Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 04 Meanstreak 1600 and am extremely satisfied with it but, like everyone else, I'm ready to customize. I'm having a tough time finding aftermarket parts specific to the Meanstreak. VTX parts are everywhere though! As far as I know, the Meanstreak has been in production longer than the VTX so what's the deal??? Am I missing something? Like the sites for meanstreak parts. Help me out please! Thanks. J

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

its honda baby :lol:

they have always supported their bikes heavily with goodies-their smart :roll:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bike is right. They do make sure there are plenty of goodies in the HondaLine parts bin.

I guess it helps to be number one in sales, as Honda is. The aftermarket guys look at actual and potential sales to see if they will get a fair returm on their investment when tooling parts. Even CNC requires an investment in programing time and cutters.

I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing Honda's VTX numbers are BIG. Take a look at the members rides at cruisercustomizing.com and you will get an idea of VTX owners vs Meanie owners.

I think the Meanie parts will become more common as the bike is out there for awhile, if Kawasaki doesn't make major changes. I read that the Japanese makers are getting the message about change and what it does to the aftermarket parts makers. Let's hope.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i think shooter's right-the message is sinkng in but awfully slow
i still say put me in charge of the goodie dept for kawi and i'l drive every one of us to the poorhouse from buying chrome :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
let see......I have a 04 meanie also everything above the triple tree is after market, so is the exhaust, forward control, rear pegs, LED blinkers all around, left side tag mount and a chin fairing. The air cleaner, power commander and seat are on order for when the bike comes back from paint.

I don't know what you are planning on customizing but I had no problem spending a couple of grand so far...... :p :lol:

·
Registered
458 Posts
BFC said:
I don't know what you are planning on customizing but I had no problem spending a couple of grand so far...... :p :lol:
Maybe he is talking about the Kawasaki site. There isn't a whole lot on there, but if you look at other sites there is stuff available.

I have a seat, risers, Reaper bar clamp, brake/clutch reserv. covers, bars, and grips on order. A touch over a grand already and there is lot more out there. :D

edit for mirror ?

BTW, what mirrors did you get?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yea-i'm speaking of factory stuff, there's aftermarket stuff out there sure, but i still think
the factory should support models with acces. at an AFFORDABLE price and reap
some of the dollars - harley does it,honda does it, shoot even victory does it

it seems it takes too long for kawi to get in the game - look how long the 1500 classic
has been around and it finally has what i would call good support of factory pieces,nomad
same way

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
yea-i'm speaking of factory stuff, there's aftermarket stuff out there sure, but i still think
the factory should support models with acces. at an AFFORDABLE price
I agree 100%. They are way behind the curve on this. They are losing a lot of money to aftermarket manufacturers, that they could at least be sharing in. Seems like Honda and Yamaha are getting the message.

I think I read Harley does more $$$ in accessories than they do in bikes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

its a huge source of income from nitwits like me who will spend their last nickel
for another piece of chrome :lol: - believe me H/D has made a bundle off of me
over the years :?

·
Registered
221 Posts
ipscshooter said:
I have a seat, risers, Reaper bar clamp, brake/clutch reserv. covers, bars, and grips on order. A touch over a grand already and there is lot more out there. :D

What is a "Reaper bar clamp"??

And why can't I quote correctly?

-Ryan

·
Registered
458 Posts
ryanmross said:
What is a "Reaper bar clamp"??

And why can't I quote correctly?

-Ryan
Check out Aeromach under Kawasaki. It's basically a fancy shaped bar clamp.

I don't know. Happens to me at times. :wink:

BTW, How's things in W. Dundee? I lived in Algonquin at Willoughby Farms until a little over 5 years ago. I hear it's really grwoing out there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is growing out here.. quickly.
We moved here a year ago.. they are building along Randall Rd from Higgins all the way north. Mini strip malls, large stores every stop light, everything everywhere. It'll be like Schaumburg in a year. Just cover the suburb with one roof & make it an indoor Mall.

Large houses being built all over too. It's good, but not if you had a nice view all of these years.. like those areas in Sleepy Hollow. I'd be bummed. We bought a place in Tartans Glen by the Springhill.

Thanks for asking.. and for the info.
-Ryan

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Biggest problem with the metrics...lack of aftermarket support, just wait till you've had the bike for awhile and they drop the line...parts disappear real quick after that. No one beats HD in the parts selection! Honda is ok...the Star line is gettin good at it...everyone else is playing catchup!

·
Registered
22 Posts
At this point I don't even bother with the Kawaski shops because they always sell me the wrong parts anyways - I've taken back handlebars, floorboards, and even rear brake covers, because they don't know how to outfit the meanstreak. They couldn't even help me order longer cables (for the supposed longer handlebars) because they claim "not many people change handlebars unless they are Honda owners". Sheesh.

I have lots of luck, however, with after market parts on websites like those mentioned above: cruisercustomizing.com, JP Cycles, Westend Motorsports, even directly from Kuryakyn, etc.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Last bike was a VTX 1300, like you said, 100's of Hondaline parts, and 1000's of aftermarket parts/acc. You should be happy you don't have a Nomad, really not much available at all, but it really doesn't need a whole lot. Of all the metric bikes, Yamaha rules in aftermarket/OEM parts. I don't think Kaw has enough sales for aftermarket companies to invest in tooling for such a small production run (IMO) or they would be out there. The few companies that do tend to be very expensive. BB

·
Registered
410 Posts
it isnt that the vtx has more accessories than your MS. it is that HONDA has more accessories than KAWASAKI. kaw always had a weak accessory line. They dont seem to care about producing accessories. ALSO look at what else kawasaki makes they are into industrial equipment. Motorcycles is a extremely small part of kawasaki's business. Honda is the largest motorcycle maker in the World! Where i live you see way more hondas than you do kawasaki;s

chris

·
Registered
864 Posts
it isnt that the vtx has more accessories than your MS. it is that HONDA has more accessories than KAWASAKI. kaw always had a weak accessory line. They dont seem to care about producing accessories. ALSO look at what else kawasaki makes they are into industrial equipment. Motorcycles is a extremely small part of kawasaki's business. Honda is the largest motorcycle maker in the World! Where i live you see way more hondas than you do kawasaki;s

chris
I'll agree with you on Honda's bike manufacturing, but they also make cars,trucks,lawnmowers,garden tractors, ect. As A corporation, Honda is bigger in general, as far as accessories, Kuryakyn has a entire book just for the Goldwing, and you can literally replace about everything on a VTX with Kury parts alone! Not to mention other acc. manufacturers. Kaw used to offer more, but evidently got stuck with old accessories that don't fit the newer models and lost interest, case in point, look at the older 1500 Nomad add-on list, 2 to 3 times more stuff than the new one. BB

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
I will mention that I recently went to the Kawi site looking for something for MeanGirl's Meanstreak. I was really surprised at all they had available in the way of chrome. There were four pages of accessories. I think there's one page of chrome accessories for my V2K.

Did they just recently add a bunch of accessories to their line? Of course, it didn't help me much, since I needed parts in black. She's got the SE.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts