Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm currently doing some modifications on my classic -99.
One thing is that I've polished a couple of Mean Streak wheels to put on my bike.
The front wheel need some modifications because it's not bolt on.
But how can I solve the problem that the classic have mechanical speedometer and the wheels from the mean streak have no such function for fitting that?
Can you make som kind of adapter? Weld some tracks in the rim for the speedometer hub? Or is the best way getting a electronic speedometer?

Mike

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Just my preference, but I went to an electronic speedo. Mine crapped out and my options were to buy a new one for 300, an Ebay maybe for 100 or have mine repaired for 175. I found an Autometer ProCyle speedo on Ebay for 60. I made an adapter to run the sender off my hub. The main reason for doing this is to have a programmable speedo.
In your case you will have to pick up your bike speed from somewhere. There are magnetic bolts available and you will have to make a bracket for the pickup. It's not the easiest thing to do, but in the end it will be a better setup.
The old Pro Cyles speedos where just that..a speedo, odometer and trip odometer. The new ones have all that a built in tach. The are a bit pricey, but pretty nice. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think I'll go for a new electronic one. But they are all so small. We have a big one in hour housing on the tank. what didi you do to make it fit? An adapter for the housing? any pictures?

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Mine is a 5", and it fit perfect. I will take a pic and post.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
No....In my case, my original speedo was driven off the front wheel. I adapted a Dodge speed sensor to my front hub. There are magnetic pick up available that you could adapt off the front or back wheel. This all depends on you ability and availability of a machine shop. If you don't have someone that can machine what you need, it may be difficult.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts