Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How to Install Softail Deluxe Hard Bags on a Meanstreak

Materials Needed
2 ea 1/2 inch thick, 1 1/2 wide piece of steel 12 inches long.
2 ea 1/4 inch thick, 1 1/2 wide piece of aluminum 12 inches long.
2 ea 3/4 inch thick, 1 1/2 wide piece of aluminum 2 inches long.
4 ea 8mmx1.25x55mm bolts. get 10.9 or 12.9 hardness or use SS
2 ea 3" and 2 ea 3 1/2 inch 3/8 bolts. Grade 8
1 ea 3/8 tap and drill set

1. Remove the 6mm bolts holding the chrome covers on and remove the chrome covers.
2. Remove the bolts holding the tie down brackets on and remove the brackets.
3. Remove the 8mm Fender Bolts from the fender and struts.
4. Holding the steel bar up to the strut mark the location of the forward 8mm fender bolt and drill a hole in the center of the steel bar at the correct location.

5. After drilling the hole come back and bolt it onto the bike and mark the other fender bolt location. Take it back off.
6. Using the drill for the the 3/8 tap (NOT A 3/8 DRILL BIT) drill out the forward tie down bolt hole and tap it to 3/8 threads.

7. Reinstall the bar again with the fender bolts and mark this threaded hole and drill it with the 3/8 drill bit. This hole in the bar is not threaded.
8. Now you should be able to install the bar using the 2 fender bolts and the 3/8 bolt as well.
The 3/8 bolt hole will be the forward mounting hole for the bags.
9. Bolt the bar onto the bike using only the 8mm fender bolts and place a 3/8bolt through the forward bag hole and bolt the bag onto the bar using the 3/8 bolt hole.
10. Mark the second mounting hole and take the bar back off and drill and tap this hole for 3/8 threads.
At this time the bar should only have one threaded hole in it and that is a 3/8 hole in the rear of the bar.
11. Now bolt the bar back up again and make sure the bags bolt on properly. you wont be able to get em tight because they will hit the shocks. so now its time to make the standoff brackets.

12. Take the steel bar with all the holes in it back off the bike AGAIN and place the 1/4 aluminum bar and mark the location of the two 3/8 holes and drill them.
13. Now center the two blocks of aluminum and drill them using the 3/8 bit.
I had the blocks welded to the aluminum bar. You dont have to but it will make mounting alot easier if you do. I would recommend it if you can.
14. Now mount it all together and you shoud be able to mount the bags and everything should fit.

15. If you want to make the covers you can take cardboard like I did and cut them out and shape them using that first. After you get it right using cardboard then get you a piece of thin aluminum. I used .050 aluminum plate.
I marked 3 holes centering between the other holes in the bracket and drilled and tapped them using 10-24 tap and drill set then bolted them on with SS 10-24 buttonhead bolts.

If you need to space the bags out further due to different shocks then just get thicker blocks say 1 inch instead of 3/4.
I actually thought I would need 1 1/2 at first and had a buddy mill a little off at a time till I got it right.
If you want to mount the license plate like I did you can use a piece of 3/16 steel bar 1 inch wide and bend it using a vise to fit as I did.

All pieces were primed and painted before final install.
It ain't purty underneath it all but thats what the covers are for.
I ain't the best at conveying my ideas on paper but if your confused then I did my job well LOL.
Anyone wanting to do a better how to feel free to document your progress better than I did.
Good Luck making your Meanstreak a FatBagger.:smashfrea

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can use clear caulk to hold the wires to the side liscense plate, instead of duck tape for a cleaner look. You will need to use some zip ties to hold wire in place till caulk dries. (I realize the wires won't be seen by the bags, just a tip to be used in general). Nice job!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can use clear caulk to hold the wires to the side liscense plate, instead of duck tape for a cleaner look. You will need to use some zip ties to hold wire in place till caulk dries. (I realize the wires won't be seen by the bags, just a tip to be used in general). Nice job!
Thanx Marycarol00
Thats a Great idea. Never would of thought of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts