Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am currently doing up my bike. I am in the middle of a top end rebuild, I have stripped the bike down and I've taken the head and the barrel off and removed the piston.

I know how to rebuild it, that is NO problem, but I have never rebuilt this bike myself, it's always been done at the shop. What I need to know is bore size, because I am ordering a wiseco piston and ring kit from your side of the pond and I need to know whether to order 56 MM or 54 MM.

My bike has been re sleeved and with that re sleeving I would not be surprised if it was bored out a tiny bit.

Most of the time the head of the piston will have the size stamped on it but this does not. I don't have any feeler gages so I can't measure the bore or anything.

If I can't get it worked out tonight I will take the barrel to school tomorrow and then take it to the bike shop tomorrow afternoon to see how big it is.

I can't wait till my bike is done, I'm getting the wiseco piston, an FMF pipe and silencer, custom graphics and then it will be done because I already have after market bars, Vforce reed valves and after market plastics.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Trent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Over here we can buy a digital caliper that measures in milimeters or inches from Harbor Freight for less than $10 US.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any calipers, which is why I asked. Problem solved though, and **** am I lucky I did it, I took my bore and my piston to a bike shop in town I usually use called All cycles and Karts. Anyway I told him it had been re sleeved and he measured it. The stock bore size is 54 mm and generally when the 125's are re sleeved they go up to a 56 mm bore, both 54 and 56 mm pistons are both readily available.

He measures it and the piston and tells me whoever did it took it BACK to 53.95 MM, so a 54 wouldn't fit. That limits my options heaps as I the only decent brand I know of for that size is Pro X. So I ordered one of those. I measured the bore with a tape this morning and it looked like 54 mm, I was going to go ahead and order a wiseco piston and ring kit, lucky I didn't because the 54 is way to big.

The bike will be finished in the next few months, it's just a matter of finding all the parts I need to make it happen. Pics will be up when I am done.

·
Another old dirt bike guy
566 Posts
Use a bore gauge to measure the inside of the cylinder, you can't do this with a ruler or caliper. Any good bike shop should be able to measure this for you if you do not have the proper measuring equipment.

UPDATE - My Bad, I see that you did take it to someone with the proper equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts