Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is my take on the MS SE..... Just depends on what your wanting. The MS has a close ratio transmission which means you have to shift alot sooner.
5th gear comes along pretty fast. Once your in 5th cruises right along with plenty of giddy-up. 70-90mph effortlessly. RPMs are abit high for a v-twin of this size, 3500-4000. IMO Mine has a pretty stiff ride, will be changing out to progressive rear shocks. Handles great at higher speeds(stable). My MS is still new with only 600 miles on it. Averaging bout 30 mpg (hope it gets alittle better). I am still learning the ins and outs of this bike. These are just my opinions , hope it helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No, I figured air in the shocks would make it stiffer...Am I wrong???
Also I need a Low pressure air pump with a gage...Progressive makes one that I am gonna buy....Any suggestions on the model I should get? They have 3 ranging from 30psi to 100psi...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Get the 0-60. I think the shocks with no air are setup for an average rider-150 lbs. If you weigh more than that you are probably bottoming them out when you hit any kind of bump. I rode with no air for a while, had the dealer add some at the 600 mile service, made a big difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the Mean Streak is mostly a "one up" motorcycle unless you buy another seat? I like the looks of the "special". Makes me wonder if one can get a good deal on a showroom leftover during the winter. What's the suggested retail price for these in Canada? Around 15thou?

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Anyone around here owns a Mean Streak-Special and how do you like it, etc etc?
My son just got his new '08 Meanie SE and absolutely loves it. He has ridden my Vulcan 2000 before but wanted something a little less heavy with a little better handling. He's very pleased so far and has mentioned he'd love a 6th gear for he freeway however. Rode it myself the other day and was quite impressed for around town, canyon carving and short rides. He gets the looks all the time even out on the freeway. Gorgeous bike and I'd love one myself. Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son just got his new '08 Meanie SE and absolutely loves it. He has ridden my Vulcan 2000 before but wanted something a little less heavy with a little better handling. He's very pleased so far and has mentioned he'd love a 6th gear for he freeway however. Rode it myself the other day and was quite impressed for around town, canyon carving and short rides. He gets the looks all the time even out on the freeway. Gorgeous bike and I'd love one myself. Bob
Thanks for your reply, Bob. Sounds like a nice bike, sure looks good.
Hopefully I have chance to try one out one of these days.:D
(Maybe I shouldn't the wife said....:eek: .....)

·
Registered
10,122 Posts

Careful there mate!! I don't own one but had the pleasure of trying out Meangirl's. That thing is sweet for sure!! Very quick & nimble, easy to handle. If you got the hots for one before & then you try it out............well, you're prolly gonna be in trouble! :biggrin: :biggrin: 8)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Mean Streak SE is a good bike. Very maneuverable and mean looking. The engine feels best at higher rpm's. I usually don't shift until I'm at around 4k rpm. On the highway when I am getting up to speed, I let her wind out to 5k or 5.5k before shifting.

I bought mine in January of this year and already have 14k miles on her. This is my commuter bike so the mileage is all highway. As for the air in the shocks, look at MOM. There is a setup chart for the rear shocks based on average road conditions and rider weight.

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Hope you do get a chance to ride one soon. It's very impressive and nimble. Careful though it's hard to turn your back on! Bob

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
Get the 0-60. I think the shocks with no air are setup for an average rider-150 lbs. If you weigh more than that you are probably bottoming them out when you hit any kind of bump. I rode with no air for a while, had the dealer add some at the 600 mile service, made a big difference.
I keep about 22psi solo, 40 psi 2up. Got my shock pump on eBay for $30 delivered.
BTW, I've got the Classic (05) but it's pretty much the same bike.

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Sure do know what you mean---! My son and his wife were concerned about that seat too but hated to lose that red seat as well. They went with this backrest for the SE Meanie. For short rides they are going to be okay with it for now. There are some seat choices on this page too. That backrest though really looks good on the bike. Not too tall and done in black finish as well. Hope it all works out for you.
Welcome to Kawasaki.com

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
I keep about 22psi solo, 40 psi 2up. Got my shock pump on eBay for $30 delivered.
BTW, I've got the Classic (05) but it's pretty much the same bike.
Thanks for the pressure settings freightshaker. Will forward them onto my son.

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
Thanks for the pressure settings freightshaker. Will forward them onto my son.
Remember, he must use a zero loss shock pump, or a very well regulated air pump. A regular gas station or home air compressor could damage the shocks. $30 for the pump vs a few hundred for new shocks is a pretty good deal IMHO. BTW, I was told to never exceed 45psi.
Also, my air pressure in my tires are 40/40 vs the manual posted of 28/36 f/r, again, that's for a Classic, but the Meanie
is probably the same.
This is the shock pump that I have.
My pump
Another Ebay Shock pump

·
Registered
762 Posts
One thing about your meanie.. if you follow the break in instructions it asks you to keep your RPMs low. You get used to shifting the bike in low RPMs (3000 or less) during break in. If you continue this after break in, you are missing out. I found that the meanie LOVES to be reved higher, not like a sport bike but higher than most cruisers, into the 3500-4000 rpm range. That is really its sweek spot as far as power is concerned. It is definitely different than your avarage torque monster.

Regarding other factors... a LOT changes on the mean streak after about 1000 miles. The pipes sound louder, the engine runs better, mileage improves... so don't judge too much on performance during break in.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I have my M95 set up for two up riding. Added a Jardine back rest and mustang seat. Had no choice. My wife likes to ride with me. But I feel I have the best of both worlds. A bike that hanles great and a wife that comes along.

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Remember, he must use a zero loss shock pump, or a very well regulated air pump. A regular gas station or home air compressor could damage the shocks. $30 for the pump vs a few hundred for new shocks is a pretty good deal IMHO. BTW, I was told to never exceed 45psi.
Also, my air pressure in my tires are 40/40 vs the manual posted of 28/36 f/r, again, that's for a Classic, but the Meanie
is probably the same.
This is the shock pump that I have.
My pump
Another Ebay Shock pump
Thanks again for the additional info, freightshaker. Will forward this along as well to my son. Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is there a magical spot

Well, Something great happened today.While riding into work tonight my low fuel light starts to glow. I reach and hit the mode button to verify that it came on at 80-85 miles like it always has since I purchased the bike. To my disbelief it says 100 miles..BAM! just like that, from 80-100. Hope this trend continues. Also I am starting to shift at higher RPMs and ride at higher RPMs. You are so right, I think the MS Loves the extra attention...Thought I would share......Mel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts