Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I've been in love with the meanstreak for a few years now and have finally clubbed together enough cash to buy one. I'm set to look at one next week and would love your comments on what things I should be looking for that could be bad/problematic.

I'm worried that if I don't actually go with a list of things to check I'm gonna get star-struck and just yell "YES!! I'll take it!" before I check it out.

Thanks for your time

Stuart

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

that's exactly what you should do-sign the check and buy the bike :wink:

awesome machine for the dollars-change the pipes,get rid of the goat belly,install power commander,
gas it up and ride!! :lol:

oh and get the lime green one :shock: :lol:

good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Love my Mean streak :D
Just buy it.
Mine is green and it's a great colour. But then here in Australia the '04 only comes in green so it's not like I had a choice
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys

So the main thing to look for is that the bike exists? Fair play!

By the way, what the hell's a 'Goats belly' and is it easy to remove :?:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

under the frame behind the pipes is big resonator connected to the exhaust
when you re-pipe this will be removed and placed on your coffee table as a conversation piece :lol:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
stuey99 said:
Hi guys.

I've been in love with the meanstreak for a few years now and have finally clubbed together enough cash to buy one. I'm set to look at one next week and would love your comments on what things I should be looking for that could be bad/problematic.

I'm worried that if I don't actually go with a list of things to check I'm gonna get star-struck and just yell "YES!! I'll take it!" before I check it out.

Thanks for your time

Stuart
Welcome Stu...great choice in bikes. I love the meanstreak, just buy it, its a Kawasaki and basically bullet proof.

When you say you clubbed together the cash, I have in mind the Grand Theft Auto playstation games...your not out actually perpetrating crimes to gain your cash are ya? :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
If new buy right away, if used at 3000 mi. they should of changed the oil 2 or 3 times buy now, check the levers,grips and foot pegs for scratches just to make shure it wasnt dropped, other wise its a bullet proof m/c. GOOD INVESTMENT. Happy buying.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
One of the bike magazines (I fogot which one) recently had a long term review of Suzuki 1600 Maurader (which is essentially 1600 Mean Streak). The writer has been riding it for about a year I think and the only problem he had with the bike was that there wasn't anything wrong to complain about.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
ppark said:
One of the bike magazines (I fogot which one) recently had a long term review of Suzuki 1600 Maurader (which is essentially 1600 Mean Streak). The writer has been riding it for about a year I think and the only problem he had with the bike was that there wasn't anything wrong to complain about.
I read that magazine article I think....

·
Registered
806 Posts
stuey99 said:
So the main thing to look for is that the bike exists? Fair play!

By the way, what the ****'s a 'Goats belly' and is it easy to remove :?:
Bought mine used and the primary issue was a visual as the guys have already stated. Look how well it's been cared for, that's usually a good indicator of how well the owner looked after fluids etc but you have some other good input above. Do your research on $$ so you don't second guess yourself, pay the guy and bring it home with a huge smile on your face. Then really open your pocket book and get some of the upgrades the rest of us think we've wisely invested our dollars on.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Like everyone else said, buy and ride. A very satisfied MS owner. The only problem I have with my MS is that it won't melt the snow on the roads. Is there an upgrade for this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like the guys say, if second hand then have a check for the usual scratches etc ............ then buy it and RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE it :grin: :grin: . Brought my meanie 1600 last May, orange all we could get in the uk at that time. Wanted the black but now just love the orange colour, the bike .... well I would take it to bed at night but the wife gets in the way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stuey- buy the bike! I got mine back in August and rode until the snow came. It's an excellent power cruiser, even before you do any modifications. Get the Feb/March 05 issue of Metric Road Bike magazine and turn to page 46 for a rave review of the Mean Streak. The tester loved the performance and handling of the bike.

·
Registered
459 Posts
No problems as yet with the Streaks. The colors for 2005 are red or black. The 2004 colors are blue or black. Excellent choice of bike.
There are only 2 rules for this bike: 1. Ride & enjoy.
2. Refer to rule #1.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Keep talkin' boys, I want to hear all the dirt on my bike for next year!!!! :wink: I'm soooo getting one!!! I am going out tomorrow to get the Metric RoadBike Mag. so I can read that article.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What I would check

1- mileage if it has 5-7K and original tires you wil bwe replacing them soon.
2- tires- this is a $250-$400 additional cost
3- customizing- make sure you are not paying for custom work you don't want... ie a custom 2 tone pink and purple Biker **** Barbie paint job
4- maintainance reciepts not a must but nice to see
5- check nuts and bolts for sighns of over tightning, and weathering.
6- sanding marks on tank or bodywork. this could mean the bike has been down
7- check paint for trash or runs- repainting can be a sign of accidents, also if it is custom you don't want top pay for a bad one.
8- fluid levels- if the levels are low it is an idication that the bike has had a rough life.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts