Registered
4,352 Posts
re

look at hard krome pipes for the stock look-great pipes

but i like the muzzy 2-1 pipe :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have V&H Longshots and everyone loves the way they sound. I take the baffles out when I want to be real loud and annoying.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Doc,
The best way to hear them and find out what brand pipe you're listening to is to chase one down when see or hear it. People are usually eager to brag about their bike, pipes included. Other than that try listening to some off manufacturer websites. In my opinion the cobras sound too raspy and cheap, V&H sounds deep and throaty as well as bub and hard krome. Each pipe in the manufacture line sounds a little different (not much) except for the straight throughs. I went with the v&h pro pipe because of the baffle options I'll have to help get the decibles adjusted to late night neighborhood levels. Mine should be on by the weekend. Good luck with your pipes...kind of feels as important as choosing which bike to purchase :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I posted a similar question, Bikeaholic said no. Since then I have talked to dealer mechanics, read all sorts of internet pages and talked to different pipe manufacturers. All pipe manufacturers suggest remapping, but if you talk to their staff long enough they eventually confess. As for everyone else, they say as long as you don't mess with the air intake you should be fine. If you do want to remapp I hear the dealer can help you out or you can just get a power commander. By the way (fire/emt) what changed your mind from the hard krome? They are solid pipes and if they had their quiet baffels out yet they would be my first choice. But since they don't come out till december they aren't an option for me. Hope you enjoy whichever pipes you end up with. I hope I enjoy the ones I end up with too :lol:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i don't know why dealers and some folks feel the need to confuse folks on this issue
of jetting/mapping with a pipe change?

i have done several bikes myself and ride with hundreds of bikes that have had no
problems with tuning after a pipe change only. although every bike is different
prolly 90-95 % go with no tuning other than maybe a air/fuel adjust on carbed bikes

the changes with pipes occur after combustion so it really won't affect the tune much
mostly just change back pressure on the motor :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pipes for your Meany

Whatever brand of pipe you buy, check out V&H Big Shots, The new
Cobra's or the New Muzzy Drag-Style Cruisers.

The all have one feature in common that is a POWER CHAMBER!
What the power chamber does is provide the performance of a
2 in 1 setup but still keep the look of the 2 in 2.
As far as i know only the 3 manufacturers above have a power
chamber setup for specific models of pipes.
Ride Safe,
MOF

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the v&h pro pipe on backorder for a few weeks now, but have changed my mind and now have a set of big shots in transit. I'll post the results by next week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
About the only thing you will need to do when you replace pipes is to plug the emissions hose to prevent backfiring on decel. A marble works perfect. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the V&H pipes on my 2002 Meanie and they have a great deep sound. I grilled the Sales Manager at my local dealer about remapping as he has a 2003 with Cobra's (decent sound but I really like the V&H better) and he admited that he hadn't done it, wouldn't spend the money on it and really didn't see the need and that the push was really confusing people. Service Manager gave me the remapping pitch but admitted you really didn't need it with the pipe change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive got V&H straight shots on my meanie. they sound great....They rumble when idling and when you get on the throttle the are awsome...

·
Registered
37 Posts
shooter said:
About the only thing you will need to do when you replace pipes is to plug the emissions hose to prevent backfiring on decel. A marble works perfect. :)

Is the emissions hose the one coming off the 2" box behind the radiator fan on the mean streak? also is there any emissions parts i can ditch, aside from the resonation chamber?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info. I viewed the home page as a cashed version, but the website appears to be down. I'll check back later. Any other sites with great info like that?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

don't know of any as complete as gadget's - his is pretty much the bible on the
1500/1600. i have a couple for other model bikes but gadget is a great guy and if its not
on his site you can email him with questions and he will gladly help out
i have learned many things from him on these bikes and his willingness to share
is something very valuble :wink:

there is also caddman who is well versed on the nomad and is referred to on gadget's
page with his intake mod on the nomad-another very knowledgable guy with these bikes :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts