Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My meanie is getting due for some new skins. I'll put a 190 in the back and probably a 120 up front. Just want to know what brand/model you guys had good luck with. Price is not really an issue, just want good rubber that will last 5K or better.

I'm looking at the Bridgestone Battlax BT-020 right now.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
I run the Dunlop D208 zr's.
have about 4000 mi. on them with no problems.
but they sure stick like glue in the corners :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Is that a 190x45 ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up installing Metzeler Z6's 190/50 in the rear and 120/70 up front. I like it, I actually think the bike handles better now, definatly stickier tires than the OEM. I like the low profile of the rear tire. Next go around I might try the 120/60 up front.

BTW a 190 is as wide as your going to get on while inflated(I installed the tires myself). It took a little bit of convincing to get it pass the hub. Once it's in there are no clearance problem though.

Just thought I'd share.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
I'd be interested how the Z6's hold up ... I was running the Z4's on the FJR and they went ~6500 miles ... tried to get Z6 replacements, but there weren't available at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Take note that putting a 190 on the 5" rim does not actually make the back look wider, it actualy looks more like a full profile tyre from the side. I tried a 200 and it looked terrible (I think the actual width increased less than 1cm), so I ended with a BT54R 180/55. This is not a bad compound I estimate to get +- 7000km with it. But the next one will be a BT56 200/45, after the rim is modified to 6".

Also the standard front is a 130/70, my country you don't get them at all so I had to revert to a 120/70 BT56 and now you end up with a 2cm gap between the tyre and fender - I am making a new fender to hug the smaller wheel diameter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Meanstreak Tires

I have a 04 meanstreak and I have the Battlax 200/50/17 on my bike and have no problems at all after 3000 miles. I got a much fatter look with mine. I have pictures I will post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Re: Meanstreak Tires

vameany said:
I have a 04 meanstreak and I have the Battlax 200/50/17 on my bike and have no problems at all after 3000 miles. I got a much fatter look with mine. I have pictures I will post.
Please....Please!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SA_Meanstreak said:
Take note that putting a 190 on the 5" rim does not actually make the back look wider, it actualy looks more like a full profile tyre from the side..
If it's not wider then why do we have to fight it past the hub when a 170 goes in and out with room to spare? I don't know if the lower profile but I beg to differ, it does look wider
 

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
Joined
·
32,545 Posts
wider

by staying with a narrow rim, the contact patch is actually drawn in towards the rim, giving you a smaller contact patch than with the skinnier tire. to really take advantage of the wider tire, you would have to replace your rim to accomodate it. sorry i can't explain it better, but it is true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
meanstreak tires

I am tyring to add the pics of my bike to the site but when i attach them the file is to big. Can someone tell me how to reduce the size of the file?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
BFC said:
SA_Meanstreak said:
Take note that putting a 190 on the 5" rim does not actually make the back look wider, it actualy looks more like a full profile tyre from the side..
If it's not wider then why do we have to fight it past the hub when a 170 goes in and out with room to spare? I don't know if the lower profile but I beg to differ, it does look wider
You'r right, I also forced it past the hub, but with a 200 I would expect a really fat look, at least a 2cm increase, like the warrior and to me the side view was just to much of a full profile because of the narrow rim size.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top