Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm not sure ifin I like it or not :oops: :oops:

It tends to distort anything you see by looking thrugh it & what's way worse is that when the wind blows a certan way it really buffets the helmet to the point it's hard to see :shock: :shock: :? You can tell it's really pushing the wids aside as my shirt sleves are also really blowing around more than without the shield.

It's sitting about 3" below my line of sight & it appears to be up as high as it will go.

We shall see how things work out in a few days as I'm still getting a feel for it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

rat- my 19" on the 800 sits about 2" below sight line and it was ripping my head off at
70mph-i had to install lowers and take several test rides adjusting them to finally get it
stopped but after several attemps it works great now :wink:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would think that as expensive as these things are they would have engineered them to work without lowers. Going to play with it a tad & try to see what kind of wind conditions cause the buffetting.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

also i had to tilt it forward a little bit to kick the air up over my head more :wink:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's pretend I'm stupid :p

When you say tilt it foreward I'm assuming you mean move it more verticle instead of having it angled back as far as it will go.

Was not to bad today, but the wind was not blowing like it was yesterday. I'm slowly getting accostomed to having it on & while I'm not in love with it yet, it's sort of slowly growing on me :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yea you got it- pull the top out a little so its more vertical-that helped mine

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had it up to 60mph tonight & the head shakes got worse the faster she was going. In town it's not bad but on a ring road it get's really anoying & hard to see :? :? :?

Will tweek it a tad tomorrow & see how that works :p

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Windshields are tricky! Who'd have thought that?! Here's my story. I wanted to get the Kawasaki windshield - but their largest for the 1600 is 20" and when I test rode a bike with that it just pounded on the top of my helmet - that's no fun.

So I ended up going with the Rifle 22" model. What a difference. I've got it angled back all the way and the air flow is right over the top of my helmet. If I put my hand up there while I'm riding, I can feel the turbulence about an inch over my helmet. I look right over the top of the windshield - the top of it is about level with my nose. I'm 6' 2" in height.

Another factor is probably the shape of the shield itself. At 60 or 80 mph that air flow stuff is pretty tricky. During my cycle shopping I rode a Victory with a really tall windshield and it blocked everything - in fact it was pushing on my back really strongly as the air was coming in behind the shield - that was weird and I think would have been really weird for the passenger.

Hopefully playing with the angle adjustment will give you the extra height that you need to be riding in the "calm zone". I will never go back to riding without a windshield - I love that thing - I can cruise forever behind that.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've got the Rifle 22" classic L on order (with lowers) partially in thanks to Freedom's reviews- I'll post my results when I get it on. So the Fats 21" fit with your lightbard ramprat?

Phatboy

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've adjusted the winsheld twice now & have used aprox 75% of the adjustment trying to get rid of the wind. It's sitting as high as it will go & have aprox 25% verticle movement left befoer it's maxed.

It's better but on the interstate running at 80mph it was buffiting the helmet so bad everything was a blurr :( Could not focus on anything it was bouncing the head around so bad. Never had anything like this happen without the shield on the highway before.

Figgure I'll drive it a day or two before adjusting it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts