Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol: hey guys and gals new to the forum, logded on to hotboat as cavey lavey. are their any mods to the stock exaust that i can do? keep in mind its a cali bike so i would love to eliminate the cat. conv. from the system i like the stock look but need some noise. whats the best system for mapping the computer. help slip-ons or baffel removal and converter removal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any suggestions or pics would help.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome raasta!

oh boy-the meanie guys are gonna let you have it :lol:

dump the stockers and re-pipe and remap and ride :wink:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
welcome raasta!

oh boy-the meanie guys are gonna let you have it :lol:

dump the stockers and re-pipe and remap and ride :wink:
Right on. Get rid of the pipes. I must be the only one with a meanie who hated the looks of the stock pipes?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya. ????? muzzy- v/h or ?.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good question. I am sure some guys who have them will be posting. I am going to lose the Cobras and was thinking about Morton or VH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was thinking about getting the Cobra 2-1 Pro Pipes and the Cobra Fi2000 Fuel Controller. Anyone have any experience with this? I also live in California so I don't know if there is anything special I need to be aware of.

Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was also thinking about VH. I called and talked to VH abut the 2-1 pro-pipe. They told me that they do not make a 2-1 pro-pipe for the mean streak. It was desinged for the 1500 clasic. Sure you can make it fit, but they do not recomend this. In Fact, they told me that if you buy their 2-1 pro-pipe, and fit it on a mean streak, you void all warranties. They do not list the mean streak on their web site.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/metpphs.html

I like the 2-1 look, so I was looking into those type of pipes.

I like the Muzzy 2-1 pipe, but after talking with them, they do say that their pipe will turn color. It will blue. Was not too happy about that.

I think I will go with the Hard Krome Xccelerator II. Great company, great pipes. However, they are not available yet. May have to wait a few months.

I am in California too. Tarzana, in the San Fernando Valley. Same questions about modifications here in Cali? Anything special, legal, or unsafe that we need to be aware of regarding performance modifications and removal of the extra stock exhaust junk?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

talk exhaust - and they will come :lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am seriously getting schooled here, thx guys keep it coming.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thunder manufacturing also makes 2-1 pipes for the mean streak. I talked to them and they mentioned that it will increase performance. Here is theie web site.

http://www.thundermfg.com/Pages/streak_fi.htm

Scroll down and click on the picture of the orange mean streak with their pipes. That's them.

This looks like a very good pipe. If it does offer the performance of the Muzzy pipe, then it makes it even better, and with Thunder manufacturing, you could buy the 2-1 pipe, the Tornado air intake and the powercomando all together from one place. They even pre map your powercomander, with their dyno tested map, for the best performance with this combination. I guess you can't beat that. However, personally, I did like the look of the Hard Krome Xccelerator II pipes better.

Kind of interesting side note here... When I talked to the Muzzy guys, I mentioned that Thunder MFG also makes a 2-1 pipe. Then their mood changed and they quickly said, "those guys copied our design." I then changed the topic, did not want to make them angry with me.

There are other posts here of guys that have added aftermarket 1-1 pipes to their mean streaks. You just have to search for them. They usually include very detailed information about their power gains and personal comments. I found them to be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thoes are hot, the supertrapp meanbrothers are hot too, and loud.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think the eaglecat swoops look beter than the morton skirt blowers. I may have to rethink again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pipes blueing info

This stuff actually works.....I know of a few people that have actually used it, so I found this info on a page and copied it here.....

Once discoloration occurs it can be removed using commercially available products like Blue-away (CCI#12-415) or Blue-Buster (CCI#35-125). These products are mildly abrasive, so after several applications the mirror finish of the chrome becomes satin-like, so the best way to deal with blueing is to prevent it or cover it up. To prevent motorcycle exhaust pipe blueing many folks claim coating the inside of the header by spraying high heat VHT paint into it will prevent or reduce blueing. Another way is to coat a piece of rag with oil and swab the inside of the pipe header with it.

This supposedly will cause a carbon layer to form and insulate the metal from some of the heat. The preferred way to treat pipes is to coat the inside with a ceramic based liquid like Dyno Kote (CCI#11-499), or Blue Shield (DS#KR005) made by the folks who make Kreem Tank Protectant. Both these are recommended for clean new pipes, and a good roughing with a wire brush internally to remove any flash rust and a spray with a good solvent to remove any oil is recommended.

The Dyno Kote kit comes with a brush and solvent. After applying the coating as per the directions, the pipes should be baked so the coating cures completely. A regular household oven works fine if you let the ends of the pipes hang out of the door and bake at 150 degrees for about 20 minutes, or at the temperature and time specified. I have seen motorcycle pipes coated this way cut in half as a demonstration and the coating stays intact. The ceramic coating is highly insulative, much like the ceramic tiles on the space shuttle and will insulate the metal pipe from the hot exhaust gas.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
MS Pipes

I took my stock system off with the intent of removing the cat. converter and/or the baffles re-installing it.
Yeah, what a waste of time and effort. Good luck trying any mod.s on the stock exhaust. I wisely decided against it and put a set of Cobra Speedster Short's on my bike. They have a similar look to stock but sound wicked.
And they come with a regulator remounting kit so you can hide it up by under the swingarm where the cat. convertor used to be. It really cleans up the bike's looks.

Good luck,
Carlo.
If loud pipes save lives, then do extra loud pipes save more lives?

·
Registered
50 Posts
trikebubble said:
I took my stock system off with the intent of removing the cat. converter and/or the baffles re-installing it.
Yeah, what a waste of time and effort. Good luck trying any mod.s on the stock exhaust. I wisely decided against it and put a set of Cobra Speedster Short's on my bike. They have a similar look to stock but sound wicked.
And they come with a regulator remounting kit so you can hide it up by under the swingarm where the cat. convertor used to be. It really cleans up the bike's looks.

Good luck,
Carlo.
If loud pipes save lives, then do extra loud pipes save more lives?

Trikebubble,

Sorry if you've answered this somewhere else but I can't find it. How do you like those Cobra Speedster Shorts on the MS? I've been looking and looking and think I've settled on the 'longs' for my '03 MS. I want loud but not obnoxious/neighbor hating loud. I'm also considering the V&H longs shots and the Hard Krome 3" straights. (I like the look of the long pipes). I'm leaning with the Cobras b/c of the power chamber. Do you think this makes any difference? Any idea how the Cobra's sound compare's to the other two? I know the other's are VERY loud. Any help would be aprreciated!

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
I have the Speedster shorts also and was sold on the "Powerport". I love the look and they sound great(read: loud). As much as I like them I think if/when they need replacing I'll go with the Hard Kromes. They seem to get just a bit more out of the engine (BTreaves post )and they're just a bit wider.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ughhh....I'm torn. I love those Hard Krome 3" big straights. What to do... I'll have to buy another bike so I get get both sets of pipes. I guess I'll keep reading. It seems like a lot of folks LOVE their HK!!!

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Brady,
I really like my pipes. I know that true 2 into 1's or equal length pipes are better, but I like the clean look of the Cobra's and am happy with the performance and sound. I will second what kingofwings said, they are loud, real loud, pass the car alarm test loud. But I like 'em that way.
As far as comparison with other pipes goes, i don't know. I would reckon that in "real world riding conditions" the performance differences amongst most top pipes would be hard to notice.
FYI. I also really like the look of the Muzzy 2-1, like Crue has on his ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts