Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Memphis Shades Fat windshield with Trigger Lock Mount when I bought the Batwing.

Front view

Headlight is retracted into fairing. On the Softail it would be out further. The trigger lock on HD is on the outside of the forks. On Vulcan 900 the trigger locks are just in front of the forks. I'm guessing there is about a 2.5" difference. I doubt I could get a light bar to mount with this setup.

Backside of fairing.

The deflectors wouldn't go on were they where pre-drilled. I drilled new holes to make them fit. If the fairing was back closer to forks about 2 inches. They would have fit.

Memphis Shades Trigger Lock Mount for the Vulcan 900.

Bought it from Phat Performance.
$189.95 Batwing (for HD Softail)
$60.95 7" Windshield grad. black
$32.95 Deflectors

The 7" windshield is too low for me. Wind hits me at eyebrow area( I'm 5'10"). Shakes my glasses pretty badly. 9" w/s on order now, along with the tri-pouch.

Hope this helps any one interested in the fairing.

Reguards

·
Registered
162 Posts
That looks good and the price is right.. is it paintable...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thats friggin awesome ! Wondered what it would look like on a Vulcan,now I know.I have the Memphis Shades Triggerlock mounts also,maybe gonna get me a batwing .

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
what kind of modifications did you have to make?, did you have to fab up your own bracketts or were they a close bolt up?

btw, it looks great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blinker,
From what I have read. It is paintable. The Batwing is made out of windshield material, just blacked out.

Cranky CJ,
Brackets are buy off the shelf "Memphis Shades Trigger Mount" for the Vulcan 900 and "Memphis Shades Fat Windshield". The bolts will line up for the Batwing also.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Is there any way to flip that shield mount around to move the mounts back?

Sucks not to be able to use a lightbar, but it does look good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen other HD fairings attached to Kawi bikes in other areas of BTK. You might want to do a search. The Fairing I have is made by Memphis Shades for their mount systems. I just took the chance it would fit on the 900. When I bought it the add says it is for HD and may not fit any other makes/models.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rich,
I looked at the mounting brackets and the forks. I am not sure about Lowers kits from Memphis Shades. But it looks I could reverse the brackets (use left for right side, and right for left side) and remount further back on the outside of the forks. That might allow the light bar. I am looking at going with Wal-mart lights down on forks near fender.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pharoah, How closely did the supplied mounting plates, align with the Memphis Shades/Kawasaki Mounting Kit?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fairing came with 4 studs in it. They are the same pattern as Memphis Shades Fat w/s. They align with the Kawi mounting kit perfectly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rich,
I took it off this morning and tried to reverse the brackets. They are bent to less than 90 degrees and the trigger lock ends up towed in. I'm not thrilled about bending aluminum(too brittle). I'd try to fabricate new brackets. Or a complete other way to mount it.

Another issue would be to get the "buttons" mounted onto the forks. To pull them straight back brings top one right next to top of triple tree.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are pics of the inside of the fairing with and without brackets mounted.

If anyone has more questions or wants to see something else. Just ask.
John

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Rich,
I took it off this morning and tried to reverse the brackets. They are bent to less than 90 degrees and the trigger lock ends up towed in. I'm not thrilled about bending aluminum(too brittle). I'd try to fabricate new brackets. Or a complete other way to mount it.
Oh... I meant reverse the brackets where they mount to the forks... not the fairing brackets.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like if the bracket were flipped left/right, it would pull the buttons directly back and line them up with the sides of the forks, but I found the installation instructions, and it won't work since the brackets clamp under the headlight mount... you'd have to refab the entire bracket.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
OOOOOOOOH so much for my DVD/NAVI flip up screen idea
I THINK you're kidding, but if not, I wouldn't go that way on a bike anyways. Those units are too fragile for the vibration and harsh ride on a bike, and even CDs tend to skip.

Best bet, go with an MC-specific GPS like a Garmin Zumo or TomTom Rider and slap an 8gig SD card in there... I've got enough tunes on my 4 gig card to get from LA to Phoenix, scenic route to San Diego, and back to LA without hearing the same tune twice AND skipping over a few of the tunes or even albums that I'm not quite in the mood for.
Just run the GPS audio output into the stereo's AUX input and you're good to go. A big flip-screen is also a big theft temptation.

I'm running the Wide Open Custom fairing... 4 speakers and fits a standard single-DIN head unit, includes a weatherproof flip-down cover for the head unit. The way the cover is designed, it still wouldn't work with a flip-up LCD, but it'll "hold" 200 watts :mrgreen:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Do you plan on trying to add a light bar? Wonder if you would still have the issue of the Cobra light bar not fitting...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts