I think that must be my anatomy. However the stock was a brick up the rear.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah...I wasn't so much looking for a direct comparison of the two as they are different bikes. I was more looking for thoughts/opinions of both. What some pros are and what some cons are for each. I do like the custom 900, but fear I'll tire of it quickly. The Meanie's are a bigger bike which is nice, but not 100% if it's what I need at this time.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think you're doing the right thing. If you have 7 grand to spend on a bike, you should look at all bikes that are 7 grand. Some people, like me, prefer a new, smaller bike rather than an older, bigger bike. I'm not much of a mechanic so I'd rather have something that I didn't need to constantly work on - although there are people here that have older bikes and have never put a wrench to 'em and they run just fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The bikes are in two different classes, so trying to make a comparison would be complicated. I’m 5’ 10” at 210lb and after riding both at the local dealer; I went for the 900 Custom. Did not like the throttle response on the MS, maybe I was just not used to the power which it is NOT lacking at all. I was leaning a bit forward on the MS, which did not feel comfortable at all. On the custom I was in a more comfortable riding position. The power on the custom was good enough but is still lacking, probable should have gotten the MS and customize it to fit. I also have a Ninja 650 for when I have the need for speed. With the custom and the 650 I think I have the best of both worlds. If I was in your shoes I would get the MS since the wife already has a 900. It would be good if you could get a test ride on the MS to see how you like it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Before I got my MS I rode a friends Honda Shadow 750. When I got my MS, leaving the dealership I almost jerked the clutch hand loose taking off. I am very pleased with the power of the MS, and am looking forward to improving that with intake and TFI.

If you want ba-11s out torque and a smooth ride that loves corners, go with the Meanie. My .02.

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Before I got my MS I rode a friends Honda Shadow 750. When I got my MS, leaving the dealership I almost jerked the clutch hand loose taking off. I am very pleased with the power of the MS, and am looking forward to improving that with intake and TFI.

If you want ba-11s out torque and a smooth ride that loves corners, go with the Meanie. My .02.
I've ridden the MS with and without the basic performance mods. Two different bikes altogether!!!!! spend the money fo' sure. :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Both bikes are nice and both come with the full size frame. Like some one mention earlier the 900 may be more comfortable but keep in mind that the maan streak is stronger and faster and if you do a lot of highway then is just the way to go. Now, check out the honda vtx 1800!!! my friend has one and is faster than the meany and also for a older model you can find a good deal too. I still like the look of my 900 custom and no bigger engine will make me change my mind.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've ridden the MS with and without the basic performance mods. Two different bikes altogether!!!!! spend the money fo' sure. :wink:
I still have a warranty on it, so I can't make that kind of mod without voiding it. But it is the first thing once I am either clear of the warranty or just can't wait anymore. Don't want to see money go to waste though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have both a classic 800 and a meanie. I would take the meanstreak over the 800 any day. Its bigger and handles much better in my opinion.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
From one norsky to another............get the Meanstreak. It's torque curve and power will be lasting a little longer before you will find the need to upgrade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts