Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to choose a bike. I like the meanstreek and the vtx1300, as well as the suzuki m50. I know you guys are biased for the meanie, but it is more expensive then the other two bikes. Do you think it is really justified, if all I want to do is cruise?

·
Registered
534 Posts
"All I want to do is cruise?" -- That is the same thing I said when I bought my first bike, Honda 750 shadow ACE. Well, it does make a difference. First of all, we are going to be biased here and heavily favor the Mean Streak, but if you go to the Honda forums, they will favor the VTX. It is all going to come down to your own personal informed decision. Best advise given in any site is to go and sit on the bikes to make sure you are comfortable with the seating position and the weight. More HP or better handling are not going to matter if you are not comfortable. I think that the VTX and M50 are more traditional cruisers, where the MS is more of a performance cruiser, it will handle and perform better. Here are just a couple of sites FYI. Well, to answer your question, YES I do think it is justified and well worth every penny. You will be very very happy and never regret it.

http://www.motorcycleworld.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=9000
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/littlebigtwins/index.html
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=640
http://www.metricbikes.com/BP_Pages/2004_1600_MS.htm

I am assuming here that this will not be your first bike!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
As far as the Suzuki goes the M95 is the comparable model to the Meanie. Made by Kawasaki and basically the same bike. The M50 is comparable to the Kaw 800 line. Suzuki lists engine size in cubic inches instead of cubic centimeters (cc) just to confuse us.

OMG did I hear the H - word? :x
At least it wasn't that *other* H - word :eek:

Have fun shopping!!!!!!!!!

Phatboy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rob,

All I do is cruise as well. At present I ride a Suzuki Volusia (800 cc bike). I like it because it fits me. I don't like the lack of power/throttle response compared to my riding buddies, especially on the Interstate, and the brakes could be better. However don't underrate the fit of the bike to you. After an hour or two of riding, the fit/ergos of the bike assume PARAMOUNT importance and the go factor is of less importance as long as it is adequate. (Don't get me wrong - I like FAST and ACCELERATION as much as the next guy)

However, I like the fit, the suspension, ease and smoothness of shifting of a bike as much or more than just raw power. The Meanstreak is a great bike. For me, since I just go cruising, the 1600 Classic will probably be the bike I upgrade to. But I will not sell my Volusia. I just love the fit/ergos and the motor is adequate for most of my cruising - I weigh 225 lbs. Even with the relative lack of power, comfort while cruising is important.

After I get my 1600 Classic, I will redo the exhaust for more HP and torque. Then I will add a Power Commander air kit and computer. I will go with the advice of the Power Commander folks as to the pipes. There is a lot of potential in the 1600 motor.

But the very first mod I will make is a Mustang seat. The next mods in order of importance: better brake pads, windshield, saddlebags, crash bars. Only after all these mods will I begin any engine work.

My point: don't overlook comfort and fit. All the power, etc. in the world is no fun if the bike is not comfortable. Of course, keep in mind that I am 56 years old, stiff and crochety...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well spoken, I will really have to spend time sitting on the bike and hopefully test riding the bikes before I make my purchase. The handle bars seem a bit far forward when I sat on it, but didn't seem too bad.

I really like the meanstreek, but I might have to wait longer to get it because of the price...

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Rob, the handlebars on my 1500 Classic are a bit too far forward for me, too. I just ordered some risers, which I think will take care of that problem.

·
Registered
534 Posts
rob2004, you can always look into used Mean streaks. I know that here in Southern California there are a few used Mean streaks for sale. I also saw a few on EBAY. If you are not too concerned with power, then you could get a used 1500. The 1600 came out in 2004. I have put 3000 miles on my Means Streak and it still looks brand spanking new and handles just the same, maybe even better. I have seen some MS with less milage than mine for a lot less than new. If I were to do it again, I would look for a used one that had no more than 4-5K miles or so. I think that at that point you are still getting a new bike for a real bargin. Good luck on your shopping!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

forget the 1300vtx - if you go to "H" go with the 1800 :lol:

girls like the meanie better :wink:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I looked at a 1300 and 1100 VTX before I finally bought the 1500 Classic and I have no regrets bringing home the Vulcan.

If you do decide on a VTX....I agree with getting the 1800. You'll be disappointed in the 1300 or less.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you just want to cruise there are many bikes that can provide you a comfortable ride. If you wan't all around performance, it's hard to beat the Mean Streak. However in my opinion, the stock Mean Streak requires a different seat and at a minimum a set of risers if you are going to do any serious cruising.

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
I ride the Maruader 1600 (meanie), my buddy rides a Marauder 800 (M50). He was talking ALL year about trading up to my bike until he rode it. He didnt like it at all, way too much metal for him. All goes with your size and what you are comfortable with. Ride a friends if you can! You might decide you don't need to spend the money. Me..... I thought the M50 felt like a tricycle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Inverted forks, duel front disk with triple piston calipers, 1500 or 1600ccs of pure v twin power, digital fuel injection, shaft drive, wide & low profile tires, mag wheels, lots of crome, long mean low look with that contured rear fender and no I am not a sales man. LOL. After I did my homework I was done hook, line and sinker, you could stick a fork in me, $sold$ I saved for two years in my mx fund, new or used you will be A happy camper. After all I was a yami man, now Im back to kawi. good luck and happy shopping. O and PS whatever you do dont sit on one you just might ride it home. ( DID I GET HIM GUYS? ) GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks again for all the advice. I definetly want a bike that is comfortable for long cruises, but also appreciate good performance and handling.
Sounds like this bike does it all nicely, maybe with a little modification, (seat and risers). Now it will come down to saving up the money, since I really want a new one, hopefully when I'm ready I can find a sale on last year's model type of deal.
rob

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks like we did our job guys! and thanks 1RAASTA for the final nail on the coffin. I think rob2004 will be extremely happy with his mean streak, just like the rest of us. Keep us all posted Rob2004, we would love to hear how it all goes.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
1RAASTA pretty much said everything I wanted to, I would just add hydraulic clutch as well. I have 2 Honda's and the Meanie and frankly the Mean Streak is better engineered than the Honda. I know that may be blasphemy to some but after working on both brands I find it a lot easier to work on the Mean streak than the Honda's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rob,

I understand you very well, mainly because I am very tempted to get a Meanstreak as well. You will need risers unless you are very tall (I am 5'8").

IMO a Mustang seat is a necessity. The Mustang seat was the first mod on my Volusia. They really understand comfort on cruisers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts